1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Weather Report's Heavy Weather: not what I expected but a very nice listening anyway.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by TeleAndSG, Apr 23, 2017.

1. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

These were/are musicians of the highest caliber. Joe Zaniwul, Wayne Shorter, and Jaco Pastorius in the same band!. Shorter, in particular, assumed a more restrained role than he did while working with Miles Davis. And while not precisely easy listening, its relatively easy on the ear if you compare it with their flightier moments. Nevertheless, their signature sounds are there in spades. Nice listening indeed.

2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Heavy Weather is a true masterpiece showcasing all it's member's talent.
    It's the first non-guitar centric jazz album I ever listened to.
    Love it!

BorderRadio likes this.
  3. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

It is. Particularly the last track, Havona, where you can listen to Sorter making his soprano sax sing (literally). If anyone assumed that Davis wouldn't find an equal to John Coltrane, well, that person assumed wrong. Davis found Shorter, plus Hancock!, plus Tony Williams!.

brookdalebill and nocastermike like this.
  4. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great album.

5. asatfan

asatfan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Seems we have a lot of musical tastes in common, Bill!
    Had the pleasure of seeing this line-up of Weather Report in '73 or '74. If I remember correctly, Gato Barbieri was there, too. That record is one of my "jazz" favorites.

brookdalebill likes this.
  6. paratus

paratus Friend of Leo's

Great impact on me when it came out, used to love these guys and Chick Corea's Return to Forever.

7. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

That was another super group. My favorite album of theirs is Hymn to the sceventh galaxy. Bill Connors' work is less flashy than Di Meola's, but superb anyway.

8. dlc1953

dlc1953 Tele-Meister

Had it own Vinyl many years ago.Great album!

9. RoyBGood

RoyBGood Doctor of Teleocity

Still have it on vinyl. Classic LP.

10. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I used to love jazz fusion but over the years I find I return more to straight ahead jazz. And I always felt that Shorter was a bit underused in Weather Report. My favourite stuff of his is his '60s Blue Note albums, like JuJu and Speak No Evil.

11. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Yes. Not only he's a maestro, but also a terrific composer. I particularly love his more abstract compositions recorded with Miles Davis' second great quitet (the Sorcerer and Nefertiti albums).

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Heavy Weather + Mr. Gone got to me at the very young age of 8 or 9 years. I still go back to both, terrific albums.

13. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

I'm very curious about their earlier albums. Fusion in 1970-72 was ... jazzier?. Funkier?. More avant garde?.

14. tintag27

tintag27 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I was a big fusion fan in the 70's and saw a lot of my heroes play live in quite small venues, some at college events.
    Weather Report was one (Joe Zawinul!), Return to Forever (with DiMeola), John McLaughlin's Mahavishnu Orchestra, and some of the great originals like Miles Davis, Herbie Hancock - Roland Kirk... Damn! - when I write a list like that it reminds me how lucky I was to be young, with that kind of musicianship to watch!

paratus and BorderRadio like this.
  15. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Purists might disagree, but all these Jazz musicians that started in, or became famous in, the 60's (Hancock, Shorter, Williams, Corea, McLaughlin, and of course, Keith Jarrett) were a bolder generation that really did things differently. By comparison, a handful today's jazz stars seem to be stuck in a distant past. Each one to his own.

paratus and tintag27 like this.
  16. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd say they weren't as 'accessible'--so more avant garde. WR in my mind was always a part of the 'avant garde' continuum, but also paved way for dilution, like say Manhattan Transfer or Chuck Mangione. I like my jazz with sharp edges but there are always exceptions :)

17. TeleAndSG

TeleAndSG Tele-Afflicted

Did you ever listen to Herbie Hancock's "Mwandishi" period?. Now that's a jazz-funk-avant garde fusion full of sharp, but always magnificent edges. Headhunters is much more well known, and it great, but nothing like that period.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.