1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weights of famous Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mrchen, Feb 11, 2021.

1. chucker

chucker TDPRI Member

i have given the general issue thought and decided 7-7.5 pounds was a sweet spot for a tele. up to 8 pounds is very acceptable. some are anal and specify chambered bodies or pine bodies and no doubt they have their reasons. it would be a thought to play a different design which could save you a couple pounds if the matter was that important.
    in the end i reasoned that it is a matter of balance. i wouldn't want an overly light tele either. you can have your preferences in any product but you shouldn't go off the deep end.

2. jwp333

jwp333 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

What a wicked looking bug. Looks like it could have come from another planet.

3. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

A member posted the other day that his wife called TDPRI the "nerd page".

Can't imagine why she'd say such a thing.

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

In my limited experience, (55+ years playing) I've played heavy, light, and everything in between guitars.....and honestly believe weight has nothing to do with sound and/or tone. Weight ONLY affects one thing....comfort. For years, I played guitars that were "boat anchors", and I simply never gave a thought to how heavy a guitar was.....only if it sounded good or not. However, a few years ago, (especially after a shoulder injury at the hands of a Special Ed student) a guitar's weight on a long-ish gig did become a factor in comfort. Most of my guitars hover around 8 lbs......except a partscaster I put together in 2018, which is a "tad" over 5 lbs. It was my "go to" choice for gigs, until eveything shut down. But weight affecting tone?......a hard NOPE! ;)

ruger9 likes this.
  5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I try to build guitars that are less than 7 lbs. That way, guitar pickers never complain about them being heavy. I have found once they get closer to 6 or below, they are balanced weird, and I don't like it. Soo... 6 1/2 lbs is my magic number.

Back when I sold guitars, I never had anyone request a heavy guitar, they all wanted light teles. I bet banjo pickers laugh at them uncontrollably when they discuss instrument weight. You ever picked up a Gibson Mastertone? much less a top tension banjo?

6. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

And in the 1970's the trend was toward heavier = tone/sustain. That's why high mass bridges became a thing.

I think the trend toward weight being a constant discussion is also due to how we buy guitars today. In years past you'd only buy in person - and that meant you got to pick up the guitar in your hands first. So you'd know right away if one felt too heavy or too light for your taste. Now many of us are buying much of our gear online so without that tactile experience in the buying process the only way to really judge is to ask for the weight and even the neck thickness measurements. I've put my guitars on my kitchen scale and it turns out all of them are in the 7.5 lbs range without me even knowing what the weights were when I bought them. So, now when I'm looking at a guitar purchase online, I ask for the weight because I know if it's not in that mid 7 lbs range then I'm not going to enjoy it.

McGlamRock and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

as the say down here, "do a Frog gotta water tight butt?"

Chubby Me ca: 1974 give or take.... with my WTLV 12 Country traveling production van in the background..

PICT1051.jpeg

8. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Connie Chung 108 lbs

Pickingthru and That Cal Webway like this.
  9. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I've personally played Vince Gill's "new" Nocaster.

Although I didn't weigh it. I would say it comes in between 6 and 7 pounds.

I would consider that to be light.

Guess I'll have to weigh mine now that there's an interest.

By the way, Vince still owes me $4 for the strings.:D

One of these days I'll tell you the story how he got it.

Martian, ruger9, Nelg and 1 other person like this.
  10. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Clarence White 50s burst is kinda heavy, I think.

McGlamRock and scook like this.
  11. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

It's never been a consideration for me either. I could not tell you the weight of any guitar I own. Generally speaking my favorite and best sounding guitars have been on the heavy side.

12. scook

scook Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Wasn’t it double body thick too in addition to the weight of the bender apparatus?

That Cal Webway likes this.
  13. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

I just built a partscaster out of ash body/ maple neck/ rosewood fingerboard that comes in around 8.5 lbs. I didn't think the weight would bother me as much as it was going to but I'm now second guessing myself wondering if I should have splurged on a more expensive (lighter) piece of ash. The main issue is that the instrument feels extremely "body heavy". I did play it for an hour standing up just to see how I would feel and it wasn't too bad but I was definitely starting to feel the burn on my shoulders. Whether or not there was a placebo effect going on because I was conscious of it the whole time is another issue. In an actual live setting I might not even notice it.

I do recognize that this topic only comes up frequently with strat/tele players, as anyone in the Jazzmaster, Jaguar, Les Paul world are good and used to 9+ lb guitars. Even the lightest electric bass comes in around 8 lbs as well, and those folks are standing up just as long as the guitar players.

Maybe it's time to hit the gym and quit complaining :cry:

Deed likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

I'm 74... that means I was 16 -17 back in the hey day of Fender.. 1962... driving the guys crazy at the Fender dealer here in Jacksonville, Marvin Kay's Music Center...

Back then no one wanted anything even close to light.. Light meant cheep... every time....

r

15. CapnCrunch

CapnCrunch Friend of Leo's

Did you find it in a closet over the hill in White Bird? I'm interested to hear about the VG central Idaho connection.

16. Otis Fine

Otis Fine Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

upload_2021-2-11_16-51-41.jpeg

That is a cool looking bug. Any way to make a light weight guitar out of them?

17. Dan German

Dan German Doctor of Teleocity

Until I joined TDPRI, I didn’t know people weighed guitars. :lol:

Tele-friend, ruger9, MickM and 2 others like this.
  18. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

Woe! I had no idea you were/are a banjo picker!

19. Ronkirn

yep... a 32nd degree redneck hillbilly...

r

20. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

sorry not much help but when tele weight bothers me I then I think about Jerry Garcia: "The combination of several heavy varieties of wood, plus solid brass binding and hardware resulted in an unusually heavy instrument, weighing 13 1⁄2 pounds (6.1 kg)."

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.