Weber Sig 12 vs 12s

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by tgftele, Jun 4, 2011.

1. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Own a Blues Junior, modded, with a C Rex speaker. While it is a nice speaker, I seem to have lost a ton of break up and drive...guts really. It's loud but too clean for me.

Anyone try a Weber Signature 12 or 12s (alnico or ceramic)--any thoughts on which one does the gutsy, "tweed-like" breakup better? Or any other speaker suggestions in that light for the Blues Jr?

Thanks for any help!

2. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Go with the alnico if your looking for tweed like tone. Ceramic sounds kind of harsh to me. Alnico seems to be smoother. Ceramic sounds like something you would use for metal type music. All my amps, except my blues junior, have alnico speakers in them, but then again, I'm kind of partial to that fat chicago Buddy Guy and Eric Clapton blues type stuff. I have a sig 12 alnico in my silvertone and it sounds fantastic. Very good speaker, a little darker sounding than the reissue Jensens.

3. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Excellent, thanks for the info--I am like you with the tone I like. Are you able to get that tone from your Blues Jr? It seems like it's in there if I have the right speaker. Thanks again!

4. JohnS

JohnS Friend of Leo's

I found my Sig 12 very musical in my DRRI. I go for clean and articulate but not sterile.

5. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I love the 10" Sig alnico S. The 12" version not so much. Spend a little more and get the Vintage version with the seamed, ribbed cone. Perfect tweed Fender tone.

6. BiggerJohn

BiggerJohn Friend of Leo's

If you want early breakup, get the flat smooth cone.

7. tjalla

tjalla Friend of Leo's

Another vote for smooth cone - my 12A125-O is much fun to play for vintage tweed tones.

8. morroben

morroben Friend of Leo's

One man's harsh is another man's punchy, and one man's smooth is another man's muddy. It's all just personal taste...and a lot of it has to do with the amp it's going into. I like the ceramic Sig I have in my 5E3. The amp leans toward the loose and spongy (as a 5E3 should) on it's own. The ceramic helps keep that in check, at least for me. I also seem to get a tiny bit more clean headroom, but that probably has as much to do with wattage as magnet. YMMV

9. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

I think they are 25 watts rated, Hence, would be ideal speaker for a 1x12 combo tube amp that puts out 15 watts. The sig 12s is rated at 50 watts and would do well for a combo amp with high power.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
  10. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

Think I'll go with the Sig 12, just have to decide on ceramic or alnico--I have liked both in different amps in the past...ha ha

11. wrathfuldeity

wrathfuldeity Tele-Afflicted

uh...do both alnico and ceramic in a 2x12 and get a set of 10's for a 2x10 and just build or get a set of cabs. I like the 12's for open clean sounding and the 10's are tighter punchier for the lows

12. alnicopu

alnicopu Friend of Leo's

Good comment morroben, its all about taste and trying to describe what another can't hear as your describing. The goodsell amps have ceramic warehouse speakers in them and they are about as bluesy sounding as one could ask for. With the blues junior, most I have spoken to have said the stock speaker is not a bad match. Its all about circuity. gotta friend the was playing his tele through an AC30 and you couldn't stand in front of it without getting hit with ice picks. He now plays a goodsell with the same ax and it is soooo much more better, pure cream. To me that is.

13. spankdplank

spankdplank Tele-Afflicted

I have a sig 12 ceramic. A really good speaker and great value. Not harsh at all after break in. I had it in a 5E3 for years and it cured the low end flubby-ness and gave the amp more sparkle and headroom than the Fender labeled eminence P12R clone that used to be in there.

14. Laroosco!

Laroosco! Tele-Meister

Sounds like your friend needs to learn how to dial in an AC30. I know plenty of player using an AC30/Tele setup with no "icepicks"

15. big-daddy-59

big-daddy-59 Tele-Holic

I'm using a 10" sig 10s ceramic in a modified 5f2a circuit using a 6L6 output tube and a honkin' big output tranny. I wish i would have gone with either the alnico magnet or the smooth cone as the result is a bit too bright. I keep the tone control between 7 and 9 O'clock (aka between 0 and about 3 on a numbered dial). Anything more is just too much treble.

16. Lostinthe50s

Lostinthe50s Tele-Afflicted

Yup, tastes certainly vary. Same style of music for me, and I would agree with this statement 100% if you switched around alnico/ceramic!

My 5E3 has a C-rex in it... absolutely HATED the Celestion Blue everyone told me I HAD to have in it...

Only thing you can do is start buying speakers and let YOUR ears sort it out.

17. tgftele

tgftele TDPRI Member

I am now playing a Lil Dawg 5E3 which I love--I added a baffle adapter for a 10 that fits my recording room much better.

I have a Weber Sig 10s now, and I agree, for me the Sig 10 (no s) is the way to go. Having tired both, I like the ceramic and the alnico for different reasons, but the "s" models are too bright/clean/piercing for me as well--not as smooth. The s models don't pierce like other Jensen models, but they can get pretty shrill if you want to use that beautiful tone knob on the 5E3.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.