1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weber 12A150 in a DRRI?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Primo Don, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Primo Don

Primo Don Tele-Meister

So I didn't care for the "reissue" Jensen in it... I didn't like the top end on the Celestion Vintage 30... Now I'm thinking about the AlNiCo 50watt-er from Weber, smoother highs...compression, yummy. His website describes it as similar to the P12N's in late 50's/early 60's Tweeds. 12A125's for 50's Deluxes, just a smaller voice coil...

Do these speakers like pedals?

And then...12A150, 12A150A, 12A150B, etc.? It goes on and on. What's this suffix all this about? Cone differences, right?

Waddayalltink? Adam

2. Mik

Mik Tele-Afflicted

I tried a 12A150-O in a tweed Deluxe. The sound was too dark and the speaker was less efficient than the P12R it replaced. Maybe "too much speaker" for the Deluxe. Now I'm pounding that Weber in a Concert, much better match, I think the Weber is 25 watt so now it's too much amp for the speaker-but I haven't blown up the speaker, yet.

A 12A150-? might work in a bright BFDR. Which one? Best to talk directly to Ted Weber, call him for advice.

From the Speaker Descriptions section of the Weber site, seems the suffix letter refers to the sound/style of the speaker, not the cone.

Mik

3. jeffreyk51

jeffreyk51 TDPRI Member

Try a Red Fang in your DR

The Red Fang by Eminence is a sweet sounding Celestion Blue, very articulate and warm. The best speaker out there currently.

Jeff

4. denny

denny Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I have one in my bfdr

I love it.

I second the motion to talk to Ted. I called and he asked me about a dozen questions - how loud, what types of effects, what styles, etc. He recommended a 12A150 with a "standard 072" cone and "lite doping". Apparently if you are going to play a very loud levels, the speaker needs "doping" treatment to prevent cone cry.

After our pleasant (and educational) chat, the speaker arrived within a week.

denny

(Liked doing biz with this guy, so I got a Mass and a Bias-Rite as well)

5. Primo Don

Primo Don Tele-Meister

Got a reply from Ted Weber...

He suggested the 12F150 (ceramic) or the budget priced ceramic Signature 12. I thought I wanted to see if this AlNiCo mojo exists. Do I? :rolleyes:

Thoughts? Adam

6. Tremo

Tremo Banned

dood, if you want to check out alnico, go for it. It will cost you more money. OTOH, if you don't like it, you can easily resell it and recover most of your money.

I personally really like alnico. Other guys prefer ceramic, it's a matter of personal taste. You'll have to let your own ears decide what you like. Just be sure to give the speakers time to break in properly before making a final decision.

7. BADFISH

BADFISH Tele-Meister

Ted Weber told me I would like the "ceramic" 12F150's, So I orderd two of them............I did not like them... Now I have The Alnico version and I'm very happy. Weber Pushes the Ceramics every time.. I'm just into alnico. Weber makes great speakers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.