1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weekly rehearsal for a well oiled gigging band? Really?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telenator, Aug 1, 2020.

1. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

I don't agree with JT on this either, and have you ever seen Lynyrd Skynyrd?
    Or a band that has been playing 6 nights a week for 6 years?

teletail likes this.
  2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

who plays six nights a week when you're not on tour? that's a sure way to burn out your drawing power.

3. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

Yes, I saw the original lineup in the 70s.

This is all I can really say about the issue: If I like a band's songs I want to hear them played in concert as recorded.

4. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

We never did...

5. cyclopean

once you start playing your hometown/nearest large town too often, people start thinking "oh, i can just see them later. maybe at a cheaper show or a venue i like more."

we try not to play anywhere near where we live more than once a month without a damn good reason. you want people to be excited to see you, not kinda sick of you.

6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

‘78-‘80 the band I was in gigged two or three times a week plus practice twice per week. We were a one set originals band, with a couple of obscure covers. We were tight, other band mates had charisma. Only two of us had prior band experience, hence practices needed.

7. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Things were different back then. Every club had a house band. We played 6 nights a week and practiced, in the club, every day...

8. cyclopean

were both of you from small towns without much going on?

9. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Thoroughly agree! On the other end of the spectrum, the Tower of Power charts are challenging, but not over the top. They put hours of rehearsal in each week, and nothing could be tighter. The point is, it depends on what the leader is going for, if that is clear, and if a person is in for that ride.

10. Arafel

Arafel Tele-Meister

Really? Why? I have a nice stereo system. If I wanted to hear note-for-note renditions I'd stay home and listen there where I don't have deal with the talking geese and the drunks falling into me and spilling their alcohol all over me. Better sound and if I want a beer it's in my fridge.

The first band I ever really liked was Led Zeppelin, who, for all intents and purposes, are a hard rock jam band. And I think most of their songs sound better live, especially Song Remains the Same, Rain Song, Black Dog, Celebration Day, No Quarter, and Going to California. Stairway and Kashmir are toss-ups, Achilles can be hit or miss live but is amazing when on, and most of the first two albums sound better live.

After Zeppelin, the next real band that hit me was the Grateful Dead. Improv city. I like that they take chances.

On the other side of the spectrum is Rush, a band I love. They were the first I ever saw live, in 1983 at Radio City Music Hall. But as much as I love them, I could never see me going to see them 3-4 times in a row on a tour. They play the same set at every show and play it the same way.

For compairson, in 1991 I saw all nine Grateful Dead shows at Madison Square Garden, and they didn't repeat a single set. If I still lived in NYC in 2017, I would have gone to Phish's Baker's Dozen, where in 13 shows they didn't repeat a single song.

That is the type of experience that draws a dedicated following, not a band playing the same set every night with the same "Hello Cleveland" and other canned lines at the exact same spots in the set.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  11. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

We’re always learning new stuff and we truly enjoy each other’s company.

I’m glad that we get together once per week to practice. The guys in the band are close friends. The original post here seemed odd to me; doesn’t sound like you’re having fun.

We play cover songs exactly as they were originally written. All of our charts are stored on a google docs site and we all use iPads.

cyclopean likes this.
  12. sonicsmitty

sonicsmitty Tele-Holic

You can sure miss a lot of good music that way.

cyclopean and Arafel like this.
  13. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

These guys work and they Work Hard.
    It's why they are as good as they are.
    They don't want a Poser.

Besides, once things get to where they think YOU are playing up to their expectations, the once a week thing might loosen up a bit.

Fortune favors the bold.

sonicsmitty likes this.
  14. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

perhaps camradeship,team spirit?

studio1087 likes this.
  15. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

How busy are they these days. Perhaps its a temp. situation?

Before the current situation we were gigging regularly and would only skip the weekly rehearsal if we had weekend gigs or were on holidays. We use rehearsals to add four or so new numbers a week or to work on arrangements, set lists, recording and other band stuff. It also keeps us tight as a unit. We do enjoy it as a social experience. Even more valuable now. The presence of each other makes new ideas emerge.

I am struggling to balance your strong view with making money playing in an enterprise with others though. Rehearsals and band strategising are all part on keeping it going, esp. given the innovation and adaptability needed in the current situation. Is is a big trip to rehearsals? Mine is only 30mins each way.

It just sounds like they are not a good fit for you.

i do dep and read too and don’t refuse requests to play anything with anyone if I can avoid it at all. It’s just too much of a source being out and playing with others or for an audience.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    beagle likes this.
  16. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Are you a musician? Do you play in bands?

17. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Just as a listener...

These cover bands that don't rehearse and try to just mimic the record/think adjusting to the tone of the original record is the important part just make me not even want to bother hearing the band. I would way way rather hear a band like El Marin's.

Might as well hear a DJ or just let the bar play the record if it's just another mimic the record band.

If this is a "job" why are you not practicing every day/living with the band? Is this just being in a band so you can tell people you're in a band as a mark of seriousness?

Sounds more like a hobby and you're not making any money or making a living off it anyway. What's the point of a band where you don't even make enough money a year to pay taxes? Sounds like probably a money loser.

If you go rehearse together constantly maybe you'll write some of your own music people are more interested in.

Now back to the other threads where bar cover band members complain they can't get paid enough.

All this non-rehearsing cover band that never writes their own music or gets creative nonsense is why the scene is dying.

Arafel and cyclopean like this.
  18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

The cover band "scene" and the all originals "scene" are two completely different things. A really good cover band with a following might be able to slip in a few good originals in a four hour night but most folks who come to hear a good cover band come to party and dance to songs that they know. OTOH an all originals band will typically be positively benefited by doing a few choice covers.

Telenator and MilwMark like this.
  19. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

This is fascinating.

Consider. What if the crappy cover bands you see practice all the time?

I think that’s actually more likely than lack of practice.

It is very apparent many have never played in bands/booked shows. Which is fine if course. Except why get so strident with the sanctimony?

If a cover band wants to rehearse all the time, super! If everybody’s into it, enjoys the process and hanging out, wonderful.

But it is simply untrue that a band can’t be GREAT live absent weekly rehearsals.

Also, anyone I know who supports themselves in local music plays in several bands. And subs in others. And works in a music store. And teaches lessons. And, and, and.

It’s not a lack of engagement, ownership or commitment not to want to practice material everyone knows weekly, and then play that same list 1-3x each weekend.

I can’t tell if a lot of people wish they had a band, idealize it and therefore resent any suggestion that band activity could be too much?

OP already resolved the “conflict”. But if he didn’t want to rehearse weekly and they do, it’s simply not a fit. Nothing personal and neither side wrong.

2HBStrat, Telenator and Junkyard Dog like this.
  20. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

The original songs the cover band covers were all written & played by bands that had passion.

In this day and age it's super easy at a super low cost & easy to listen to an unlimited # of those tracks played by the original bands that had tons of passion and creativity.

A live band needs to do something more than just parrot the original albums.

If the band just keeps playing the same cover setlist over and over and over to the point rehearsal is pointless clearly there's not that much engagement there and the band isn't going to grow or get better and is just treading water.

Carry on but this is part of why the sister threads to this one are all "they won't pay us anything!".

Also why so many people are so happy to listen to acoustic covers.. they aren't on the record!

Colo Springs E, cyclopean and Arafel like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.