Weird / interesting but good observation about my vox amp...... ????

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FortyEight, Jul 31, 2020.

1. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

So.. I got this Vox Cambridge V9159 used off facebook. Apparently the man who owned it had a music store and this was his little amp he played at home in his dining room for fun. This man passed away and his son is selling off his music stuff that was left from the store and what not.

I liked it mainly for the price and I thought the sound was good enough when I went to check it out. I don't know exactly when it was made but from looking into it it looked like a model that was produced around the year 2000.

Anyways.... to my point. It seems like the more I play it the more..... zippy it sounds. In a good way. Is that possible? At first the clean sound was a bit..... lackluster but now it seems like it's livened up. I realize that it's a solid state amp with a tube preamp and I've always dialed in a little bit of gain and a tiny bit of vibrato that you don't even notice, to get some warmness from the tube. Which seems to work. But it seems like lately I've noticed a more.... I don't know it's hard to explain but a bite to it and resonation when I'm playing it clean with the gain way down (has a gain knob and a volume knob) that wasn't there when I first got it. It has always sounded really good with the gain turned up a good amount but even that might be a more biting now.

I don't play it very loudly mostly but it has gotten a workout a few times.

Is that possible? Almost like the circuitry and stuff sounds a bit better now that it's had energy running through it somewhat regularly. It probably sat for a while. Not sure how many years but it was definitely not being used when I bought it.

Either that or it's something with my guitar sounding better which I also bought around the same time. But that one wasn't as neglected I don't think.

Anyways... I'm happy with it. I would've preferred an all tube amp but I didn't quite have the budget for it. I gotta buy tires for my car before winter and the budget is tight so I was trying to be wise with my money. I paid 110 for it.

What do you guys think? Can that happen or have you ever noticed this before with any of your amps?

Attached Files:

2. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Google "cambridge-itis"

Could be that issue... I'm not that familiar with your amp model. I have my Cambridge Twin Reverb awaiting the octocoupler right now.

3. stnmtthw

stnmtthw Friend of Leo's

Probably loosened up the speaker.

I think its so cool when someone posts about how happy they are with their gear.

4. W.L.Weller

W.L.Weller Tele-Holic

Do you have recordings to compare? Because it's notoriously difficult to A/B audio differences.

Though the possible change could be in a component you didn't mention, the speaker.

5. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Speaker sounds most likely.

But I would not discount that you are subtly adjusting your playing to bring out the best in the amp. I think we all do that after a while.

Dismalhead and W.L.Weller like this.
  6. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Yeah I didn't mean to leave the speaker out of the equation. It could've woken something up with it too.

LOL. Who knows. I may just be hearing things differently too. I just thought it was interesting and wanted to know if anyone else had this happen with a used amp.

Chuckster. It's a Korean made one. Not sure if they all are. But it's got an 8" Celestion "Bulldog" speaker and vibrato. Boost gain and mid boost buttons (I leave the boost gain on all the time it makes it fuller sounding to me and when it's off it's really quiet.

I was leaning to the new pathfinder or almost wanted to spring for the super beetle combo. But this one was better for my wallet and I like the idea of taking older stuff that still works and giving it a home instead of just sitting in someone's basement. I'm not a big save the planet person but I think saving one thing from the landfill is probably a good things. I like to do that with bikes too.

I like that aspect of saving stuff but if I had a bunch of money I'd probably just buy something new. Although maybe not. Who knows. I don't have a bunch of money so I go this route. LOL.

My main exercise bike right now is one I rescued from on it's way to the dump. Some guy painted it with house paint and it looked pretty bad. I sanded it down and repainted and put some new tires on it and some bars. And I love that bike now. It's fun. I did buy a new gear for the rear hub so I could have the gearing I liked better but that too was just a used part in a parts bin at the bike shop. Anyways... . I digress.

I do like this amp.

Attached Files:

Chuckster likes this.
  7. Chuckster

Chuckster Tele-Holic

Cambridge-itis will cause the amp to suddenly lose volume and have surges of loud quacks... its very noticeable and unsettling. Common on the Korean hybrid tube/SS amps.

8. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

Haven't had that happen yet but I don't have a ton of time on it. I really like that amp. If that happens a lot I won't but so far nothing. Sometimes it takes a moment to kick on after I turn it on but i figured that was normal.

9. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

If I could find a Vox pathfinder 15r at a reasonable price I would jump on it. Their hybrids are excellent sounding amps.

FortyEight likes this.
  10. djh22

djh22 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Congrats on the rescue and enjoy!

FortyEight likes this.
  11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Congrats!

I love the Cambridge 15. I had two Pathfinder 15Rs and sold them, they alright. But the Cambridge I bought super cheap and was more impressed with them then the PF15R. It'll stick around for whatever, it's a good little amp.

FortyEight and Michael A. like this.
  12. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I have the Cambridge 15 amp as well. I also have 2 Pathfinder 15s (no reverb). I prefer the Cambridge, and particularly enjoy the mid-range boost button. I did modify my Cambridge by using the original speaker from the PF 15 that I converted to a 10" speaker. The PF Bulldog speaker has a bigger magnet and to me gives a fuller sound than the original Celestion in the Cambridge.

One reason your amp may sound better due to your using it is that the jack may be making somewhat better contact. I use contact cleaner in mine occasionally and the signal cleans up. I'm very careful with inserting the jack, these are PCB mounted and the traces can crack if there is any movement due to a loose retaining nut. You may also want to use contact cleaner on the jack and do several insertions into the rear panel with the speaker out to help clean these.

I now use mine to drive a WGS 10" speaker in a cab I made from a broken PF that I got off CL for $10.

2015-03-19 06.20.27.jpg 2015-01-22 19.57.35.jpg IMG_20160902_104408842.jpg

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 12:03 AM
    glenlivet, FortyEight and BorderRadio like this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Seems like a good deal to me !!!

Congrats !!!

14. FortyEight

FortyEight Tele-Meister

super cool!!! Love the cabinet underneath. I don't need one as of yet but I may feel like I do sometime. You're one of the first guys that seems to like 10"ers for guitar. I was thinking that's what I wanted originally but this is what I ended up with. That little 8" sounds pretty good.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.