1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weber Speakers: technical info?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by maxvintage, Dec 15, 2016.

1. mRtINY

mRtINY Friend of Leo's

Or, it has a high Qts, High Fs, and small x-max. That would make it have less bottom, but may still have good efficiency at higher frequencies... An impedance/response plot would clear it up....

-tINY

2. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Afflicted

I have an old (60's) Airline (5 watt) amp that had an Oxford out of a 60's Twin. It sounded great, and clean! I e-mailed Ted, and told him I wanted a speaker that would sound like my Blues Driver was pushing it. He recommended a 12A125A, well broken in by them. Now I just dime the amp, and if I want OD, I raise the guitar volume.
    Tell them what you want, and they will recommend what you need

3. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

When Ted was alive the Webber site had a plots and parameters section with frequency & impedance plots plus ts parameters for many of their models. This information is useless to the majority of their customers but it was there. I have some of it saved if you're really that set on seeing it. It might still be sitting somewhere on their server too, but it won't list any of the newer models

bparnell57 likes this.
  4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Weber's 10A125 10" Alnico and 10" Signature will work for you. Both are low sensitivity.

5. elpico

elpico Tele-Afflicted

He was still using the original names back then too, so for that 10A125 the plot is here:

P10Q Plot and Parameters.png

markophonic and bparnell57 like this.
  6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

1. The "industry standard" *isn't* one....

2. ....because not all speaker manufacturers use this method. Part of the reason - if you actually talk to the manufacturers - is that it's not directly applicable to guitar frequencies (especially a complex mix of them) and may be misleading. So they do their own testing using real "player" equipment (in a controlled environment) and some publish it...but some don't. Ones that don't, like Weber, will often give you *their* test results if you simply ask, and those results...if compared to other speaker manufacturers' internal testing at guitar frequencies - is, to many, more useful than the so-called technical standard.

There are no legal requirements to use that "standard" - There is simply voluntary compliance. But just like power handling, which is published using any of several methods (search "JBL power handling" in this forum - there have been several threads mentioning their odd way of inflating true power handling), the standard you quote doesn't have to be used - and there are reasons manufacturers don't use it. So instead of a standard, it's a "guideline". It may be considered by some engineering folks as "technically correct", but engineering people aren't doing marketing - and marketing information with some tech data is what sells speakers.

Unless there's truly a "standard" mandated by international law (applicable here because guitar speakers are manufactured in several countries) efficiency data needs to be looked at carefully and not taken as "etched in stone" at every frequency.

bparnell57 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.