Weber 12F150 WGS ET65 Eminence GA-SC64 for fender deluxe reverb 65 Reissue DRRI

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
I am looking to upgrade my Jensen C12Q for my DRRI.
I have being doing some research and I thing those 3 speaker could be a good option.
Any suggestion? Does anybody have tried any of them and had the chance to compare them?

AntonyB

TDPRI Member
On my 68’ drip edge deluxe reverb I tried
- Weber 12f150
- WGC g12C
- GA-SC64
I am interested in cleans mostly, and also am very biased toward Weber, I think they build great speakers
So I’d say Weber is great for cleans (light dope, 50W) my favorite
The GA-sc64 is also very well defined but less precise to my ears than the weber
My least favorite is the g12C in that cabinet but honestly it’s very close and it’s not in band environment

Dukex

Tele-Afflicted
On my 68’ drip edge deluxe reverb I tried
- Weber 12f150
- WGC g12C

- GA-SC64
I am interested in cleans mostly, and also am very biased toward Weber, I think they build great speakers
So I’d say Weber is great for cleans (light dope, 50W) my favorite
The GA-sc64 is also very well defined but less precise to my ears than the weber
My least favorite is the g12C in that cabinet but honestly it’s very close and it’s not in band environment
I have the 10" versions of these that I'll run my VSA 15 PR clone through occasionally. Both excellent, and I often see the 12" versions recommended for DRs. Other Weber versions that some folks like are the 12A125 and the California 12. My VSA 15 came with the WGS g12c/s, and it is also excellent.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
The et65 cleaned up some overly bright amps I had. I like the new fane m65. Has both brit growl and American chime. Picked one up at Avatar

39martind18

Friend of Leo's
I have a Weber F150 in my 1969 DR, and love the sound. Its sound is kinda like Mrs. 39Martin: nice round bottom and an impressive top!

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
Thanks all.
Reading older post, everybody talks a lot about Weber, but since the GA-SC64 appeared, it seems to be the preferred speaker in general.
A friend told me to go for the Weber for the DRRI, but I heard good things about the warehouse too, and as I said, lately, the GA-SC64, seems to be the most voted in general.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
I see Weber recommend 2 speaker for DRRI, 12F150 and 12F150B.
Don't really know which are the main differences.
About the 12F150, weber suggested 2 options, 25W and 50W.
What do you think. I am looking for a classical clean sound with more clarity than C12Q offers right now. Most of the time, I won't use pedal, and at the same time, I like some times but not always when it breaks up a little.

hotcoffeenochill

Tele-Meister
I see Weber recommend 2 speaker for DRRI, 12F150 and 12F150B.
Don't really know which are the main differences.
About the 12F150, weber suggested 2 options, 25W and 50W.
What do you think. I am looking for a classical clean sound with more clarity than C12Q offers right now. Most of the time, I won't use pedal, and at the same time, I like some times but not always when it breaks up a little.
The 12F150B is a 12F150 with a “British-style” speaker cone. Gives it a bit different sound. It’s a nice middle ground for people that like Celestions but still want to keep some of that classic DR sound.

I have tried the 12F150 and GA64-SC in my DR. I still have the 12F150. I couldn’t get rid of the GA64-SC fast enough. They both sounded good at low volume but when I pushed them I found the GA64-SC to be absolutely lifeless. I know I’m in the minority opinion on that, from reading many forum posts about the same thing.

I think the 12F150, 50 watt, light dope is close to the perfect DR speaker.

2L man

Tele-Afflicted
For European Jensen Alnicos are very good buys. P12Q, P12N and Blackbird 40 sound very sweet especially with Fenders. If you don't believe me you can read Thomann rewiews which are good when only buyers can write them. Their translator function quite well too.

To me CA-SC64 was not an improvement against C12Q RI and costing double I did return it. It sound darker and low volume was dull. Loud volume and distortion was good but against P12Q it lacks Fender chime and P12Q Europe price is cheaper. Perhaps 12" SC64 higher power rating has something to do here and 6V6 amp is not enough especially when its higher sensitivity make it louder?

BB40 is very safe buy because it never sound bad and most of the time sound great and sweet. It is somewhere between Gold and Blue but about 20W...25W is max amp power it can handle.

P12Q and P12N have bit more character than BB40 but P12Q lows are looser and can come flabby even driving dimed 6V6 push pull amp. P12N highs require some tuning with bright amps.

Tornado 100 is great speaker for all fenders. Neodym price has and will increase in the future so you can think Neo speaker as an investment.

Last edited:

dannyh

Friend of Leo's
I've used the ET65 and SC64 in a old Blackface Deluxe. I like both speakers, but the SC64 wins pretty handily to my ears. It just sounds like a BF Deluxe speaker should sound IMO.

I also really like the Emi JS-1250 in a Deluxe. It's a little brighter than either the ET65 or SC64, but very 3D and responsive. No experience with the Weber, sorry.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
First off, you mention your Deluxe Reverb has a C12Q - are you sure it isn't the C12K?

I had the 12F150 in my SF Deluxe Reverb 50W, light dope. Great speaker - very very loud, throaty and powerful. Felt like it doubled the amp's wattage. That might be something to keep in mind if you play without pedals and still want to get breakup out of your amp.

If you're able to get them in Spain, I'd put Jupiter on your list. They're built by WGS but have slightly different specs, and right now they're my current favorites for classic Fender sound. I'd be tempted to try the 12SC, but the 12LC will be safer from a power handling standpoint.

schmee

Telefied
Silver Supporter
-My favorite of those three is the GA SC 64. It will be killer right out of the box.

-If you are playing quiet or quite loud the Weber 12F150, light dope , 50 watt, screen dust cover is superb. The right one of these could be my favorite, but these take a long long time to break in and get right. Factory break in isn't even close to getting there. I used to use this speaker in my vintage 65 BFDR and there where times I'd turn around at a gig and just smile at the tone that was coming out of it. That was an old one from the early 2000's labeled "C12N" and well well broken in.
There is something about the "voice" that comes from that speaker when loosened up. It's like listening to two vocalists singing the same thing, both right on the notes, but one just has a vocal quality that is amazing. The problem is I have had 12F150's that just never seemed to get broken in like the early ones I had.

-The Warehouse ET65 is a good speaker IF you want to tame the highs. Not equal to either of the other two IMHO.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
First off, you mention your Deluxe Reverb has a C12Q - are you sure it isn't the C12K?

I had the 12F150 in my SF Deluxe Reverb 50W, light dope. Great speaker - very very loud, throaty and powerful. Felt like it doubled the amp's wattage. That might be something to keep in mind if you play without pedals and still want to get breakup out of your amp.

If you're able to get them in Spain, I'd put Jupiter on your list. They're built by WGS but have slightly different specs, and right now they're my current favorites for classic Fender sound. I'd be tempted to try the 12SC, but the 12LC will be safer from a power handling standpoint.
Yes, you are right, I have a C12K.
My idea about the speaker is not to get it louder but with more clarity and control.
Did not know about Jupiter, I have to check.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
-My favorite of those three is the GA SC 64. It will be killer right out of the box.

-If you are playing quiet or quite loud the Weber 12F150, light dope , 50 watt, screen dust cover is superb. The right one of these could be my favorite, but these take a long long time to break in and get right. Factory break in isn't even close to getting there. I used to use this speaker in my vintage 65 BFDR and there where times I'd turn around at a gig and just smile at the tone that was coming out of it. That was an old one from the early 2000's labeled "C12N" and well well broken in.
There is something about the "voice" that comes from that speaker when loosened up. It's like listening to two vocalists singing the same thing, both right on the notes, but one just has a vocal quality that is amazing. The problem is I have had 12F150's that just never seemed to get broken in like the early ones I had.

-The Warehouse ET65 is a good speaker IF you want to tame the highs. Not equal to either of the other two IMHO.
Breaking the speaker could be an issue. My main idea is to record in the studio, but I don’t how long will it take to break as it is for medium little use.

InstantCoffeeBlue

Tele-Holic
Yes, you are right, I have a C12K.
My idea about the speaker is not to get it louder but with more clarity and control.
Did not know about Jupiter, I have to check.

Probably seems counterintuitive, but if that's the case, you might like a less efficient speaker with a lighter magnet and smaller voice coil. Especially if it's for studio use.

PhredE

Tele-Afflicted
For reference:

Since the C12K is rated at 100WRMS, you might double-down and continue to break it in under more power. There are lots of ways of dampening ('muting') the speaker at the same time -- a quick online search will uncover several that are known to work pretty well -- if that's an issue.

As Schmee and others have alluded to in previous posts, the WGS ET65 is a bit less pronounced in the highs, but a fine speaker nonetheless. I have one and like it lot for the sound / power I need.

SantiagoClement

TDPRI Member
For reference:

Since the C12K is rated at 100WRMS, you might double-down and continue to break it in under more power. There are lots of ways of dampening ('muting') the speaker at the same time -- a quick online search will uncover several that are known to work pretty well -- if that's an issue.

As Schmee and others have alluded to in previous posts, the WGS ET65 is a bit less pronounced in the highs, but a fine speaker nonetheless. I have one and like it lot for the sound / power I need.
I have being 5 years with those speakers and I have being happy. I just wanted to try something different and I heard very nice comments about Weber. After researching, I added the WGs and the eminence. But maybe, they are other options more that fits nice with A DRRI. Weber will be around 300$ after shipping and customs which is ok, but maybe there an speaker like the P12N alnico will be a good choice. Don’t know really. I already have a alnico blue in Hw1x vox and it is awesome but British sound. I really wanted to keep that blackface American sound.