Weber British Kit Indicators

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by Rock_Glenn, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I have, kicking around, an indicator that the Ted Weber guys ship along with their British series kits, I think this is from a 6M18. I would like to use it for it's small footprint in a build but the indicator is very clearly marked 6VDC and appears to be a current limiting resistor and an LED. Oddly enough there is no anode and cathode labeled on the lamp.

The diagrams of all these kits show the 6.3VAC going directly to the indicator...

I really don't want want to build a bridge rectifier board just for the indicator. It will be fine with the AC direct, right?

2. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Yes, you should be good hooking that up directly to a 6.3v line.

dan40 likes this.
  3. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

Definitely does not work with the AC. I guess if you get a weber kit you will need to use a different indicator or rectify.

4. tresspassor

tresspassor Tele-Meister

Then it's obviously not just an LED with limiting resistor. I've built several amps using a simple LED + resistor tied directly across the heater AC lines. You don't need to feed it DC for it to work. The LED creates its own half-wave rectifier.

5. Rock_Glenn

Rock_Glenn TDPRI Member

I took it apart and it was just a current limiting resistor and led. Either way it didn't glow so it's in the trash. I squeezed a much larger incandescent indicator in there and we're rockin and rollin.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.