1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weber Ceramic Blue Dog in Tweed Deluxe ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by derekirving, Nov 27, 2019.

1. derekirving

derekirving TDPRI Member

I currently have a Lil Dawg D-Lux amp with a Weber 12A125A speaker. I know it's a "traditional" speaker and all but the Weber seems to be a bit hollow sounding/lacking some mid punch. I'm curious if anyone has compared or used a Weber Blue Dog 'ceramic' in their tweed deluxe? I'm looking for a bit more punch / fullness (less hollow), a bit tighter bass (note definition) then the 12A125A. I'm even curious if a reissue Jensen P12R would sound fuller/less hollow then the 12A125A.

I play Tele/Strat/Jazzmaster, 50's inspired rock n roll rockabilly. No drive/boost pedals, just Reverb/Delay for Slapback and Tremolo.

2. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

Ive tried both, not in a deluxe but in a 5f2a. The blue dog was loud and had quite a bit of top end. Hard to say if it would tighten up the bass, not sure if your coupling caps are stock or not. ( Stock deluxes are generally flabby in the bass anyway). Id look at something in the 12f series if you want punch with an american flavor.

3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

The BD is noted for being a bright clear speaker. The alnico's, like the one you have, do have a bit of a "hollow" sound to my ears. So for the punch I think you re on the right track with going ceramic, not sure about the BD though. It will give you low end. Maybe the Weber guys can offer how the BD sounds compared with your 12A125. Do you like a bright speaker? Also wattage matters. 50 watt 12X125 will be fuller than a low wattage one. IIRC a 12F150 has the warmer mids, but with big low end like the BD.
    I dont think I tried a BD in my 5E3. The well broken in 12F150 -50w was killer though. But it would be a big change from the 12A125.
    Another great option is the Emi GA SC64. Uses a paper voice coil like the old speakers, but has big full sound.

4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Had a g12h30 anniv in a boutique 5e3 sounded great but ceramic not alnico.
    Wish you luck

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.