Weber voice coil issue

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Intubator, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Bawlmer, MD- Home of the "Mayor Shuffle"...
    So I bought this 30W 8 ohm 10 125A on reverb with a couple of other speakers as part of the deal and I have discovered it has what i believe is a v/c short. I am getting the correct 8ohms with a meter though. It sounds fine at low to moderate volume but when it pushed a bit, the lower end notes around G make scratching/static like sounds. I also noticed that there is a slight clicking sound when the cone is slightly depressed. Could it be off center? The speaker otherwise looks new and the seller claimed it was unused and brand new when he bought it... Anyway, I'm just wondering if is it possible to release the cone from the frame without damaging it? I've reconed a few in the past but they were torn or had dead coils..

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

It may have dust in the voicecoil gap. Buildup of moisture and residue.Sometimes if you put newspaper on concrete and drop the speaker onto the bell end from a few inches onto it, it may clear. Not good to do that from too high a height, magnets don't like it.

Also try inverting the speaker 180 deg. Voicecoil may hang just so in the spider it gets clearance.

Failing that cone may need to be recentred with a tone generator. It may be possible to loosen the surround and reglue - I'd talk to Weber.

The vendor may be honest and it's been like that since new. He might come partway to a refund.

zook and Intubator like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Magnets come unglued and move also. BTW Weber rebuilds their own speakers for $25! You can even change the spec if you want. Now days shipping adds up though.

Intubator likes this.
  4. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Thanks for the suggestions guys! I just noticed that Weber sells parts for their speakers too, if it comes down to me rebuilding it.. I'll give the rotation and drop techniques a try. I believe the seller, just strange that a three year old (unused, new) speaker would do this. The other two are new as well and fine. Would removing the dust cap give me a visual access to see if its off center?

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A thought...

Don't depress the cone, at all. If the voice coil is misaligned you may make it worse. Here's the flyer that comes with almost every Weber speaker.

Weber warning.jpg

Intubator likes this.
  6. Intubator

Intubator Tele-Meister

Yeah, I saw that earlier today.. LOL..

7. boredguy6060

boredguy6060 Friend of Leo's

I’d contact Weber and tell them just what you’ve told us, I think they would be happy to advise you on what to do.
    However, if you can get it rebuilt for 25$ , I’d do that.

Intubator likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.