Weak P90 bridge pickup

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Danjabellza, Oct 14, 2019.

1. Danjabellza

Danjabellza Friend of Leo's

I’ve got a revstar 502, and I love it! The issue is, with medium to higher gain settings the bridge pickup is fairly weak, almost anemic. Even with height adjustments, I’m getting to the point that I don’t use it for those rock/roll sounds anymore. I just switch to the neck. This guitar is also equipped with a push/pull “dry switch” which engages essentially a high pass filter to remove some of the low end. According to Yamahas website the resistance should be +/- 9.3k for the 502 and the 502t +/- 8.3k. I have 2 theories:
    A: I got a bridge pickup from the other model of guitar, so it has a lower DC resistance, or
    B: my dry switch is somehow engaged full time on the bridge pickup.

Any other ideas? Suggested fixes? I’m not going to ditch the guitar since it’s otherwise fantastic, I’m open to new pickups, and might just replace the wiring harness to see if that fixes it.

Any pickup recommendations?

2. rigatele

rigatele Tele-Afflicted

You can verify the approximate bridge pickups resistance without opening the guitar by measuring at the jack, with the bridge only selected and the volume at max. That would be a good first troubleshooting step to verify/discount your possibility "B".

It's also possible that you have a coil short, which may or may not change the DCR.

Tonetele and blille like this.
  3. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

New guitar? Used guitar? In your hands for how long?

4. Danjabellza

I’ve had it for 2 years. Got it second hand. Not sure when I noticed the anemic bridge pickup.

5. sothoth

sothoth Tele-Holic Double Platinum Supporter

Then do what rigatele said and check the resistance to see where you stand.

I’ve had a few guitars where I suddenly find them blah and it’s usually when I make changes to another guitar in my connection to get it exactly where I want it and then suddenly the standby seems less exciting. The other issue is when I’ve changed amps and some guitars seem to sing better than others. I had a pair of Lollar alnico pole P90s that worked well for me until I switched to a higher gain Orange amp and then they just didn’t work as well for some reason.

I’m curious otherwise how you like that guitar, I like the looks and the price is reasonable.

Danjabellza likes this.
  6. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

8k or 9k is pretty good for a large single coil pickup like the P90 and it should be able to bring the mojo when picking hard and over the pickup, they are very responsive pickups.
    My guess is you have an electrical problem. Either it's the "Dry Switch" or they have some 250k pots or .033/.047 cap. I find them to be better with 500k pots and .022 cap or volume only.

Danjabellza likes this.
  7. Danjabellza

H
    It’s absolutely fantastic, apart from the bridge pickup being weak under higher gain applications. Neck is comfy and super playable. Neck pickup is great for all applications. And bridge is great for clean/edge of breakup. I’m very much planning on getting the 620 or 820 for full on humbucker goodness down the road.

8. Danjabellza

Will check. Thanks.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.