Weight vs Tone in alder body Teles

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by BRoberts, Feb 9, 2015.

1. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Ok, next question for the, ahem, experts!!

As I've been zeroing in on an AV64, I'm wondering will a 7.0lb alder body be too thin sounding(lacking mid-range)?? As opposed to 7.4, 7.5lbs?? This is one of the problems with online guitar purchasing...Any experience with alder Tele weight to sound comparisons will be greatly appreciated

2. hemingway

hemingway Poster Extraordinaire

That seems like as good an implement as any to open a can of worms . . .

3. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

^
    :D

4. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Better buy a 6.5, a 7.0, a 7.5 and an 8.0 to find out!

5. LKB3rd

LKB3rd Friend of Leo's

I don't think it is going to make any measurable difference in the sound, so I would go for the light one for comfort.

6. Mellencaster

Mellencaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The word is that a heavier body adds more sustain but I don't recall hearing it changes the tone in that respect .Good luck on your tone quest ,it can be a infinitive journey ;)

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Your part of Florida is swimming (heh) with guitar stores.

With all due respect, we don't want to hear about buying online. You're not in Nunavut - you don't have to! :)

You do realize that the overwhelming numbers of alder guitars are in the Middlin' range, and that a starkly light Alder body Telecaster is unusual enough that there's no base of experience we can offer? If you want truly light, you have to hunt down the right ash body - or use Paulownia and pamper the heck out of it.

8. BRoberts

BRoberts TDPRI Member

Hahah, I've read many of the other threads regarding this, and am definitely not trying to open another can of worms. I was just wondering if anyone had found a Tele or two that sounded "just right" at "x" number of pounds...

9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

The only difference in 2 alder guitars that have an 8oz difference in weight is one will have 8oz more weight on the shoulder strap.
    You will likely find just as much tonal difference in several guitars that all weigh the same @ 7lbs.

10. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Tele-Afflicted

weight is about comfort not tone

11. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

I have a just over 7 Lb (maybe 2-3 oz. over) classic 60's and it's very likely the best sounding fender I've owned in 40 years of mostly fenders, and if not it's certainly as good as any I've owned at worse. Also consider this....many people have and love thinlines, and it's not the hollow factor that makes them different, it's the fact they are generally lighter. Yet may people love em. Too light IMO can be bad, but you will never find a solid tele thats nearly that light.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  12. SteveGangi

SteveGangi Tele-Holic

I'm on the side that thinks it has way more to do with the pickups, the amp, and how you set all the controls. As far as sustain goes, how much sustain does a person REALLY need? Do you just hang on that one note all afternoon??

13. JD0x0

JD0x0 Poster Extraordinaire

I want more than a typical guitar puts out, clean. Compared to pianos, and bowed instruments, the sustain on most guitars is fairly short, until you start cranking up gain/compression/volume to put more energy back into the string, by getting feedback. It's a lot easier to cut a note out, on a long sustaining instrument, than it is to get a huge sustain from an instrument that doesn't sustain well, on it's own.

I dont disagree, but at the same time, that doesn't make a body's weight or density, negligible. Everything has an effect on everything.

In my experience, generally, heavier bodies, the notes ring out longer, but they dont seem quite as vibrant and lively, unplugged. Light bodies can often have a better resonance, they can sound brighter (unplugged) and you can often feel the guitar resonating more than a heavier one.

For the most part the differences are subtle, and they can be masked with gain/effect/EQ/etc., but they're still there.
    Just my $.02

14. BritTwang

BritTwang Tele-Holic

In my quest to buy my '64 I played dozens of the things, Ash, Alder, very light, pretty average weights (none that I would call heavy at 8lbs+). My own is alder and it weighs 7lbs 6oz. All I can tell you is that every single one of them played beautifully and all of them sounded amazing. I didn't get to A/B them to listen out for tiny nuances, but ultimately, whichever one you get, I think you'll be very pleased. I wouldn't worry too much about the smallest of details. These are very very good guitars.

15. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

Oh absolutely. Studies have found that for that specific model 7.47982356 lbs is ideal. What kind of scales do you own? ;)

16. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Actually when you multiply Euler's number (e) by Pi you get the scientifically proven ideal weight for a Tele-- 8.53973422246 lbs.

But it only works when you tune the tele to A=432 Hz tuning. :cool:

17. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Hallelujah!

If a guy is a "sustain freak" then he needs to buy a Les Paul.

Not a Telecaster. :D

18. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have 4 Teles (don't ask). All have a Duncan Antiquity in the bridge. All sustain slightly differently. The one that sustains the most effortlessly is also the lightest. I think it's under 6lbs! And Boris nailed it - it's Palwownia. In fact, it's so light it's just on the right side of being a headstock dropper. My "heaviest" (under 7.5 lbs) is right in the middle of the pack for sustain. It's swamp ash I think. Sounds great. Plays great. Each has their own thing going on.

I think even the composition of a particular piece of wood (not just they type of wood or weight) can have an impact, along with p/u's and amp. Weight is generally a poor indicator of sustain in my experience. YMMV.

19. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Yes. If I was building a bitsa, it would have a Warmoth chambered alder or swamp ash body. If I was going cheap it would be Paulownia.

20. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin

IME "weight" has to do with how heavy it is.

"Tone" refers to how it sounds.

Apples <=========> Oranges

You can't measure (or predict) one by the other. CS

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.