Weightlifters: how accurate are 1RM estimates based on 5RM?

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I’m a 60yo dude who has been lifting based on 5rep sets for several years.

I’m getting close to a PR in deadlifts (that would be 140kgx5). Today I did a set of 5 at 137.5. So what I’m saying is I’m just about at the bleeding edge of what I can lift 5 times.

The app I’m using to log my workouts reckons I can lift 155 as my 1 rep max.

I have never messed with 1RM lifts. I’m generally very conservative about going up in weights; I’m at the stage now where I rarely add more than 500 grams at a time, and I almost never fail to get my 5 reps. This policy has helped me make steady incremental gains and avoid injury.

But I’m kinda curious and considering adding 1rep sets to my routine.

So my question is: are these calculations of 1RM based on 5RM likely to be accurate, or am I gonna fold like a wet paper bag?

kbold

Friend of Leo's
AFAIK, the lower the reps, the longer the time between workouts (due to tissue damage/repair).
What is your gap between workouts?
I would think, for 5 reps at the max, you should only be doing twice a week.

KeithDavies 100

Tele-Holic
Not an expert - by a long way! - but I do lift a bit and we're about the same age. I understand the injury-avoidance concerns!

You've talked about adding 0.5kg at a time, which makes sense. Obviously the 1RM figure is almost 20kg higher than you're doing at present. How realistic does that feel? I lift less than you, but still, 20kg is quite a bit.

You could of course go up by 10kg and see how that feels. Can you do 3 like that, for example? That would potentially give you a gauge, halfway to your 1RM.

Personally, I wouldn't do 1RMs for training purposes. It would just be for curiosity. But I do 4s with my personal trainer from time to time. We mix it up a lot though - sometimes its 10s, for more endurance, for example.

No idea whether any of that helps, or whether it's just waffle!!

brindlepicker

Tele-Holic
I haven’t touched a weight in a little over a year ,but I think I used this for something close to guage without 1 rep all out.

weight x reps x .036 = #. #+weight = estimated max.

Really depends on your body’s efficiency too I think- fast twitch/ slow

Jupiter

Telefied
Ad Free Member
AFAIK, the lower the reps, the longer the time between workouts (due to tissue damage/repair).
What is your gap between workouts?
I would think, for 5 reps at the max, you should only be doing twice a week.
I’m doing an intensity/volume split for my main exercises:

Day 1: LOWER 1
Squats intensity (1 set at my 5 rep max)
Deadlift volume (3 sets at 85-90% of 5RM with 1-minute rest intervals)
Dumbbell lunges (3 sets of 10 with 10kg dbs—just added these a couple weeks ago)

Day 2: UPPER 1
Press intensity
Bench volume
Rings row (3 sets of 8-12)
Lateral db raises (drop sets to failure at 12.5/10/7.5/5kg)

Day3: REST

Day 4: LOWER 2
Squats volume
DL intensity

Day 5: UPPER 2
Bench intensity
Press volume (3 sets of 8 reps)
Pullups (24-27 reps over 3-4 sets)
Dips (1 set of 12)

Day 6,7: REST

I feel like this is working okay right now (I’m still making gains), but I’m always thinking about what the next phase should be. I’m about 10-12 weeks into this cycle, so I’m looking to change things up a bit.

Beebe

Tele-Afflicted
I haven't maxed out since highschool (mid 90's).

I played football in the south and we had weight lifting class everyday. Our grade would depend on increasing our 1 rep max.

I don't recall the process. I think we just added weight until we couldn't lift it. With a spotter of course.

These days I do Yoga.

brindlepicker

Tele-Holic
If you’re looking for changing up maybe wendler 5/3/1 program There’s a few variations.It worked good for me for a couple years, but I kept getting sick.
I’d do 2 days sometimes 3 days between workouts. Extra rest days didn’t hurt.

Even if you aren’t going up on the weight if your moving it faster or have less rest between sets you’re gaining.

At our ages most programs wouldn’t have full deadlifts twice a week. A variation rack pulls or partials might get subbed in. I did RDL’s and GHR’s good mornings.
Took too much recovery for me for sure. But it works for you so far. Check out Barbells are Big Medicine . You’re doing good anyway.

Last edited:

kbold

Friend of Leo's
I’m doing an intensity/volume split for my main exercises:

Day 1: LOWER 1
Squats intensity (1 set at my 5 rep max)
Deadlift volume (3 sets at 85-90% of 5RM with 1-minute rest intervals)
Dumbbell lunges (3 sets of 10 with 10kg dbs—just added these a couple weeks ago)

Day 2: UPPER 1
Press intensity
Bench volume
Rings row (3 sets of 8-12)
Lateral db raises (drop sets to failure at 12.5/10/7.5/5kg)

Day3: REST

Day 4: LOWER 2
Squats volume
DL intensity

Day 5: UPPER 2
Bench intensity
Press volume (3 sets of 8 reps)
Pullups (24-27 reps over 3-4 sets)
Dips (1 set of 12)

Day 6,7: REST

I feel like this is working okay right now (I’m still making gains), but I’m always thinking about what the next phase should be. I’m about 10-12 weeks into this cycle, so I’m looking to change things up a bit.
With the upper and lower split, that's twice a week .... so that sounds about ideal.

I haven't done weights for a long time, but I did like to alternate higher weights with higher reps.
One set I did like was 3x15 (don't know what it's actually called), which went as follows:
15 reps 50% to full flexion
15 reps full extension to 50%
15 reps full extension to full flexion