Weber 5F6A kit on the way. Any experience with weber kits?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by KellyWalrus, Sep 9, 2019.

5F6A Kit

1. Mojotone

10 vote(s)
    45.5%
  2. Boothill

3 vote(s)
    13.6%
  3. Weber

9 vote(s)
    40.9%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Holic

I had a lot of busted welds on the chassis to the point that I just quit using them. That was a while ago, and they may have improved things since then.

+1 on Mojo.... I've dealt with them guys for 25 years or so. Customer service has always been perfect. Very very few problems and always taken care of rapidly and painlessly

2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The Weber tweed style kits are o.k.. They're not exactly a joy to build. If cost is your primary consideration, here you go.

The "6A" "American series kits were under development when Ted Senior passed. That's as far as they got. Can't speak for all of 'em because I haven't attempted tp build all of 'em.

First the good news: The stainless steel chassis isn't bad. I prefer welded corners. No welded corners here. They come with a knockout for an IEC connector. Original Fender amps didn't have IEC connectors. I don't like IEC connectors. It's one more connection to kick loose on a dark stage.

I especially don't like IEC connectors that don't fit the knockout, same ones that melt when I try to solder to them.

Weber faceplates and backplates are the only plates that fit Weber chassis products. That means the controls are uniquely spaced. If you're looking to build a bootleg or (clears throat) a more accurate replica, it ain't gonna happen.

The 6M14 I attempted to build had a circuit board with a compressed layout. It's as if the board wasn't properly scaled when it was on a computer screen which is a quick way to do flawed CAD. The compact spacing is useful for certain applications but generally a PIMA. (The "M" stands for "my")

And so on.

This ain't my first rodeo. Hell, I been to so many rodeos (so to speak) I walk with a limp.

Happy ending? Whadda you think?

I eventually tidied up the 6M14 kit. Didn't finish it. Sold it on eBay as a partially completed project. The guy I got it from assumed I used the knobs. Nope. I got no use for imported knobs with chipped edges.

I don't relish to raining on anyone's parade. I've done process engineering. I'd be happy to spend some time during the slack months re- vamping WeberVST's kit offerings. Maybe establish another line of similar products. Have one line "built" to a price and another line built up to a standard.

KellyWalrus and bblumentritt like this.
  3. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

I just heard back from them last week, they're waiting on a few parts and the head cabinet is being built. I guess they only have 6 employees so I didn't get an immediate response. I'm not complaining, just antsy to get the kit!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  4. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

I have built two Weber kits, the 6A20 Deluxe Reverb and the 6M18Vib Marshall 18 Watt. Both kits had a few minor issues with part quality, jacks mostly. The cabinets are great and both amps sound fantastic. The only trouble I had was with with B+ voltages being pretty high on the 6A20 and with me damaging some coupling caps while assembling the 18 Watt. I don't regret getting either amp. In fact I'd love to build the 6S100 head.

KellyWalrus likes this.
  5. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Yeah, I had the same experience with them. I waited the requisite amount of time and after still not hearing anything from them, I reached out to them via email and even then it took them a couple of days to respond.

But they did respond eventually and I did get the kit when they said they would have it delivered. Overall it was a great experience and I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

KellyWalrus likes this.
  6. JohnnyCrash

JohnnyCrash Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

I got two kits from Weber.

This was YEARS ago, but...

The parts were so ghetto-fabulous cheap that I was surprised they worked at all when I finished building them. From resistors on up, the parts were Chinese garbage. A pot fell apart on me. Some caps were WAY off spec when measured. A train wreck.

Customer service was awful. I had received a chassis several weeks late, and when I finally got it the chrome was messed up (brutally gouged) and it had dents in it - the shipping box was perfectly fine (hadn’t been damaged in transit): I found out after several emails that Ted sent it like that on purpose because he was mad that I was inquiring about my LATE order.

That was just childishly petty and mean.

I was done after that. I could put up with a lot, except for someone treating a paying customer like trash.

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's

For the record, I always regard Weber *speakers* as separate from the rest of their business. I've never had other than excellent service and super help from their core speaker shop.

But you're right. Some years ago I had a *bad* experience with their cab shop. Things may have changed, but at that time their *non-speaker* business seemed to be outsourced to other shops in their area, who appeared clueless and rude.

Also I think maybe they've upgraded some of their components in the kits? Anyway I'm standing by to hear how this build works out. But when someone has trouble with Weber, it almost never seems related to their speaker business.

KellyWalrus likes this.
  8. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

Well tomorrow will be a month, since I placed the order and I've received return emails. I was told they'd throw in a free shirt, last Thursday and that the kit should ship out by Friday. It's Tuesday night and still no tracking number. I'm going to contact them this Thursday and hope that its already shipped and taken care of. I understand they have a small staff, and I also expected to wait, but I just want to get the amp! They've been polite and responded to all of my emails, I just wish that the lead time was in fact 2-3 weeks as advertised. To be continued...

9. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

If they purposely damaged your chassis, that is beyond petty. Did they flat out tell you that they messed it up?

10. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

I just got a tracking number this morning! They must be watching me...

11. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

And it'll be arriving tomorrow, they must've next-day mailed it! I'm ready!

King Fan likes this.
  12. KellyWalrus

KellyWalrus TDPRI Member

Got it in the mail today! populated the turret board and installed jacks, pots, tube holders, and transformers! I'm going to make a new thread documenting my build. My girlfriend isn't happy.:(

Kevin Wolfe likes this.
  13. rocksmoot

rocksmoot Tele-Meister

Like I said, I built two kits, an 6a20 DR clone in 2016 and a Marshall 18 watt clone, the 6m18vib in 2014. (I reserve the right to be wildly inaccurate with dates) and in both kits the stock parts were of sufficient quality to build two great sounding amps. The cabs were excellent and the chassis were very good. As has been said, some of the parts should be upgraded for durability's sake, but in my experience nothing I got from Weber was outright bad and customer support was great.

Have fun with your build!

Oh yeah, both amps still work and sound great. I use the DR clone most but that's probably because of the 15inch Weber I put in it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.