Wearing Levi’s today

stxrus

Doctor of Teleocity
I’ve almost always washed my jeans after every wearing. Maybe two wearings, unless I was at deer camp
It’s the way I was raised. I had a friend that would go weeks between washings. His girlfriend thought he was a moron for wearing dirty clothes

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
I quit buying Levi's products after they totaled a nice looking white Porsche in a TV commercial in the 1970s.

No, "Mod Squad" will never be on my list of things to watch. Don't mess up cars, if you want my business.

Bruxist

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Timely video:

My understanding is that Levi's are made in a LOT of different places to a LOT of different QA Standards.

My last pair did not lost terribly long. I have been buying whatever is at Costco. They don't last any longer than the Levi's I had purchased but they cost less.

fretbuzzard

Tele-Meister
I like Gustin. Once you get past the selvedge denim poseur stuff, they are solid, American made jeans using interesting, high-quality denim, and can be had for less that $100. Reasonable for the durability, and for a product made by a company that pays their workers US wages.

Spox

Tele-Meister
I wore the used 508s for the first time last week and within 48 hours a tear had appeared in the bit they wear out.

I was duped!

bobio

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Wranglers :cool:

20210528_160922664_iOS.jpg

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
After wearing them for 50 years or so I gave up on them.

Junk
I dove back in and bought a blue and a black pair of 501s. 12.5 oz. Not bad. They wear just like I remember.
Of course White Mill Cone denims are hard to come by unless you're willing to shell out $200 for a pair of skinny jeans.

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
BTW, if you're willing to shell out, Tellason is making the best Denim these days, IMO. Made in SF. Some fabrics wither from White Cone Mills (they bought a ton), and other denims from Japan. I have one of their heavy weight 17.5 oz Trucker jackets when they were still sourcing from White Cone. Their current one is made from fabric from Japan (still sewn in SF), but no doubt it's a lifer.

Lonn

Poster Extraordinaire
I bought my first Levi’s in 30 years last August when I took a new job where I could wear jeans. Three pairs of 514s and I couldn’t be happier. They did cost 50 bucks a pair which surprised me but they’re very heavy duty and I wear them every day. Love them. Don’t care where they’re made. People in other countries have to make a living too.

burntfrijoles

Poster Extraordinaire
I only wear cheap jeans... I can't recall the last time I bought a pair of Levi's.

Since I retired, I only wear jeans or shorts. Since I live in Florida, it's mostly shorts (never jorts). My shirts are usually just T-shirts or generic polo style shirts.

The only clothing item that I spend real money for is footwear, because at my age, that's essential.

I may go see the latest Jurassic offering soon. What number is this? How many more are left? Are dinosaurs now free range in Kansas, Iowa or Nebraska?

wangdaning

Tele-Meister
If you want good denim you need to be in an area that produces cotton products. San Francisco has no cotton. I am not a fan of Levi, but they do have some decent jeans. There are just so many versions you really have to consider what you want. Wrangler strait or boot cut are nice. I got a pair of blue Dickies work pants recently, made in Honduras. They were overly stiff, but it is getting better. I know they come stiff, but they were like sheet metal until I ran them on the rinse cycle a few times.

You can get US made Levi pants, but it is going to cost you to pay those US wages. I am fine with the China made ones, 505s are ok. They tend to ship the product to the US and reimport it, which is annoying. It is an artificial price jump and I do not see how they can justify it with ports being backed up on both sides. There is also Japanese made Levi pants, for those who just hate China. They are about the same cost here as the US made ones, not sure what the cost would be in the US.

Happy Enchilada

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Since That Which We Dare Not Name reared its ugly head a couple years ago, I've accumulated a wardrobe of sweatpants. With the world in such a swirl, I never really thought about my appearance that much, feeling lucky to be alive. Lately, however, I'm digging my Wranglers out when I have to be in the public eye, and it feels great to be wearing "real pants" again.

Wrangler now makes jeans that are 100% US materials and labor. Cotton grown here, fabric milled here, cut and sewn here, and even the hardware is American. Check their website - I think they're about double the cost of the ones made in Nicaragua or wherever, but since I don't go through jeans like when I was younger, I may try a pair. There are other companies as well - Texas Jeans for one.

TomBrokaw

Tele-Meister
I rarely wear jeans ever since I discovered Prana. They're cargo pants, comfortable, practical, seem to wear well, dry quickly, comfortable, and they are also comfortable.