Weber vs. Hoffman ReVibe?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by alathIN, Aug 18, 2019.

1. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Would like to hear folks' experiences with both.

Tempted to go Weber, because the kit is all put together and Weber's is about 20 minutes North of my house.

Hoffman would have more hunting and scratching, and possibly wind up using a Weber chassis anyway - but maybe higher quality parts? From what I hear Weber has upgraded their formerly-criticized parts act lately...

tubeswell and Paul-T like this.
  2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

I would think just the shipping cost would be worth it to Weber. I personally have never used a kit for anything, but I've only heard good things about both.

3. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Have you seen this thread?. A great Weber build. Also check out
    Sluckey's build, which I think is based on Hoffman.

Good luck, I want to see one of these. I'm working on the kindergarten version, vis Surfy.

4. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

Yes.
    Sluckey and Moosie are my heroes. I want to be them when I grow up ;-)

5. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

I have an early version Weber Revibe that I built years ago, but its sitting on the shelf due to hum issues -- its on my to-do list to rebuild/rewire according to Jeff Gehrings layout, use metal film resistors, Cliff jacks, among other things. However, I neglected to save/bookmarkJeff's excellent descriptions of his mods, so hopefully all that is still accessible somewhere. It would be great to get a thread going here on builds and mods!!

Paul-T likes this.
  6. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I had to go back and find some of his pages during the tail end of my build. I may still have some of his stuff that was downloadable on a USB stick. I'll try to remember to look through them at work tomorrow. Pretty sure he spelled his name Geoff so that may help I'm your search of internet archives

7. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

No, Jeff is correct. He now posts under "nicht_warhr" on the Weber site. I chatted with him in June.

8. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

This one?
    http://web.archive.org/web/20140410144814/http://home.everestkc.net/jgehring/revibe1-4.html

Moosie used a ground lift similar to Gehrings' - the circuit itself isn't very complicated, just a couple of diodes and a resistor (or capacitor as others have done it). The fussy part is that you have to isolate ALL the grounds in the unit, including insulating the pots and jacks from the chassis using shoulder washers. Then you connect all those grounds onto a single bus, still isolated from the chassis - so that the only path to ground for anything in the whole unit is through the ground lift circuit.
    Merlin has this at 15.10 in this document: http://www.valvewizard.co.uk/Grounding.pdf
    It's a little different than Jeff's and Moosie's but I think it's all the same basic idea.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    drf64 likes this.
  9. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Either way, be careful with ground layout.

Here's a proven ground system that I use for 6G15s. If you take this same 'galactic ground' logic and apply it to the revibe, you will have minimal ground loop hum.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 19, 2019
    alathIN likes this.
  10. alathIN

alathIN Tele-Holic

I had something like that in mind.
    What kind of capacitor are you putting in that ground lift circuit?

11. tubeswell

tubeswell Friend of Leo's

Just a film cap

alathIN likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.