Week-plus with the Mickey Baker book

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by buster poser, May 6, 2021.

1. buster poser

buster poser Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Appreciate that rec too. The Baker book's sent me to "Great American Songbook" type playlists on Spotify for sure. There's a ton there to absorb and I don't love all of it, but the 20s/30s stuff really clicks for me. Btw, Whit does a short version of Ain't Misbehavin' I posted in the music subforum that's pretty incredible.

dougstrum likes this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

That was great, super fun stuff, swinging with a vengeance~
    Ain't Misbehaving was the first chord melody I worked out, still sing it as a duet with the singer I play for.

Once you work out a few tunes it gets to be pretty natural coming up with chord melodies. Have fun opening up your perception of harmony~

In post quoted I meant to say "not into fusion" :rolleyes:

buster poser likes this.
  3. ucnick

ucnick Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

FWIW a famous guitarist not ordinarily known as a jazzer who also cited the books was Randy Bachman, I read somewhere many years ago that he said that the chord progressions he used in "Looking Out For #1" were straight out of a MB book.

buster poser likes this.
  4. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Reading music for guitar is a bit more difficult due to the multiple ways to play the same notes. The Leavitt book 1 is good for this.

Also, FWIW, I took up classical guitar (long ago now) to force myself to read for guitar. The Aaron Shearer books are really a good start for this. The reading builds up so incrementally that it is never too much of a stretch.

buster poser likes this.
  5. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

i used to read pretty well through high school, when i played classical guitar and bass in orchestra. but since then i've never really had much use for reading standard notation personally (charts, of course). i think automatically recognizing intervallic relationships is probably more important than anything as a guitar player. though myself personally i do wish i had a better sense of reading rhythms. deciphering note values has not really been of too much use to me considering my ears can do that just fine.

scook, dougstrum and buster poser like this.
  6. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I just ordered a copy.

Wish me luck. ;)

dougstrum and buster poser like this.
  7. Leon Grizzard

Leon Grizzard Friend of Leo's

I have my first copy - $1.95

From where I was at the time I got the book, I learned a fair amount of theory in terms of chord substitutions. Also chord scales and hanging the line on chord tones; stuff I kinda had figured out, but it was good to hear it expressed.

The reading part is, in a way, ideal. Almost everything is in G with some Bb, so you get proficient in reading those keys and he gives you what string to play on and what finger to use so you can figure out the position, and you can't cheat (like I do) and look at the tab; you have read. And it mostly steady 8th notes, so the rhythm ready part is easy. If you can read at least badly, you can do it.

P Bill, buster poser and El Tele Lobo like this.
  8. frank a

frank a Tele-Meister

I have worked through the book but sometimes I didn’t have any idea what the lesson was trying to teach me. I could do the lesson but I didn’t know why.

9. gtroates

gtroates Tele-Holic

Mickey Baker’s volume one is great, full stop. A great supplement to his book which concentrates on Western Swing specifically is “Mel Bay Presents Western Swing Guitar Style” by Joe Carr, it has some great chord substitution rules that explain the thought process used in Western swing backup guitar chord parts. There are Eldon transcriptions and he takes charts through different levels of substitution from basic to complex.

buster poser, SRHmusic, scook and 3 others like this.
  10. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Pretty much all of us in the 60s-70s started out on Mickey Baker.
    He shows the way, and well, and if you have a brain, and desire, you can take it from there.

Hail Mickey!

11. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

+1000

I briefly mention it my video but I'll reiterate ...
    There was NOTHING like this book when it came out and then not until maybe the mid 70s was anything published that presented this type of material for guitarists. It was a revelation.

buster poser and Teleguy61 like this.
  12. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Tele-Afflicted

Mickey was useful to me at 19 when I signed up for the jazz band at Bakersfield College.
    I had been 0paying about 3 years and I knew what Shinola was, but the rest of the charts were a mystery.

buster poser likes this.
  13. Bellacaster

Bellacaster Tele-Afflicted

I have been a big fan of Baker's after reading about him in interviews with Bob Quine (Richard Hell & the Voidoids, Lou Reed, Matthew Sweet guitarist) who is one of my favorite guitarists. I ordered the book after reading this post. I'm still in the process of learning the chords on the 2nd page, but it's been a lot of fun getting out of the blues based rock that I normally play. I really wish I had this book when I was a teenager and had little responsibility and when learning in general was easier. Anyway, thanks for bringing this book up.

buster poser likes this.
  14. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I picked up a copy last week.

I'm a few pages in and already confused. :)

15. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

The book is historic, but it needs to be rewritten for today. A little theory and modern notions about teaching jazz would go a long way.

16. lmjmitchell

lmjmitchell Tele-Meister

I started working on learning the chords on page 2.

When I started playing the exercises on page 3, I noticed that it included chords not mentioned on page 1.

Given there are a dozen ways to finger the omitted chords, I'm was at a loss and stopped right there. :confused:

buster poser likes this.
  17. oldunc

oldunc Tele-Holic

Blows me away that those books are still in use. So how many of you remember Mickey and Sylvia?

Teleguy61, klasaine and buster poser like this.
  18. buster poser

Thank you so much for this. Exactly the kind of info I'm after.
    In the interest of getting you unstuck... are you talking about lesson 3? There's a note that says you're only using chords 1-6 on the exercise, but that you'll need to transpose them. It takes a little figuring out, hopefully the vid below helps?

It's worth sticking through. I'm trying to solidify lesson 11 right now, and have started dabbling in #13.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
  19. buster poser

His style is hysterically anachronistic... my wife asked last night "how's the chord work for your drill sergeant going?"

20. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

One of my favorite aspects about his book(s) is that if you listen to MB carefully, you can hear him employ all of that stuff in his playing - regardless of whatever style he's working in.

buster poser likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.