Weber 12F150 WGS ET65 Eminence GA-SC64 for fender deluxe reverb 65 Reissue DRRI

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Ad Free Member
I see Weber recommend 2 speaker for DRRI, 12F150 and 12F150B.
Don't really know which are the main differences.
About the 12F150, weber suggested 2 options, 25W and 50W.
What do you think. I am looking for a classical clean sound with more clarity than C12Q offers right now. Most of the time, I won't use pedal, and at the same time, I like some times but not always when it breaks up a little.

Look at the tone descriptions on the Weber site. They're usually quite accurate.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
I have being 5 years with those speakers and I have being happy. I just wanted to try something different and I heard very nice comments about Weber. After researching, I added the WGs and the eminence. But maybe, they are other options more that fits nice with A DRRI. Weber will be around 300$ after shipping and customs which is ok, but maybe there an speaker like the P12N alnico will be a good choice. Don’t know really. I already have a alnico blue in Hw1x vox and it is awesome but British sound. I really wanted to keep that blackface American sound.
The vintage P12N is a coveted speaker. Not sure about the modern one. Yeah importing the Weber would be a lot of $. If Eminence are available over there reasonable I would go for the GA SC64.

mad dog

Friend of Leo's
If you go 10F150, I'd recommend the watter. Might give up a little volume in comparison to the 25 watt version, but really, there's more than enough volume with the weber in there. I put one in my '67 BFDR when the stock speaker blew.

RetiredUnit1

Tele-Meister
What about the Jensen P12N alnico. I can get those speaker without paying customs. I heard good things about them too.
I have a P12N in my original 68 SFDR. It's otherworldly chime-y played clean, very gritty and growls nicely when pushed. Also have an Avatar/Fane M65 in a 1x12 cabinet that I can plug into and it's more british rock-ish. Not as bright as the Jensen, fantastic growl. I'll usually use the Jensen with acoustic, and switch to the Fane with my tele.

I have zero experience with the other speakers mentioned, sorry.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
As far as I see, a C12K will already be an upgrade of the C12Q.
I see it is hard to get the right speaker, it seems to be quite subjective. I read good things about a few, and at the same time, they are quite different.
I think, if I decided myself for a weber, a GA-SC64 or any other, I will be happy anyways.
Only, when you have the option to try a few and compare them you can really feel the difference and select which one fits better with what you are looking for. At the end, what I am looking for it os just and upgrade of the C12Q, and even with the C12K, I already have it. So, I will try to decide myself with that many good options available.
Thanks a lot for your help and suggestions.

ballynally2

Tele-Holic
Good luck. Suffice to say that amp volume is connected to speaker response. If you put a highly efficient speaker in a DR you will, in all likelyhood not be able to turn the amp up beyond 3 if you play in pub. That is not ideal because you actually limit the amp's sweet spot, that is to say the balance between pre and output stages, usually around 5/6 on the dial. This for non MV amps like most Fenders.
A lower efficient speaker just gives you a better chance to reach the sweet spot. Now, if you play on a big stage and you need all the help/power you can get out of the amp it is the opposite but that is usually not the place where you see a DR unless you can get a nice monitor mix.
I found that the GAsc64 works well in the former situation and i rarely crank those amps beyond the sweet spot and i consider pedals do a better job in keeping the sound more even.I also have an issue with the recent volume pot they put in the new DRs. The taper is not right imo.
I rarely play combos anymore. It's head and cab for me. Easier to lift and fine tune to the situation. Made my 63 Vibroverb RI into a head and can now chose between alnico and ceramic speakers depending on the situation.

Edit: to me there is a huge difference between a DR on 3 and on 5/6. You can hear the amp respond, increasing in both volume and harmonics.
Too many times having to turn the amp down to blend in better with the band/vocals and not getting to the sweet spot has taught me a basic rule. Use the right speaker for the situation or get a MV amp..

Last edited:

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
Thanks for the replies.
Anyone has tried the Celestion Redback G12H. I knew yesterday, fender released a special edition with that speaker and it was nice.
In this review, his first choice for DRRI is the redback speaker. The same writer, in another review for Princeton, he says that GA10-SC64 is a very nice choice for it, and a Weber too, so I assume, he has tried quite a few speakers already.

That is a review of the special edition.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
And, about the Weber, do you guys thinks, it really worth the economic effort (around 300€), to buy the 12F150?
Because, for that price, what speaker do you recommend here in Europe for the DRRI?
Thank you

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
By the way, my actual speaker uses a C12K, the other day I was completely confused with the C12Q. Bad day though …

gridlock

Poster Extraordinaire
Silver Supporter
I’ve owned all three speakers and I would recommend the Alessandro GASC64 for a Fender Amp. Especially in SF and BF Deluxe Reverb’s, where the Alessandro really shines.

buddyboy

Tele-Meister
I've been through tons of speakers for my 1965 DR, some multiple times. I finally went back to a Weber 12F150 50 watt. Fantastic speaker that makes your Fender sound like a Fender. The GA-64SC, or whatever, was no good. Way too middy for me. That came out in a week. The WGS 12C is good too, but not as good as the Weber.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
Buy Blackbird 40, you should find it for about 180 euros. There are few very good Youtube BB40 samples and one 1h 12" speaker comparison using 5E3 where BB40 is one of seven. Long time I thought I should have stop speaker searching to Tornado 100 but now I think BB40 is the best guitar speaker for up to 20W amps.

63 vibroverb

Tele-Afflicted
And, about the Weber, do you guys thinks, it really worth the economic effort (around 300€), to buy the 12F150?
Because, for that price, what speaker do you recommend here in Europe for the DRRI?
Thank you
As much as I love the Weber, I would not push anybody to pay $300+ for it.

Since you’re in Spain, I would think you guys have better access to Jensen’s inventory than we do here in the US. I dislike the majority of Italian Jensens, but 2 winners from them are the C12K-2 (different than the standard C12K) and the Raptor. The C12K2 is very similar to the Weber 12F150B and Alltone 1250 in that it follows the recipe of a British cone on an American frame/magnet structure. The Raptor is similar but even beefier and louder.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
I will have a look to the BB40 and the C12K2.

What about the Eminence cannabis rex? Someone has tried it and compared with others?

Glowinthedark

TDPRI Member
When it comes to speakers there are lots of things to consider and least of all is the blurb from the manufacturer.
No two amps of the same type produce the same audio, instruments differ, playing style, music genre, recording microphones, desk/front of house engineers, accompanying musicians volume and the ability for your hearing to discriminate between a good sound and a great sound - a mixing desk can overcome a poor speaker response and a good microphone will reveal it!
The speaker choice is objective - pick a few speakers and gather the frequency response graphs and compare their dynamic range and power within that range (3dBA cut-off points).
Remember, opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.
On just a small point! Listening to speaker samples on a computer/tablet/phone is pointless! It's just another sound distorted, compressed and processed.

Last edited:

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
I will have a look to the BB40 and the C12K2.

What about the Eminence cannabis rex? Someone has tried it and compared with others?
C12K and C12K-2 are Ceramic speakers which can take 50W amps so they are very heavy. Driving low power most likely they color sound less than lower power rating speakers. This is not exact fact and there are exceptions.

Cannabis Rex sound very smooth but low volume lack character obviously same reason C12K and it is bit darker than other speakers.

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi Santiago!
And, about the Weber, do you guys thinks, it really worth the economic effort (around 300€), to buy the 12F150? ...
No, I don't think so ;)
Keep looking around - you'll probably be able to find one for around 150,- € shipped.
It´s a nice speaker for a DR, but it's also pretty loud and rather "aggressive"-sounding - especially the 50w-model.
I personally liked the George Alessandro better...

I like both speakers (Weber + GA-SC64) a lot better than the C12K which, imo, is too dark/muddy - and it makes the amp very heavy, too...

cheers - 68.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
I just found in Europe a Weber 12F150 new for 230€.

About the GA-SC64, from people comments, there is a lot of love, but people who hated, really hated it. And with 40W it will break maybe too early.

I like the redback G12 video from YouTube. It is maybe the alternative with a more complete revie and it sounds awesome to my ears.

The creamback G12-65 with 65w could be nice too.

Lot of option at the end jeje

slider313

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
The Celestion Alnico Cream has been mentioned as a great option in a Deluxe Reverb. That would be the one for me if I were going to spend $300 on a speaker.