Weekly rehearsal for a well oiled gigging band? Really?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telenator, Aug 1, 2020.

1. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I don't know--practice isn't about learning the songs for us. That's what we do on our own. Practice is about rehearsing our set together, stretching out a little, and trying new things. Now, when have a gig every weekend, we don't really have time for that. But I like band practice. It's fun. Not as fun as a gig, but I'd rather be playing with my band, even if it is just practice, than sitting at home watching TV.

Gaz_, studio1087, Marc Morfei and 2 others like this.
  2. stax

stax Tele-Afflicted

My bass player occasionally pops round for a cup of tea to go over something she's not sure about or try out some harmonies which she'll record on a little zoom.
    Apart from that there are certain venues we can turn up a bit early to run through new stuff but in ten years we have never had more than a few proper rehearsals.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. gmann

gmann Friend of Leo's

Don't worry so much, there's probably someone else better suited for that gig.

Chicago Matt and teletail like this.
  4. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

It depends how often you are gigging, how many songs are in the tank, how often you rotate them and how often you add new ones.

5. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If you feel you have nothing to learn or rehearsal is more hassle than fun, it’s time to quit. Last Wednesday our drummer was away, soooooooo

91F8C6A1-3BE7-4CB1-BA6B-B4238520A785.jpeg
    Crab feast.
    This is me and 5 of my best friends and band mates. If you ain’t having fun, you’re doing it wrong.

Attached Files:

studio1087, Jlwctn, P-Nutz and 4 others like this.
  6. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

You would be fired from my bands in a wink.

First, you are missing the FUN. The fun of play together, the fun of Rocking with a band, make it kick ass instead sounding "just like the record".

You must be MUCH BETTER than the record!!!!

How do WE achieve this? Playing and playing the hole set list two or three times. Play it from the first to the last, from the last to the first, play it sober, drunk, stoned, lit up, fast, slow rockabilly style, reggae style, metal style until the band is ONE and just have to look each other to know what is going to happen

This you don't get it by just learning the songs at home and getting together at the sound check of a gig

Well is just my humble opinion and the way I do it

AAT65, kafka, Buzzgrowl and 11 others like this.
  7. El Marin

El Marin Friend of Leo's

Completely agree

Ebidis, P-Nutz and teletail like this.
  8. teletail

teletail Friend of Leo's

I never understood “musicians” that don’t like to practice. I play with other people as much as possible, or did before our current situation.

studio1087, Ebidis, P-Nutz and 5 others like this.
  9. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Afflicted

More than likely it’s the leader that needs the rehearsal , or he’s a control freak....

10. Chipss36

Chipss36 Tele-Holic

No matter how good you are...
    Man that cowbell player needs encouragement, tempo help, and a few bucks for a samich, or a 20?

come on man have a heart...
    Muhahaha

11. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

This kinda sums it up. Thanks for all the insightful responses. Some are dead-on the money.

The point of this is not to complain, but to see what are other gigging players are up to these days. I don't mind being wrong and changing my approach if that's what a situation calls for.

I love to play music!
    The drive to rehearsal is over an hour away.
    I have agreed to rehearse twice per month and truly do enjoy reasonable rehearsals. This is a cover band that wants to play the songs just like the recordings. I like that. But I also find that the more time spent playing in a rehearsal setting, the further the songs drift away from the sound of the original recording. While some people cringe at the thought of staying true to the recording, I enjoy it, and this band does too. It has it's own challenges and required skills. That said, I don't cop EXACT solos unless they are necessary for certain songs. I can't imagine playing "Alright Now" without copping that solo as recorded. But so many other songs don't require that.

Someone here posted 5 song clips on the first page of his group. Good sounds. To make my point, the tones of all the instruments and overall delivery was very homogenized. Good vibes but the tonality of the 5 songs were all the same. This is what has happened to many of the cover bands I've played with in the past. The group starts making 1 sound, and even if it's a great sound, it's less interesting than a group that changes things up by constantly deferring to the tonalities of the original recordings.

You guys brought up a lot of good points here as they apply to specific band situations, and I agree with most of them.
    In this particular case, we have a cover band more than an hour drive away that wants to rehearse the same covers, with an add on or two, every week.
    Cover bands are a lot of fun. I enjoy playing covers for people who will get up and dance and even comment that they enjoyed the way a song was delivered. No disillusion of grandeur here.

I am used to playing with responsible guys who learn the parts, show up at rehearsal prepared, and then have minimal rehearsals to bring in new material and enjoy a grilled steak or something. That's all good.

The last cover band I played with all met, played together, decided that we wanted to be a band and in 6 weeks had our set list down and played our first gig. Then recorded our demo.
    The only over dubs on the demo were the guitar fills and the vocal. Everything else was done first take, all together. I love that this is what happens when people show up prepared and ready to play.

The demo was 8 abbreviated songs so a club owner could hear our diversity quickly and get on to the next thing.
    The band lasted 10 years and went out on a high note, and we all remain good friends.

Here's clip from our demo. Ignore the cheesy video. I was learning editing software and didn't have a lot to work with.

.....and thanks for all the great replies!

Marc Morfei and 2HBStrat like this.
  12. Flat6Driver

Flat6Driver Friend of Leo's

Nice recording. Top notch.

Telenator likes this.
  13. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Well, this totally changes things for me. I wouldn't agree to rehearse an hour away either, unless the gig was for big bucks.

I did that for about about 6 months with a band that was an hour away, once a week, but not again.

Marc Morfei and urbandefault like this.
  14. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

Rehearsal is where you bond with your bandmates, and become tight as a unit. In any new band, I expect to rehearse at least once a week until the set list is solid and the show is tight. Before the first gig, I expect to run the entire show front to back, breaks and all. With a band that has been gigging for a while, regular rehearsals aren't always necessary but helpful to keep things from "drifting."

P-Nutz and Telenator like this.
  15. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

For the record I agree that a well-established gigging cover band with (it sounds like?) a set list that is never changing, should not need to rehearse weekly.

I disagree on playing covers exactly as they were recorded though. Boring. (to me)

(EDIT: Listened to your demo-- I dislike that song a lot, but that is a VERY impressive job!)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  16. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Holic

I drove about 40-45 minutes for rehearsals for several years, but I was younger then. In the past couple of years I've turned down a few offers that would require that kind of drive. I guess I just don't want to do it badly enough any more. ;)

17. schnadz

schnadz Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'd say it depends on the material and the motives. Miles recorded "Kind of Blue" without rehearsals on mostly first takes. Tower of Power puts in hours of rehearsal per week. They are both killer music, and fruit of the approach.

In any case, if it were a bar band playing covers of common tunes with little variation, a ton of rehearsal would be annoying to me unless the parts were tough. If the approach doesn't suit you you should move on.

MilwMark, Chicago Matt and Telenator like this.
  18. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

I watched a special on James Taylor. This is what he said about doing covers. " If I can't change it enough to make it interesting to me I see no reason to do it." Professional national acts don't even play their songs as recorded. Music is a moment in time and can't be truly recalled.

19. FenderGuy53

FenderGuy53 Poster Extraordinaire

A few observations:
    • While mimicry is the sincerest form of flattery, with live music, not so much, IMHO. Music is interpretive, like all other art forms. Make it your own.
    • A rehearsal is "organized" practice. It's used to gain a sense of others talents and abilities, in such a way that each "voice" is complementary to its counterparts.
    • Regarding the frequency of "full band" practice sessions, professional musicians know what they need, and when they need it. Ask them.
    • Finally, if you're not having fun, then you're doing it wrong.

20. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m not sure I understand the original post. He wants the songs to be well-rehearsed, but doesn’t want there to be rehearsals?

If you’re gigging all the time, then no, you don’t need to rehearse just to play the same songs you gigged with. Unless it is to tighten down the arrangement or fix some part that didn’t click. With my low-level cover band, we rehearse mostly to learn new material.

ce24 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.