1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weighted Blankets?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio1087, Jan 27, 2021.

1. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

well, my answer might be weird, but... i only sleep with one blanket, it is a baby blanket that's about 3 times thicker and heavier than a regular blanket. anything else just doesn't want to work for me. a baby blanket.

i have often wondered how i would sleep with a buffalo robe, but they are really expensive.

2. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Didn't help my wife. She doesn't move around as much tho lol.... She still wakes up in the middle of the night.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

They sold decently well last black Friday, but I've heard 0 people who actually bought one talk about it. Normally if it's great or sucks SOMEONE talks about them, leading me to assume they're mediocre.

driver8 likes this.
  4. Dano-caster

Dano-caster Tele-Meister

I like to sleep with the zipper down on my sleeping bag so I can hang a leg out...

boris bubbanov and DekeDog like this.
  5. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

My wife wanted one so I bought her one. It didn't last a week for most of the reasons already listed. But we have friends who are very happy with theirs. I think the trick is to get one that's not too heavy or too warm (in the summer).

posttoastie likes this.
  6. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Afflicted

My wife and daughter each have one and report better sleep patterns.

7. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I have no doubt that weighted blankets help some folks sleep. I have leg pain from diabetes. I need to balance keeping my legs and feet warm without the blankets being heavy enough to contribute to leg pain. Blankets, room temperature, and socks all have to be balanced against each other. The wild card in all this is a 40 lb. and still growing Weaten. She climbs onto the bed toward morning. I’m ok with her back to back but I can’t stand her near my legs.

8. Buck@r00

[email protected] Tele-Meister

I hadn't heard of these weighted blankets, but I guess I've been doing the same technique.
    I have an old afghan that my aunt crocheted. It's heavy but not too hot with all the air holes.
    I put it on top of my other blankets when my mind is racing at night and it does seem to help settle my brain

9. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

I'm curious as well about these. There is a lot of folks that seem to like 'em.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I sleep best with just a very thin , single layer of cotton sheet. I've got to be able to move. Once I know I am free to move, then I can settle down, and the colder the better. Something weighted would just make you feel trapped, and that's no good.

11. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

My 17-yo daughter asked for one for Christmas. It helps with anxiety. She seems to like it.

12. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

I think I'm a bit too claustrophobic for a weighted blanket but I don't think they're a gimmick. I think there is a physiological/nervous system calming response that they trigger. I'm guessing it's a mammalian thing. Most critters find comfort in being held, cuddled, coddled. Our skin is an incredible organ that relays an amazing amount of information to our brain about our relationship to the world and being bundled I think communicates safety and comfort which triggers the parasympathetic nervous system which is the 'rest & digest' part of the nervous system = SLEEP! Worth a try I figure.

13. soundchaser59

soundchaser59 Tele-Afflicted

This is what my wife bought, but it was sold as a cooling blanket. It worked for that, and now she just uses it all the time no matter what. She has more nights with sleep now, but still has half the nights of lieing awake. So 50/50 as to how well it worked. In winter I prefer some cotton sheets with a really high threadcount, and dense heavy wool on top. If her glass bead blankie gets on me it will wake me up and I'll get it off quick.

14. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Wouldn't the extra weight cause you to wake tired?
    Downunder we only need a cotton hospital blanket and a quilt in winter.

15. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

Our cheapskate version is furnace set low and have extra blankets - one rather heavy. A pillow over one side of the head with space to breath helps too. It's really nice when my wife's a weighted blanket but thats' not always a cure for insomnia.

getbent likes this.
  16. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Weighted blankets are not the same as heavy / warm blankets. Weighted blankets are a "normal" blanket for warmth, but with weights added; usually 10 - 15 lb range (4.5 - 7 kg).

Weighted blankets are a therapeutic tool used for certain mental and other issues. Some people with ADD / ADHD will feel a calming effect from the weight; the "trapped and forced to lie still" sensation can help to calm a busy mind. Many of those blankets you see in store are cashing in on this phenomenon for a money grab with clever advertising.

These are not for everyone, and not meant for everyone. There are other afflictions that these can help; my guess is it is a very narrow section of the population.

17. Chester P Squier

Chester P Squier Tele-Holic

It was just the opposite for us. During the cold spell, we dragged out our electric blanket, put it on top of the bedspread and the other blanket, plugged it in, turned it on, and slept noticeably better. Everybody's mileage varies.

The thermostat was turned down a little for the night.

18. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

I have one. My issue is when i am sleeping and go to turn over my leg/knee joint does not want to turn due to heavy weight of blanket. It wakes me up because of the twisting resistance it causes.

19. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

My wife loves having every blanket in the house piled on top ... which after a while I understood was the combined blanket weights not a problem staying warm. This was years ago before weighted blankets were 'a thing'.

Our son has sleep problems and it was recommended to get a weighted blanket for him. This was very early on in the weighted blanket 'fad when the only ones out there were $300 or more. So we found an old $25 Craigslist sewing machine built in the 50s I knew would be a workhorse to trample through any errant beads while sewing, got that working properly, then we made a blanket. He used it a lot at the beginning and occasionally uses it so we know he's had trouble sleeping. The other kid had to have one too (but doesn't suffer from sleep problems) so we made a second, it's piled under the bed apparently.

Now I see them at Target for $40. If you want to try it out, then get one there or I'm sure the other box stores have them at that price too. You might need to buy two of them to get at the correct target weight. The general target is 10-15% of your body weight for a 'twin size' blanket on one person.

Other things to learn about sleep problems:
    -keep to a schedule. Don't sleep in on the weekends or you reset yourself into jet lag for half the next week. Use an alarm on the weekend just like during the week (maybe set it an hour later). Continuing issue.
    -Get 'high kelvin' blue lights for areas of the house you need to be awake in (say the bathroom and kitchen). Use 'low kelvin' yellow lights in sleep areas or bedside table if you read at night.
    -Look into Melatonin to regulate sleep cycles. This helped a lot.
    -Experiment with weighted blankets. Find every blanket in the house and pile that on top to see if that helps. Then go shopping.
    -Don't do phone-based social media right before bed or the smart phone blue light will give you the same problem as above.
    -Don't do non-bed things in bed.
    -Have a regular bed time routine.

I am suspicious that most of the blankets people buy are not heavy enough and then they feel nothing changes. When you have a twenty pound blanket on a two hundred pound adult you feel it.

Oh, and get a duvet cover so you can launder that instead of twenty pounds of beads in the high speed spin cycle.

YYZman likes this.
  20. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I dunno.

What I would like to see, is a USA made, air conditioned blanket.

unixfish and electrichead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.