Wear on body of Brad Paisley Sig Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by KellyCaster71, Jun 17, 2019.

1. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

I've had this Brad Paisley Sig for almost a couple of years. Got it right around launch. I picked it up off my Fender 5-guitar stand and noticed it stuck a little bit. Looks like the foam of the stand has eaten through the finish on both places it touches on the body. The paint has been discolored and has become very rough and bumpy. It's not a huge deal to me, as it's already road worn anyway. But it's strange in that I have had other guitars on the same stand (nitro finishes too) for much longer and have never had a problem. I wonder if a coating that they used to cause some of the crazing may have been the culprit? Any ideas? I love the guitar otherwise.

AYkv0yTRRpWR+fawT%MdqA.jpg 8KivAyI3SnWKXov8NamQbA.jpg

2. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

it's your stand; whatever is making contact = ng; not completely inert wrt this particular guitar

3. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

The finish is just weird on those. Necks and bodies. Like it never fully cures or something. I had one. Nice guitar but that tacky feeling got old.

4. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Keep it in a case? Actually this really makes me wonder why no stands have the same type of material as cases.. you don't usually hear (at least for many decades) of guitars getting damaged by contact with the interior material of cases.

5. TelePunkJCM

TelePunkJCM Tele-Meister

6. muscmp

muscmp Tele-Afflicted

the foam on my stands started to rot so i glued pieces of old cotton socks over those areas as a covering.

play music!

hellopike and Owenmoney like this.
  7. Owenmoney

Owenmoney Tele-Afflicted

This is the quick and easy answer ! Ok it might not log great but it works !

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muscmp likes this.
  8. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Thanks for the tips guys. Just strange that it doesn't affect the other guitars on the same stand. Must be reacting with something on that particular finish.

9. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

I have an old t-shirt thrown over the stand for my nice guitar so it doesn’t come in direct contact with the foam. The foam on the stand for my Squier partscaster has started to rot/stick to the finish where it touches. The next stand I buy will just be wood with old t-shirts for padding.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  10. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Wow those are really nice.. really expensive too.

I have a cheapie stand with foam but I never leave the guitar there for more than a few minutes.

The guitar might get put down if I need to take care of something for a minute, that's it. When I'm done playing it goes back in the case.

Still, it doesn't make sense that anything gets sold with foam at all if problems are so common.

11. stefanhotrod

stefanhotrod Tele-Meister

It‘s the particular finish I guess.
    Most Guitar stands are not nitro-safe, too bad. Maybe it‘s a kind of lacquer that never really cures...Is the guitar stand exposed to sunlight? Some lacquers react a lot with UV.

12. KellyCaster71

KellyCaster71 Tele-Holic

Not direct sunlight, I'm with you on the lacquer. My GE Smith sits right next to it with no problems at all. I just put some socks/towels on the foam areas with my nitro guitars. If I put everything in it's case I tend to play them less so I like to keep them out and ready. That foam really ate away at that Paisley body!

13. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Tele-Holic

I have never had a stand with foam padding, but plenty with a pvc/rubber-ish "padding", including my wall mounts, with no ill effects such as been described here. I never knew that was a thing with foam. Thanks for the heads up.

KellyCaster71 likes this.
  14. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I wrap the foam on all all my guitar stands with white hockey tape. As you noticed, the foam can react with some finishes.

KellyCaster71 likes this.
  15. qblue

qblue Tele-Afflicted

That Brad Paisley is done in Nitrocellulose lacquer, and if your other guitars are done in poly, then this is the reason. You gotta be careful with any kind of nitro finish. The nitro reacts with some rubbers they use on stands.

16. Gary in Boston

Gary in Boston Friend of Leo's

Why doesn't somebody, anybody make a guitar stand with something like flannel on cotton baton arms hold the guitar things. ?

I've seen too many guitars wrecked by (insert favorite stand name here).

Why?

Gary

17. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Do not apply bug dope to the front of your shirt and play a nitro guitar.

18. Rob77

Rob77 Tele-Meister

I agree here.
    However I think we all know the answer why we don't have nicer stands. The typical foam padded ones are mass produced out of China and are real cheap.
    Don't think people would spend double or triple the price for a more guitar friendly material.

Better buy the cheap and modify them ourselves (just like we do with guitars!).

Steve 78 likes this.
  19. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

No company will guarantee a stand to not react with a guitar finish. There’s too much at stake to offer a guarantee.

20. rarebreed

rarebreed Tele-Holic

While I don't remember the brand name, I used to have two guitar stands where the guitar hangs by the headstock. The black foam that was on them started wearing through so I took it off and put some black rubber fuel line hose on the hanger. Now both of the guitars that I hung on those stands have a stain in the finish that looks like they have had cigarettes stuck under the string above the nut, and I'm not a smoker, never have been.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.