1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

weak classic vibe neck pickup fixed.

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by buckwalder, Sep 30, 2014.

1. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I have read this is a common problem with these guitars. Today I noticed that the neck pickup dropped in volume and sounded weak and thin.

So, I took off the pick guard to get to the height adjust screws. As soon as I turned the screw the pickup came to life and is now louder than it has ever been.

I don't know what I did but maybe something was touching the black shielding paint. There was a slight static noise as I touched the adjustment screw.

So, just a heads up. Maybe the pickup problem with these is an easy fix.

2. HotDan!

HotDan! Friend of Leo's

I wouldn't call this a 'common problem' as you say (in fact, the first I heard of it) but I have to wonder how you picked up the 'static'. Testing plugged in? Usually any contact of a metal object (such as a screwdriver) anywhere on the pickup will cause the 'static' you describe so that's pretty much normal.

3. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

I went to google and typed in " Squier Classic Vibe Telecaster weak neck pickup" and got a lot of hits. Yes, I had it plugged in. What I'm saying is that pickup was fine all along and it just needed to be moved a bit.
    The static from the screwdriver went away once the pickup came to life.

So the reason I posted this is, so if anyone has the same problem, they should try this before changing the pickup. Maybe a blob of shielding paint was touching something on the bottom of the pickup.

4. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for the tip! Sometimes the smallest problems seem like it could be a major deal!
    I'll definitely be checking connections/shielding etc prior to ordering new pickups right away if I ever get a power loss, or signal drop from one pickup.. :)

5. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

The thing is, the neck pickup always sounded weak to me but yesterday it became even weaker.

Now it sound full and loud! I see no reason to change it out. I always liked the bridge pickup though. These are just great instruments as is. I did change a few things on mine such as, a vintage reissue bridge and the older style round knobs, control plate and a bridge cover. The bridge cover stays off most of the time.

This may be my imagination but with the bridge cover on it seems to sound a little different, in a good way.

6. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Oh yes- almost like muting a trumpet or trombone. Different harmonic frequencies are enhanced and sustain. "Colors" the tone if you will. Has its role in voicing options for your tele- also makes you play differently. More to explore!

7. buckwalder

buckwalder Tele-Meister

No kidding, I thought I just had an over active imagination.

8. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

i bought a set of these pickups dirt cheap on ebay just to use for setting up guitars they sound as good as any high end pickups i have used
    maybe i am just easily pleased

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.