Weber 12A125

Augustin187

TDPRI Member
I’ve read in a lot of places that the Alnico Blue really wants to live in an open back cab.

Is that the same for this Weber 12A125?

I’m looking at this speaker at 4 ohms 30 watt to use in an extension cab with a champ (the champ speaker unplugged)

I have a closed back cab - I guess I could make an open back for it - but I wouldn’t know where to start regarding the amount to cut out.

Just wondering if the 12A125 necessarily wants to live in an open back - the way some other speakers might.

This is for studio use.

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
No. I know of no characteristics it has that favor an open or closed cab. The different cabs will sound different because of the different physics, of course.

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
60s Bassman 2x12 cabs were closed back and were loud and tight. They punched, man. I had one, my dumbest sell. They were F type, but I assume these were Q type drivers. So, sounds like a good idea.

Jakeboy

Tele-Afflicted
12a125 is a great speaker and sound superb in an open-backed Champ circuit. Never tried it closed back but I am sure it’ll sound great there too…your ears will have to make the call.

schmee

Telefied
Ad Free Member
I think the 12A125 or the Blue would be fine in a closed back. Both are pretty bright speakers, so a closed back is not a bad thing. I would not use a 12A150 in closed back though.

Wally

Telefied
Ad Free Member
60s Bassman 2x12 cabs were closed back and were loud and tight. They punched, man. I had one, my dumbest sell. They were F type, but I assume these were Q type drivers. So, sounds like a good idea.
Side note just to keep things straight. A Jensen speaker with an F is a field coil..electromagnet…speaker. Ex: F15N. A Jensen with an Alnico permanent magnet uses the P code….Ex: P15N. A Ceramic magnet Jensen uses a C code…ex: C15N.
A Q in reference to a Jensen speaker denotes the power handling….Q havingmless handling capacity than an N and more than an R. ex: F10Q, P10Q, C10Q.

zook

Friend of Leo's
Side note just to keep things straight. A Jensen speaker with an F is a field coil..electromagnet…speaker. Ex: F15N. A Jensen with an Alnico permanent magnet uses the P code….Ex: P15N. A Ceramic magnet Jensen uses a C code…ex: C15N.
A Q in reference to a Jensen speaker denotes the power handling….Q havingmless handling capacity than an N and more than an R. ex: F10Q, P10Q, C10Q.
Also, R has a 1" voice coil, Q has a 1 1/4" voice coils and N has a 1 1/2" voice coil.