Weber Sig 10's - Good Lawd!

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 11 Gauge, Oct 20, 2008.

1. 11 Gauge

11 Gauge Doctor of Teleocity

I got a pair of smooth cone Sig 10 Ceramics last week, and just can't believe how good these things sound for 30 bucks a pop.

Unless I need a higher power setup, I don't think I'll need to get another Eminence or other brand of speaker with a C10Q flavor - those Sig's are seriously that good, IMO.

Man - I'd almost like to take out a small loan and buy a boatload of those Sig's before the prices creep up. The P10R equivalents are also a steal @ 45 bucks a piece!

How did I miss these things all this time?

2. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

I got a pair of the Sig 10S's for about $30 each and they have to be the best bang for the buck out there. Just sound awesome.

3. Bob Arbogast

Bob Arbogast Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Besides the Eminence Legend 15 in my upcoming 5E5-A Pro, the Sig10AS is the only speaker I use these days. I have a trio in my 5E7, a single one in my 5F11, and will have a pair in my 5F4/11 Suprolux (a 5F11 Vibrolux chassis, with enhanced power supply, mounted in a 5F4 Super cabinet). They are killer speakers!

Bob Arbogast

4. strat-o-teleman

strat-o-teleman Tele-Meister

I'm wondering how these would be in my '63 reissue Vibroverb? What amp are you using them in, and what tones are you getting?(ie. early breakup vs. high end?). I've been thinking about the Eminence Ragin Cajun's(75w), but maybe this is the way to go.

5. Rocks

Rocks Tele-Afflicted

I've been considering getting a pair of 10's for my crate V18 112 and making a new front for the amp to hold a pair. I was looking at the webers but was thinking of mixing one ceramic and one AlNiCo in the cab.

6. Guitar_Ninja

Guitar_Ninja Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I put an Alnico Sig 8S in my Vox DA5 and I'm really liking it. Very smooth.

7. 11 Gauge

I put a pair of them in a SF Vibrolux Reverb. Nice high end, and they actually break up a little later than I expected them to, but they do start breaking up around 5 on the dial. The 25 watt rating is perfect in the VR - IDK if I'd use them for higher power amps, unless I was running four of them.

The ceramic Sig 10's seem like the perfect marriage between Emi RC's and Copperheads, to my ears - kinda have the best qualities of each.

I really don't see these speakers staying at this low price for long, though. I remember when I got my Cali 10 a decade ago for 55 bucks - they're now 90!

8. Doug Ferguson

Doug Ferguson Friend of Leo's

How do you reckon they'd sound in a G-DEC 30? I'm looking for something a tad brighter than the stock speaker.

9. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

I love the ribbed"S" version...like a vintage Jensen that handles bass better.

10. div

div Tele-Meister

11 Gauge (or anyone else)- is the ceramic 10S as efficient as the eminence copperhead? and how does it soud different than the copperhead?

thanks

11. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

I put a pair of ceramic Weber Signature 12S in a home-brew open-backed 2x12 cabinet.
    Pretty good bang-for-the buck IMO!

Steve

12. 11 Gauge

I haven't had the amp cranked all the way up yet, so it's hard to say. At lower volumes, I'd say they're probably not that much different.

I've mainly experienced CH's in 4X10 setups, and that's just friggin loud, IMO.

But these Sig's seem more than loud enough, especially in a 2X10 setup, even if we're talking ~35 watts.

After I get about 10-15 hours on them, I'll see what happens when I dime the amp. I want to get the spiders good and worked in before I really whack them.

13. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The Copperhead sounds very different from the ceramic Sig10. More efficient, more mids and bass, less highs. I've tried all the Sig variations and the alnico S versions are the standouts.

14. div

div Tele-Meister

thanks. yeah, the copperheads to me sometimes seem too bassy or something, too meaty and thick. But I like the efficiency and extra volume they give, I have them in a vibrolux which I is my "big" amp.

weber has so many choices that it gets confusing, and some of them are pretty expensive. the signatures are so cheap I thought I could try em but if they're not efficient I dont think they're for me.

15. skeksis

skeksis Tele-Afflicted

anyone care to venture any thoughts on my scenario:
    I've got a 5f4 Super kit that I installed 2 10" CTS speakers (late 60's fender blue labels) that I had in the closet. They sound great at lower volumes, but I'm not crazy about how they break up when pushed. How would the Weber Sig alnico 10S behave differently? Any significant differences in headroom? Worth the $80 expense, or should I accept that it won't get much better than what I've already got? :)

16. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

The Webers will be similar to the CTS except more efficient, handle bass better and break up later.

17. Sworkshop1

Sworkshop1 TDPRI Member

I have experience with these and was not as impressed. I was looking for sound like a good old Oxford from an original SF. It resembled it, but was a bit 'wet cardboardy'. Not bright at all, kind of blah. I currently have it and also Ragin Cagin in the same amp. The RG smokes it on volume and clarity, but I'm not getting much from the Sigs to inspire me. Is Weber's higher-priced spread a different ballgame? I know they are highly regarded around here. Maybe I expected too much for $30? The Ragin Cajun isn't exactly right either...maybe I should try the Emi Legend that attempts to copy the old Oxford? Any experience with that? THANKS

18. dtube

dtube Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

If you're willing to spend more money with Ted, his 12F150 is an amazing speaker. Put those in any amp where the Oxfart sounds ok and you will be amazed. BUT, either order it pre-broken-in, or crank it up for a couple weeks of average playing or so before you form an opinion. Once this speaker is broken in, it sounds wonderful IMO. My two favorite DR speakers are this one and its alnico brother, the 12A150. This is all JMHO - YMMV.
    -Darren

19. flapjack

flapjack Tele-Meister

I put a Weber Ceramic Sig. 10s in a custom made 5 watt amp. I had a Warehouse speaker and an Eminence Lil' Buddy in this amp before and the Weber seems every bit as loud/efficient as them and it is much more clear and detailed to my ears.

20. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Thanks, Flapjack (cool name! If you're in a Blues band you could be Flapjack Slim).
    I've got an Epi Valve Special coming in the mail, and everybody seems to complain about the flabby/muddy/dark speaker.
    I've got Webers in both my other amps and totally love them, but they're also the bigger bucks models.
    I think I see a Sig 10 in my future.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.