1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weird days in vintage Fender tube amp pricing

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by theprofessor, May 13, 2019.

1. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

i just dont get it. with the smaller amps you just have nowhere to go, you can tame down a twin or showman with an attenuator they are really good nowadays. playing a real gig with a deluxe? i need a twin or showman. i wont ever be caught without the ability to piss people off.

2. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've gigged with big amps and small amps and here's what I've found. I prefer the bigger amps but it's not about their power or volume. Nothing sounds as good to me on stage than the room filling sound of my 410 tweed Bassman. I don't have to turn it up to have a very broad sound that I can still hear well outside of the beam of the speakers. Still, I take the right tools for the gig and sometimes that's just my 5e3, but whenever I can get away with it I take the Bassman or the Vibro King.

Telecastoff1 likes this.
  3. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Afflicted

A bunch of good points being made here on both sides.

For me I felt the tide turning towards small wattage amps around 2007. Just a before that, 2005-2006 I bought nothing but 40-50 watt Fender type amps, one after another. A Fender 212 tweed Deville, tweed Bassman RI, two vintage Fenders a '65 and '69 drip edge Pro Reverb, two Vicky's a Super and a LPTT. Man I had a hardest time in 2010 moving that Vicky LPTT. After that I too went small.

A few years ago I got the itch and tried to revive the mojo so I bought a new Marsh tweed Bassman clone. I infatuated with that circuit. But I would be lying if I said I turn it on often. Peavey C30, Blackstar HT1R and Marshall DSL20 with half power capability get all the love.

I still love old tube amp designs. But honestly I have become bit of an armchair warrior with them. Btw, my area's gigging scene just happens to be the absolute worst I've ever witnessed for anything loud. For example, DRRI's and AC15's are not moving, considered overkill. Also one man bands with prerecorded backing tracks and DI taking over. Would hate to be drummer! I only see kits at festivals or big holiday events. Efficiency and cost are prevailing. Don't see it ever changing.

4. strat a various

strat a various Friend of Leo's

Every thread about amp or guitar prices should have this info featured within two or three posts: Price is the result of supply meeting demand. Also, it's every sellers job to sell for as much as possible and every buyers duty to buy for as low as possible ... so, anytime someone asks, "Why are prices like blah, blah, blah ?" It's the Supply/Demand equation.
    Up in Houston, there's a vintage guitar and amp store that has some nice stuff, and manages to sell most of the good vintage gear for more than the Ebay completed sales price. There are lots of rich folks in Houston. Oil money, IT money. The more shipping goes up, the more regional markets will diverge from the national average. If you like used amps, drive to poorer areas, check out craigslist and the pawn shops/music stores. Small amps still in more demand, and easier to ship, though.

theprofessor likes this.
  5. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

Just hitting the celebrity owned bit, I owned a Fender 400PS tour used by Berry Oakley of the Allman Bros Band. Sold it for 8 times normal value....

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

The whole "a celebrity owned this, so it's worth more" bit is just crazy to me, though it is a phenomenon!

bparnell57 and Bill Moore like this.
  7. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Sometimes shops will keep an instrument that they think is really cool in some way and overprice it. It's usually something that they kind of want to keep and are in no hurry to sell.

theprofessor likes this.
  8. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

literally.....

9. Gin Mill Cowboy

Gin Mill Cowboy Tele-Meister

Zappa playing through a Pignose in 1976; foreshadowing the small amp trend by quite a few years;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.