Weighed All My Teles/Esquires (And a Strat for Good Measure)

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
I take it that's you? Wish I had started playing that young. I can't play sitting down for very long. Even at home. I find it uncomfortable. So instead, I'll take a break every now and then. I kinda like the feels of heavier guitars. They tend to stay put more when playing and I've less cause to put any force on the neck.

FenderLover

Poster Extraordinaire
Over the last 40+ years I've never weighed a guitar either. Then I got curious mostly what the difference was. If I throw out the high and low numbers out of 15 electric bodies, the range is only a little over 1lb. It's not something I've ever really noticed.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I take it that's you? Wish I had started playing that young. I can't play sitting down for very long. Even at home. I find it uncomfortable. So instead, I'll take a break every now and then. I kinda like the feels of heavier guitars. They tend to stay put more when playing and I've less cause to put any force on the neck.

I don't remember exactly what year that was. I had been given a Peavey Tracer sometime before that, but it wasn't a very good guitar (nut wasn't cut right).

I didn't play a lot through a good part of my twenties. It wasn't until my late twenties, after my first wife and I separated and divorced, that I started playing and recording a lot at home, by myself. Then, a few years after my daughter was born, I had somewhat of a midlife crisis. I had been playing since I was a child, but I had never really been in a band. I had recently done a few gigs with my dad, and it sparked a renewed desire to play with other musicians and play for other people's enjoyment. So, I got on Craigslist and found a very active local band looking for a new guitarist. I jumped head first into it, and I was suddenly gigging multiple nights a week.

I'd probably be a lot better guitarist if I hadn't turned to alcohol after my divorce. Fifteen years of heavy drinking nearly destroyed my nervous system.

DanglingNutslots

Tele-Meister
Glad you recovered. I had other hobbies that consumed most of my free time and thought guitar was a skill you had to be born with. It’s only chance and impulse that got me playing guitar five years ago. Now, I have a hard time not playing. Even the heavy guitars :)

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Nice collection P77! My Tele and Strat come in about 9.5 lbs each. I built em both and wanted to know what the final weight was, after I built em. I like a heavier guitar so I'm ok with it, but it is interesting to see what all yours came in at. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
How much does the Berthacaster weigh?

28OSCARS-BESTWORST-SLAP-mediumSquareAt3X.jpg

:lol:

It was in my list, 7 lbs 9.5 oz.

JL_LI

Poster Extraordinaire
I never weighed a guitar but I remember in my road bike days that the shop had a scale customers could use to weigh their bikes. What a great sales took. Can I get this thing under 18 lbs . with a new crank? Maybe a new crank and a seat with no padding. Insane. Truly insane. People were replacing perfectly good with tires that weighed 20g less. Imagine if guitarists decided to go to .009 gauge strings to save 2 grams. How about titanium strap buttons?

I posted the short version of this above. People do really stupid things for bragging rights.

Phrygian77

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Thanks for sharing. Interesting how much lighter the swamp ash is than the thinline.

The Thinline is mahogany. The Esquire is only 1-1/2" thick also. It's a Guitar Mill body and it seems like they get some crazy light weight pieces of swamp ash. My Warmoth swamp ash Thinline was very light, but I sold that guitar to bandmate. I never weighed it.