1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weber Alnico Speaker for 6G2 Brown Princeton Clone

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by 724SP, Apr 22, 2020.

1. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

I have a 6G2 Brownface Princeton clone that I'd like to try a Weber Alnico speaker in. I've been looking at the 12A125A, which I really enjoyed in a 5e3 build I played through for a while. I noticed the 12A125S on the website, which also looks intriguing. Anybody else played a Weber Alnico in the 6G2 princeton? Thoughts? I like the Alnico compression when the amp is really pushed, and I don't need a lot of efficiency/volume. Just figured I'd ask and see if anyone's already been down this path. Thanks!

2. Kevin Wolfe

Kevin Wolfe Tele-Holic

I was gonna say it. The 12A125. You may even consider a 10”.

Alex W and RustySterling like this.
  3. RustySterling

RustySterling Tele-Meister

4. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Thanks for the replies, I'll take a look at the 12A125 as well. I am also really considering a 10" speaker, although the baffle that is in there currently is for a 12" speaker. I do really love the 10" speaker/Princeton combo, so making a new baffle is certainly an option.
    The speaker that is currently in the amp is an Emminence Cannabis Rex. It is a nice speaker, but a little dark for my taste (I think I might like it better in a brighter Blackface amp). Thanks for all the suggestions!

5. caspersvapors

caspersvapors Tele-Meister

you dont need a new baffle. just get one of these from mojotone, works great and makes swapping sizes easy
    https://www.mojotone.com/Cabinets_x/BaffleConverters_x/Baffle-Converter-for-12-to-10-black

Kevin Wolfe and ce24 like this.
  6. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Thanks for the help, everyone! I ordered the baffle-converter from Mojotone today, thanks to caspersvapors...that looks ideal and it definitely saves me some time and money in the shop. I'll be trying the 10A125 in that amp, and I'll report back with findings. Thanks again for the guidance, appreciated as always!

caspersvapors likes this.
  7. Muzzy

Muzzy TDPRI Member

The 10A125 is a really good speaker.

8. 724SP

724SP Tele-Meister

Just an update...I got the 10A125 and replaced the 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex that was in the amp and...wow! Whole new amp, exactly what I imagined a 6G2 would sound like. Bass is tight, it has a nice mid-range presence and the top end is really much more articulate and clear. The Alnico speaker has a nice compression to it when cranked up. The amp just sounds more alive (yeah, I know that's not probably too helpful), kind of more 3 dimensional than before. I think the 10" speaker in this amp really works well, and I couldn't be happier with the Weber 10A125. It sounds so much better in the amp than the C-Rex and it isn't even broken in yet. BTW, I'm not in any way saying the C-Rex is a bad speaker, it just didn't work for me in the 6G2 clone. I think it would work much better in a bigger, brighter amp, and it definitely sounded nice when playing with overdrive. Thanks for all the solid recommendations, I appreciate the help!

Alex W likes this.
  9. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The 10A125 is probably my favourite 10" speaker out there. I have yet to hear it sound bad in anything.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.