Weber 12F150 in a Blues Jr?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Tele Vince, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

Not really looking for a lot of different speaker recommendations. Just curious if anyone has tried the 12F150 in the Blues Jr. How did it sound, especially compared to the reissue Jensen C12N that’s stock in the NOS tweed. Thanks!

2. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

I had the C12N and a buddy had the Weber..older vers maybe c12ns before the f150s...Weber more stout..nice speaker...orig Jensen more sparkle

Tele Vince likes this.
  3. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

Thank you for the reply. I found with the C12N that I was always a bit reluctant going to my single-coil bridge pickups because of the harshness. Now, I have an Emi GA-SC64, and the bridge pickup sounds amazing (still sparkling, but not harsh). However, I wish the treble knob could go beyond 12 on the amp when using humbuckers. HBs are just too dull and dark with that speaker. I’m wondering if the Weber 12F150 sits somewhere between the C12N and GA-SC64 in its balance of warmth and brightness.

4. uriah1

Weber is great for Rock..pretty fat..compared to the chime of the other .. imho

5. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

Weber has several 12Axxx speakers. Contact Weber and tell them: your guitars, the amp, and what you want it to sound like. You’ll get one or more recommendations, probably from CJ Sutton.

In any case, look at the speaker’s depth vs. room for it in the amp. You may need to remove the speaker’s bell or the amp’s tube cage.

6. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

Thank you both! Got an email from CJ from Weber, and he recommended the 12F150 and 12F150B. I see plenty of info out there about the former in a Deluxe Reverb, but not much in the way of the latter or either of them in a Blues Jr.

7. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic

I've tried both of those speakers in a Supersonic 22. They were both nice but I liked the B cone version more. At least in that amp, it helped fill the mids when switching to the Fat channel and sounded smoother when pushed with overdrive. It also sounded brighter to me than the 12F150 (which, to my ears, sounded very similar to the GA-SC64).

8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

The Jensen C12N was the speaker Ted was trying to emulate in creating the Weber C12N/12F150. But the modern Jensen C12N's can be quite harsh. I have had vintage ones that were also, but I suspect they were not used much, even though old. The Weber does it better IMHO, although some old
    well-worn Jensens can be magic for sure.

I think you are about right regarding the Jensen C12N and SC64, the 12F150 sits between them, but much closer to the SC64 once broken in.

9. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

BlueCajun - I'm surprised the 150B sounded brighter than the 150. (I hear the opposite based on their sound samples: https://www.tedweber.com/12f150, https://www.tedweber.com/12f150-b.) Maybe a difference between "sparkle" (~3-6kHz) on the 150 vs "chime" (~1-3kHz) on the 150B?

I recall from our past chains that you've tried the GA-SC64 in a few amps now. I know you say they're very similar above, but were there some noticeable differences to you between the SC64 and 12F150?

Thanks!

10. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

Schmee - thank you for that description. I played the C12N a good amount at rehearsals and gigs, but still found it a bit too shrill for any leads while on the bridge pick-up (e.g. around the 3:35 mark of the video ). Liked the cut it had on rhythm though. The GA-SC64 sounds pretty good on leads with the tele, even the bridge pickup. However, with the GA-SC64, even turning the bass and mids down a lot on the amp, I can't crank the treble up enough while using my ES-335 (which had no problem with the C12N). If the Weber 12F150 isn't much different from the GA-SC64, or alternatively would reintroduce some of the problem the C12N had, I might as well keep the GA-SC64 and see what I can do for the ES-335 using an EQ pedal instead.

11. schmee

Yeah, the 12F150 can have a big bottom end. Kinda like typical SRV low notes for example. I use 50 watters though because I want that. Maybe a 30 watt 12F150 style would be great for you. I love the SC64 myself.

12. Tele Vince

Tele Vince TDPRI Member

Pretty happy with how the SC64 works for my tele. I'll play around with some more nuanced eq options with the ES-335 before going through the trouble of a speaker swap.

Schmee - I'm guessing the SC64 is pretty great with the Deluxe Reverb, considering its tubes probably create more high-end compared to the Blues Jr (6V6 vs EL84)?

13. schmee

it is my favorite of maybe 20 speakers I've tried over the years. I dont know though, the EL84's can be punchy, but they also have that high end "sizzle" I call it. Different than the 6V6's though for sure. I had a Z Ghia for some time and man that thing was punchy for sure.

14. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic

Honestly, it's been a few years. But I do recall CJ telling me that the B cone was supposed to be less bright. And now that I think about it, the regular cone was fairly bright when I bought it but got softer as it broke in. The B cone never really got less bright in the time I had it. And I played the B cone considerably longer than the regular cone. Weird. Maybe there was something wrong with mine?

Regarding the SC64 and 12F150, I wish I could recall the differences. I just remember them being very similar. And that makes sense as they are both clones of old Jensens. But I also never played them side by side either. If I had, I might have picked up on a few details.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help!

15. tedro

tedro Tele-Afflicted

sorry, which other, the Jensen C12-N or the Emi GA-SC64?
    thanks

how about a Weber 12F150-B? any idea?

16. uriah1

I don't recognize new Weber codes..they have so so many on the same trak.
    You would probably be happy with either of 3. Lots like that Allesandro version and the old alltone vers, almost same thing.
    The SC64 is around 40watts and C12N around 75...The weber comes in billions of wattage types and their dope rim types.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.