1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weights of famous Telecasters?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by mrchen, Feb 11, 2021.

1. mrchen

mrchen TDPRI Member

Haven't seen/read this one, at least not aggregated all into one thread and I thought it would be a fun thing to reflect on.

If anybody knows, or better yet has verified the weight of famous telecasters throughout music put them here!

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Obsession over the weight of a telecaster is an internet thing so I highly doubt people really cared about it before the "internets".

hemingway, ruger9 and radiocaster like this.
  3. Esquier

Esquier TDPRI Member

Heavier than you'd think!

ruger9 likes this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Keef's Micawber is apparently a boat anchor. Giving the lie to the myth that 50s 'swamp' ash were all featherweights.

Steve Holt and ruger9 like this.
  5. nicknklv

nicknklv Tele-Holic

The weight was proportional to the ego of the person playing it. The bigger the ego... well, you know ;)

AmpHandle and hemingway like this.
  6. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

It would be a fun thing to do, for sure, but not the easiest to get the verified info.

7. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

I've read that many Broadcasters are boat anchors. Then after some complaints from early users, Leo managed to source lighter ash, but the heavier stocks surely were still used and not be wasted.

ruger9 likes this.
  8. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, now that I own a "boat anchor" tele, and "normal weight" tele, and a "featherweight" tele, I can verify weight matters for comfort, not for tone. All 3 sound fantastic.

I have also owned others, of all 3 "weight classes", that just didn't do it for me. Weight is indeed an "internet" thing. Everytime I see someone (usually someone famous) start talking about "really light" and "resonance" etc... I just roll my eyes. We can all believe what we want of course, but there is no objective truth in the whole "lightweight sounds better because it resonates more" theory. There IS something to the theory "some guitars just have something", to THAT person, no doubt. 2 guitars made exactly the same can still sound and feel different. But there is no "better".

Crobbins, mojek, Terrygh1949 and 7 others like this.
  9. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, it's not worth obsessing over unless it hurts.

But I've done it. I look at my heaviest guitar (about 9.5 lbs) and think . . . that's too heavy.

But I've played it for 2 or 3 hours at a stretch and then carried it home without the world ending.

Too much time to think.

In fact I've just been over-thinking guitar weight on a different thread. Stop!

ruger9 likes this.
  10. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I played for 40 years without giving a moments thought to how much my guitar weighed.

Everything else is a lot more important unless you have personal physical issues.

11. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Gary Brawer, great luthier in SF, use to have a column in GP mg
    on the specs of stars' guitars.

Pretty sure wt. was included.

Cheap Trills and telemnemonics like this.
  12. blues

blues Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I have heard about light weights with any guitar well before the internet. I was never obsessed about it though.

I was aware of it for sure.

13. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Well not me.
    Only thing I remember about the weight of a guitar was the 70s "the heavier the guitar ,the better" motto.

Tele-friend, radiocaster and ruger9 like this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

If you check the definitive book on the Blackguard... Nacho lists the weights of each guitar.... While it's been a few years since I noted them, I'd guess the average is 7 ¾ pounds... that's 7 pounds 12 oz.

While there are a few that are sub 7 pounds, there are others that are bumping 9 pounds, and one that makes it there..

But guys, unless you're buying a vintage guitar.. that weight thing is out the window.

Swamp Ash, and all other ashes have been attacked by the Emerald Ash Borer, a beetle that devastates the trees.. Pretty much everyone that works in Ash has noted they are now charging a premium for the lumber... That gets passed on to you..

So specify Ash and the price goes up, further encumber the choice with things like "light weight" or One Piece, and you are gonna be suffering "sticker shock"..

Don't blame the builders, blame that damn little green bug.

r

[​IMG]

15. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Is it just me, or is alder heavier than ash? When I see weights on Sweetwater, it seems the alder guitars tend to run heavier.

Yes, yes, yes, I know there are exceptions and instances where woods are heavyweight and lightweight. I get that. I have a 7.0 pound ash Baja - that in an anomaly as well. I am asking "in general".

I really don't care much about weight, to a point - a 9+ pound guitar would start to feel heavy. My 8.0 lb Strat feels fine. I am a big enough guy to now worry about anything under 9.

16. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity

actually Alder and Swamp Ash (Southern Soft Ash) average out to be the same weight... of course because it's a naturally growing organic material there CAN be examples that deviate from the average.. buit 4+ pounds is the typical weight....

It's when someone gets anal and insists on a specific weight things can get costly...

Maguchi likes this.
  17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My alderman insists it's poplar to weigh heavy decisions.

Syrinx, black_doug, mrchen and 3 others like this.
  18. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Albert Lee's '53 Tele was light. He says so in his 1984 (before the internet) video: "I prefer lighter guitars".

Maguchi, MilwMark and nojazzhere like this.
  19. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Maybe because he played ALOT, and the lighter weight made it more comfortable. I recently bought a light tele for just that reason- 3 hour rehearsals/gigs. It makes a difference, at least to me at 51 with a bad lower back and now a wonky shoulder. People have always noticed how heavy or light a guitar is, but the whole Lighter is BETTER / MORE TONE / more resonance" stuff started with the internets- as a poster said above- too much thinking going on LOL.

20. DaveGo

DaveGo Tele-Meister

As I've related far too many times in related threads, my guitar-playing peer group believed heavier was better in the late sixties and throughout most of the seventies. Then minds changed. I remember in the early 90s looking at a '58 Les Paul reissue at a well known Dallas guitar shop and the very young and earnest employee helping me commented "it's a heavy one, so it will have good tone", the senior staff member overhearing the conversation cleared his throat loudly and cut his eyes at the young man as it to say "don't point out how heavy the guitar is". The wheel will no doubt turn again one day.

Maguchi, Tele-friend, Martian and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.