Weird Facts-Left Handed People

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Gravel Road, Mar 6, 2020.

1. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

It was estimated that last year 2,500 left handed people were killed using right hand use only products. Also, left handed people die sooner than right handed people. That just means that we will be very busy because there are a lot of slow right handed people out there.

2. Torren61

Torren61 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I've never seen as many left handed people as I have since I moved to Humboldt County. I know at least seven when previously, the only left handed person I knew was my wife and she was converted to right handed as a child growing up in Sydney.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

First thing we nee to do is clarify the term. It's not left handed, it's wrong handed. Thank ya, thank ya vera much.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

they is the devil

Sinistral and dextral, in some scientific fields, are the two types of chirality ("handedness") or relative direction. The terms are derived from the Latin words for "left" (sinister) and "right" (dexter).

5. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/...hree-myths-and-three-facts-about-left-handers

3. Myth: Left-handed people die earlier and suffer more immune diseases

The early death myth originates with a 1988 Nature paper by Diane Halpern and Stanley Coren: "Do right-handers live longer?" The psychologists analyzed death records for baseball players and found that those who were left-handed had died younger. But as Chris McManus explains, this is a statistical artifact due to the fact that left-handedness increased through the 20th century, meaning that left-handers, on average, were born later in that century. As an analogy, McManus points to Harry Potter fans, who tend to be younger than non-fans. "Ask the relatives of a group of recently deceased people whether their loved one had read Harry Potter and inevitably one will find a younger age at death in Harry Potter enthusiasts," he writes, "but that is only because HP readers are younger overall." If this statistical argument makes your head spin, let me offer you a 1994 study of cricketers, which concluded: "Left-handedness is not, in general, associated with an increase in mortality." A related myth, propagated by Geschwind, is that left-handers are more vulnerable to immune disorders. McManus and Phil Bryden analyzed data from 89 studies involving over 21,000 patients and an even greater number of controls: "Left-handers showed no systematic tendency to suffer from disorders of the immune system," McManus writes.

6. fishermike

fishermike TDPRI Member

Little known fact: that's actually how Jimi died. Left-handed person using a right-hand use only guitar. Tragic.

The right-handed mafia covered it up and said it was drugs. Pretty sure the CIA was involved.

7. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not sure about lifespan, however, I do know for sure that lefties are more intelligent than their dextral brethren.

8. Gravel Road

Gravel Road TDPRI Member

I was not that fast with a typewriter in school but I could wear out the typewriter carriage. typewriter.jpg

Charlie Bernstein likes this.
  9. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

@blowtorch beat me to making the point I was going to share. He's usually right about these things. I knew I should have left this one alone.

aerhed and blowtorch like this.
  10. blowtorch

Just putting this here for everyone to read, reflect and remember :cool:

11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

There really is no middle ground....

12. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Tele-Meister

Wonder if proportionally the right-handers faired any better with those same products.
    I suppose ambidexterity is more prevalent in left-handers.
    Southpaws, a term coming from baseball pitching, in boxing are usually a terrible proposition for orthodox righties, speaking from experience.

13. blowtorch

Someone asked me once whether I'd rather be right, or happy.
    I answered (of course) that there's no reason for me to not be both

And yes, you are either with me, or wrong :)

14. Toto'sDad

Oh really?

[​IMG]

GoldDeluxe5E3 and nojazzhere like this.
  15. Bluesboy3

Bluesboy3 Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

TD, clever how you took the actual original gif and "mirrored" it. Not bad for a righty.

soundchaser59 and Toto'sDad like this.
  16. Toto'sDad

:lol::lol::lol::lol: You KNOW though don't you? :D

Bluesboy3 likes this.
  17. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I throw right. Unless there's a Frisbee involved. Then its whichever one I pick it up with. I write left unless there's a chalkboard involved. Shoot pool left but play guitar right. You figure it out

preactor and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

This estimation comes from very serious, trustable and renowned scientists, obviously... :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

-tbln

Shuster likes this.
  19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

My drummer is a southpaw. Does everything left-handed (his drums are backwards!) except play guitar/bass, which he plays righty, to which I attribute his weird attack and playing style. He’s dang hard to imitate.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  20. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

Wow -- nobody's going to toss out the old "playing guitar is easier for Lefties on a RH guitar because you fret with your 'good' hand." Thank you all for not doing that. Now, too bad my MabBook can't have trackpad commands configured for lefties. Apple don' care.

LPBlue and El Tele Lobo like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.