1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weighted Blankets?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jan 27, 2021.

1. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I swear by using a duvet. Never saw the appeal of multiple blankets.

On really cold nights we have an electric under-thingie heater. (Can't think of the official name!) It lives under the fitted sheet. I never saw the appeal of electric blankets: they replace what you are using and already like, and get too hot where they are doubled over. They also can shift around. The one you put under the fitted sheet has none of these drawbacks.

2. electrichead

electrichead Tele-Holic

Don't know about blankets but I am addicted to needing a fan to sleep.
    No fan no sleep even in the winter time..
    Not sure if it is the background noise or the airflow..

Ironwolf likes this.
  3. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Or a dog and a cat. :twisted:

The dog sleeps on the bed year round. In winter, one--or sometimes, both--of our cats get on the bed as well. One of the cats accepted the dog long ago, the other has at best established an uneasy truce. So my blanket is weighted on my left with a cat or two, and on my right with a 27-pound Bocker Speagle (Beagle/Cocker Spaniel mix). "And ne'er the twain shall meet." (If they do, suddenly everyone is awake.)

Sorry, @studio1087 (John), I know this reply doesn't answer your question. Is insomnia a recent development or a long-term problem? Does it have an identifiable source (e.g., stress, diabetic neuropathy)?

Personally, I have always been a "night owl." I was ADHD decades before that label was invented, but my Dad had his own labels for me. Regarding the AD part, he told my 6th grade teacher at the start of the school year, "Mrs. Jewel, Larry has a habit of tuning out the teacher." (I was like, "Thanks, Dad. It's gonna be a great year now.") As for the HD part, he nicknamed me "Jumping Jack Larry." (Thanks again, Dad.)

My mind wandered and I always had the "fidgets," even at night while trying to sleep. When I was about ten, I was once sleeping on the bed beside my Granddad, so that I could wake up and go with him to milk the cows early in the morning. I wasn't even aware that I was "fidgeting" even in my sleep until I heard my Granddad's tired voice lament, "Boy, you're like a worm in hot ashes!"

I now embrace my "night owl-ness." I've learned that I can sleep better if I go to bed later. I once had a job where I had to start work at 5am. I tried going to bed at 10pm, but found that I'd toss and turn and my mind wouldn't shut up. So I tried going to bed at midnight, and that worked. I typically caught up on some of the lost sleep on the weekends. That system worked for me.

This has been my practice throughout my adult/married life. For decades, my nightly ritual is to give my wife a back rub and then head off to my man cave. Typically I'm up for at least a couple of hours after my wife goes to bed. I play guitar some, but that tends to get me hyper. When I play guitar, I generally wind "up" not "down." So if you see me on TDPRI late at night/wee hours of the morning, now you know why.

4. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I'm the same way. I need the airflow.

5. Preacher

Preacher Friend of Leo's

OK I will chime in as many have wondered if they are a gimmick or what all the voodoo is about.

I am a large man and my wife is a large woman and we have a king sized bed. My wife's brain doesn't shut off like mine does when we go to bed. She has always said it "takes time for her to wind down before she can sleep" so she will lay there and listen to me sleep until she drifts off. I seem to suffer from restless legs sometimes which keeps me awake. It is true with my wife, about a half hour to an hour after laying down she will finally drift off to a deep sleep while I am moving my legs around trying to get comfortable. Eventually I get up and take some Tylenol and a half hour later I am asleep as well. This was our pattern for the last few years.

So at Thanksgiving my wife mentioned a heavy blanket. Now we normally sleep with a sheet and a suede type blanket and if it gets really cold the comforter comes out. My wife tells me about all the hub bub that is written about them and such, so with Christmas coming up I figured I would indulge her and get one.

Doing some online research I quickly found out that there were a few items you wanted to make sure of before purchasing.
    1) weight of the blanket needs to be 10% of the person's bodyweight. So if you are a 300# dude that means a 30# blanket.
    2) you want a washable option and many of these blankets are not easily washable in a machine and have a tendency to fall apart.

So I found a blanket that met our requirements and bought it from Amazon. It was not cheap but it was the size, the weight and was washable which is what I wanted.

We received it and put it on the bed immediately.
    First observations, this thing is heavy, as I said I am a large man and it was a load to lift it onto the bed. It is kind of like trying to pick up someone who was knocked out, it just was hard to get a handle on it. We got it situated on the bed and climbed in and I have to admit it was somewhat weird having that weight pushing down on you. My wife and I giggled a little about the weight of it but within 5 minutes she dozed off and then I fell asleep. That has become almost normal now, she falls asleep first before me, and I have not had a restless leg issue since we started using the blanket.
    Oh and I have had to wash ours twice since we got it the end of November and it looks the same as when we bought it.

OK the pitfalls: Of course you knew there would be some issues.

1) These things are heavy and if they creep over the edge of the bed their weight will have them wanting to slide off of the bed in the middle of the night.
    2) you do not want to try to pull a weighted blanket up to your chin in the middle of the night when the blanket is sliding off the end of the bed unless you have a really good grip. If you are pulling on the blanket and your hand slips you can hit yourself in the chin hard enough to make the room light up and almost knock yourself out.
    3) this is really not a pitfall but be aware, you will love this thing so much that you take it on vacation and you have to lug around a blanket that weighs as much as my normal carry on suitcase.

So from Preacher's house we give it two thumbs up and are believers!

6. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

I bought one for my wife for Christmas, she loves it. She says it helps her sleep. I don't like them; because of a motorcycle accident years ago I can't stand to have any weight on my feet.

7. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I got one as a Christmas present over a year ago, and the first couple nights I slept with it I slept like a baby. But I got tired of tossing that heavy thing around and after about a month or two, and haven't been using it much since. They do seem to work if you're not a person that turns much when you sleep. It's 15 lb with glass beads, and actually is a really nice blanket, with a very soft removable cover.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  8. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

I hate heavy blankets, so not for me. I'll take lightweight down.

There was a story recently about people who have a weighted blanket and left the house. Their tiny dog was under it and was struggling to get out and panting when they got home.

9. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

For some reason weighted blankets make me think of swaddled babies, they like it, I guess adults could too.

10. jimd

jimd Friend of Leo's

We have one and it works great for my wife. She is a dedicated athlete and trains extremely hard, but her anxiety keeps her up no matter how tired she is. The weighted blanket definitely helps her.

I was ok with it for awhile. It's not super warm. My problem was I tend to change positions in the night and I found that I was getting a sore elbow. I think I was constantly trying to lift the blanket with it to roll over. Now, she uses it and I don't.

11. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

The dogs won't allow the cats on our bed. Although, this one will sneak up there in defiance of their commands.

19130.jpeg

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.