Weekly rehearsal for a well oiled gigging band? Really?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Telenator, Aug 1, 2020.

1. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Once a week is nothing, if you actually view it as a job, and actually make a fair wage doing it. I'd consider that routine work for any band. You could very well be "good enough" playing once a month, but there isn't a musical group in the world that would actually play better at gigs practicing once a month than they would practicing once a week. If I was truly a professional musician, I'd have my instrument in my hand at least 6 hours a day, maybe more, without complaint. I'd consider myself blessed to have that for a job. If you've been doing it for 10 years without personnel changes? Maybe you can ease off a bit, so the members can focus on their other jobs. But I view true musical professionalism of attitude and work ethic as spending 30 to 40 hours a week minimum with your instrument in your hand, some of which should be with your band, if you're in one permanently.

rangercaster, Arafel and brbadg like this.
  2. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I sort of understand what set the OP off. Though I’d just view it as a bad fit and move on.

Have you ever played in a cover band with a set setlist? If you are playing regular shows there is no reason on this earth weekly rehearsals are required. They would actually be counter/productive.

If you’re a hobby band and developing the list? Sure!

Mind you, in my original band we jam almost every week, but we’re always writing and/or getting ready to record new stuff so that’s a bit different.

studio1087 and Telenator like this.
  3. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

I have played in the same amateur cover band since 2008. We do a handful of originals too. We pull from 60 or 80 songs, and usually about half the list during any given year or two is "set."

Nothing "required" about weekly practices, and no we don't always play weekly...but weekly practices damned sure aren't counterproductive in any way. That's ludicrous, unless your people have such a poor work ethic that practicing their work actually makes them perform worse at their job.

You can decide that you aren't making enough money to bother investing the time in playing weekly, and it makes complete sense. But to say that it can make you worse is just plain false. I have never played in, nor can I even fathom, a group in which playing less makes you better. Maybe an improvisational and/or noise group, whose whole concept is based on just doing a gig and seeing what happens.

FWIW, during the period that I have been in the cover band, I've also been in two full time paid touring bands for a few months each. In those cases, I learned 30–40 songs, practiced two or three times before departing. Then it was almost daily gigs for a month to six weeks. You can't really practice in that scenario – on the road. Sometimes we'd be able to work out a problematic thing or two if we could set up early in a venue, or unplugged in a hotel room, but otherwise, it was just gigging. And I've also been in a couple of the aforementioned improvisational bands, in which practice is really just about learning how your rig works, and learning how the others tend to play...not what they are going to play.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    Chicago Matt and teletail like this.
  4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My experience is different. Everything I type comes across more snotty than intended.

I’ve never played with competent musicians who get anything out of regular rehearsals of the same songs that we’ve heard on the radio a million times and played together a thousand times.

It’s not a work ethic thing. You lose any pretense of spontaneity and wonder in my experience.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

I would practice with my band every week if it were logistically possible.

There's no down side to working hard together to improve teamwork, reflex, and instinctive, automatic vocal harmonies.

;)

studio1087, sonicsmitty and mfguitar like this.
  6. Jazzerclean

Jazzerclean Tele-Meister

Hmmm lets see, 3, 4 or worse, 5 musos, band leaders, opinions, mental health states and incompatible personalities/ backgrounds.
    Good luck with that, which after putting up with it for decades, why I now only take solo or duo gigs. Greatly reduces the mandatory requirement for a Psychology degree with little or no drama/ politics.

Chicago Matt and Telenator like this.
  7. drmordo

drmordo Tele-Meister

I've been in bands that rehearsed, I've been in bands that never ever rehearsed. It just depends on what music you collectively want to make.

Memorably, I was in a band that rehearsed every night for two weeks then cut an entire album live in the studio in a single day. Almost every keeper track was a first take.

The thing that would push me away is if they want the song to sound exactly like the record. I'm just not interested in that. I need some leeway to have fun or I'm out.

stinkey, Chicago Matt and Telenator like this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Friend of Leo's

Being in a band is no differend from working for a company: different companies have different business practices.

If you like the job description and you feel you're a good fit, you sign up. If it's not your thing, you keep looking.

9. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Then why are you a musician?

10. StevesBoogie

StevesBoogie Tele-Meister

Addendum: Musicians don't complain about playing. Sorry bro.

11. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

Hmmm. There are gigs where you live? Bars are open and booking gigs and paying you for this? There are band rehearsals happening? You got invited to join one of said bands? And before you even rehearse with them, you come on the internet to complain about it to US, most of whom haven't played with people in months?

Ok, man.

kafka, Chicago Matt, tubegeek and 4 others like this.
  12. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

If you are happy (as well as the rest of the band) then it’s no big deal
    If they want to practice/rehearse and you don’t then move on.
    There is no right or wrong for every situation. I really have nothing else to offer

sonicsmitty likes this.
  13. P-Nutz

P-Nutz Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

... the tambourine player never needs to practice ... they just come up on stage ...

14. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

If I did not have to rehearse with a new band, I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t like the music they have chosen to do. But, every band situation is different. Family, Jobs, genre/material, level of musicianship, size of band, types of gigs, on and on... There are musicians in our area I love to go see that are in 4 bands so they can stay busy enough to gig full time. I know what songs they are going to play in any band they are gigging with because they ALL DO THE SAME STUFF! Although these guys are good, they are getting boring and it is kinda dragging the music scene down from lack of freshness. We had started seeking out younger fusion bands in our area to see like Funky Knuckles, Kwinton Gray, Mark Lettieri etc, because they good and keep it fresh and entertaining.

15. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Holic

I liked weekly rehearsals. The key is to make them efficient and productive.

Start & end on time. Have a few specific goals and stick to working on them.

The "magic" of the original artist is in the details. That's what rehearsals are for.

And do you never learn new songs?

16. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Tele-Meister

I like rehearsal too. Gives you a chance to give and get feedback before the performance.

2HBStrat likes this.
  17. goonie

goonie Friend of Leo's

Agreed that weekly rehearsal is excessive if you're playing note for note covers.
    I'm guessing the rehearsal is for the benefit of the lazy band member(s) who don't learn the parts.

MilwMark, Chicago Matt and Telenator like this.
  18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I love musicians who think rehearsals are unnecessary and somehow unprofessional and everyone should just learn the record and show up to the gig...

If you’re just in it for the check, we’ll, whatever.

My band mates and I enjoy practicing and spending time together playing music. It’s fun and isn’t that kind of the point, anyway?

The music and the fun are why we play. The checks are a bonus.

If it’s just a job to you, please don’t even bother auditioning for our band. Your bad attitude will poison our well.

19. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

I’m with you, Telenator! Assuming these are bar/civic/private/etc gigs (i.e. not a residency at Caesar’s in Vegas), then mandatory weekly rehearsals are ridiculous. Around here (like many metro areas) I could easily spend as much time driving to/from rehearsal as the actual rehearsal itself. Unless I’m getting paid to rehearse, no thanks. Luckily the musicians I work with nowadays all get it.

20. gregulator450

gregulator450 Tele-Afflicted

It would take at least two hands to count the times I have seen cover and tribute bands who needed the rehearsal because someone in the band thought he was playing to the record but really wasn't. Said player(s) needed to hear it from the other members and a couple times had to be shown the right way to play the parts they had down.

Keep in mind, these were young bands. We were excitable and a bit crazy at times, we had some experience but not the level that more experienced/older bands have.

There's also the aspect of making sure everyone's sounds work with the others in the band. There's gotta be one rehearsal somewhere... and why not take every opportunity to get tight as a unit? Just my thoughts.

RhythmFender, Ebidis and Telenator like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.