WEBER 12F150 OR 12F150W IN MY DRRI? ANY EXPERIENCE ?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by MV80, Feb 20, 2005.

1. MV80

MV80 Tele-Meister

Hi palls,

I'm thinking to buy a Weber replacement speaker for my 1998 DRRI. The stock eminence speaker must be change ... I'm not sure beetween the 12F150 25 watts or the 12F150W 25 watts.

Wath's your recommendations?

Thanks

2. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

what's the W mean?

Sorry, I haven't tried either. Do you know what the W on the end of the one type is supposed to indicate? Have you asked Ted for recommendations? Send him an email using the link on his web page, he can help you narrow down which is right for your amp and what you want the speaker to do for you. He had recommended the 12F150 for an SFDR of mine; the 12F150W never occurred to me and he never suggested it as an alternative.

3. MV80

MV80 Tele-Meister

Wath the W is meaning?

I don't know, but if you read the description on the weber internet site it said that this speaker is more like 60'bright tone with lot of Tele twang: this is the tone I'm looking for cause I play a 52 RI Tele and like a big clean twang tone to play blues. Ted Weber suggest the 12F150 25 watts but he said that the 12F150W will be perfect if I want more twang.

I'm just looking someone who experience this specific speaker before buy it.

DESCRIPTION ON WEBER SITE
    8lb (3.63Kg)
    12-1/8" (30.79cm) diameter, 5" (12.7cm) deep.
    12F150W
    $95.00
    Brighter 60's Tele twang tone with ceramic punch. Replaces Chicago Jensen C12Q, C12N and Oxford ceramic 12's.
    12", 40oz ceramic magnet, 25 or 50 watts, 1-1/2" voice coil, ribbed cone.
    Bright, moderately crunchy breakup, midrange punch, twangy, aggressive, loud, more headroom than the AlNiCo version.

4. yegbert

yegbert Poster Extraordinaire

better price

MV80, you can get a Weber speaker discounted 10% if you buy through Rob DiStefano (TDPRI member, BTW) at http://www.frettech.com/. I have no commercial interest in FretTech, this is just a friendly tip to save you or anyone else thinking about buying a new Weber speaker a few bucks.

5. Rip

Rip TDPRI Member

Speaker for Deluxe

I just put in a Weber 12A150A in my Deluxe Reverb and ....WOW! If you can spring for the extra coin for the Alnico speaker you won't regret it. I compared it to vintage Jensen P12N, Jensen EM1250 and Celestion V30....it's got it all. I got the 50 watt version just in case I want to go crazy, but the 25 watt also available ..great speaker... I feel like I got my amp back and then some....

6. banjovi800

banjovi800 TDPRI Member

Did you get the 50 watt version?

7. old goat

old goat Tele-Holic

I have one of each of the alnico versions in a tremolux cab (I put 12's in). 25 watts each (35watt amp). The W has more twang--but the difference is quite subtle to my blown out ears.

8. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

12F150's in all variants are great speakers (as are their Alnico brothers). For me, the "T" was the one.

I'd get the 50w w/ light dope just for a bit of extra headroom and so I could use in a variety of other projects down the road if I wanted (i.e. more powerful amp applications).

9. jmaul

jmaul Tele-Afflicted

I have a 12F150 50w, no dope and it is a great great speaker.

I can't compare it with any other varieties, but I have compared it to my blue dogs(3 differently spec'd ones) and I usually prefer the 12f150.

Be warned, the difference between doped and undoped is equal to or greater than the difference between ceramic vs alnico. If you are not pushing the speaker to its wattage limits frequently OR if you are not doing crazy playing between frets 10-21(22?) very often, then undoped will sound much much better. As far as alnico vs ceramic, they have tradeoffs. Ceramic highs are more piercing while alnico is sweeter and smoother. Ceramic lows are well defined and not flabby. Alnico lows lose focus, especially at higher volumes. Tough decision, which is why the best 212 cabs have one of each.

10. PeteGalaxie

PeteGalaxie Tele-Meister

Resurrecting this thread...

I'm familiar with a Celestion Anniversary G12H30. How does the "brightness" of a 12F150 compare to a G12H30? How does the 12F150W compare to a G12H30? I know the G12H30 will have more mids, but I'm concerned about getting a speaker (12F150 or F150W) that's going to be too bright (harsh/shrill top end).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.