1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We welcome your order - then we'll ignore you!

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by Daddy Dom, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

My Esquire build has ground to a halt twice now over hardware. Twice I have mailed US suppliers, checking they are supplying 'at this time' and happy to ship to NZ, knowing fully what is going on in the world.
    They both reply 'yes, business as usual!' 24 hours later. So I send in my requirements and hear nothing else.
    Is it just me?
    Anyone else?

2. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Getting stuff out of China's a nightmare. ;)

Daddy Dom likes this.
  3. seabubbles

seabubbles NEW MEMBER! Gold Supporter

Daddy Dom likes this.
  4. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

I'm looking for one of the most simple things imaginable - aged Fender hardware. Made nowhere near China.

5. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

My cheap quarrentine project now has estimated delivery of June 20th. I ordered it in January.

Shipping from China is severely delayed.

6. SixStringSlinger

SixStringSlinger Friend of Leo's

Shipping is delayed most places, international shipping perhaps more so, and most places that are open and working are doing so with much fewer people on hand than normal. So can they take and fulfill your order? Absolutely. But the actual work that happens after you check out will take longer than normal.

"Open for business" does not mean "immune to worldwide circumstances".

nojazzhere, DougM and Obsessed like this.
  7. old wrench

old wrench Friend of Leo's

It's just part of the new reality :).

Everybody (almost ;)) is trying to change and adapt to a situation that's going to be with us for awhile.

Most companies, if they are still open at all, are operating with reduced crews.

I placed an order with StewMac last Sunday. Normally, since they ship fast and we are in the same state, Ohio, it would arrive on Tuesday.
    But SM is running just a real small crew right now, so the order didn't get filled until yesterday (Thursday) and it arrived today, Friday. Not a big deal, really.

But in your case, being on the other side of the world, everything gets compounded and delayed, at every juncture.

It's going to be with us until we adapt and get it worked out.

I deal mostly with Philadelphia Lutherie Supply and some with StewMac.

Philly Luthier is still shipping very fast like they always have :).

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Unionjack515

Unionjack515 Tele-Afflicted

The shipping/manufacturing problem with many (guitar/music-related) businesses in the US is that they’re considered non-essential. Which means in many states, they’ve been ordered to close or work from home. Very likely that these business can continue to keep taking orders, as it’s done electronically and can be monitored by a key-person or key people working from home. What they can’t do is go to their warehouse and ship the item to you from their inventory or manufacture it and ship it to you. This is the issue with Warmoth and Guitar Mill right now and I’m sure it applies to many many other manufacturers in the US. Out of their control. People here in the states have to wait for our orders too.

nojazzhere, Obsessed and tubegeek like this.
  9. tubegeek

tubegeek Friend of Leo's

Amazon is openly stating that they are prioritizing certain categories of foods over others. I suppose instrument hardware is one of the low-priority categories.

As I expected, some parts I ordered arrived today - earlier than forecast but still delayed. They aren't actually moving things quite as slowly as they say they are, just lowering expectations.

10. Greenmachine

Greenmachine Tele-Holic

Stewmac did me great. I'm in Canada.

Daddy Dom likes this.
  11. Retrobob

Retrobob Tele-Meister

I'm waiting for parts from out of the country.
    It will be a while.

12. televillian

televillian Tele-Afflicted

you should have told them it`s important

nojazzhere and Mouth like this.
  13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Under current conditions, instant gratification will need to be set aside. Sorry for your inconvenience, but something very big is going on.

14. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Some well known US guitar related, and other musical instrument related companies have switched to producing masks, face shields, and other useful items, and I applaud them for it. One high end turntable maker is making hand sanitizer, because the chemicals they had for their business were easy to convert to that purpose. It's no different than guitar companies making parts for the military in WWII. When neccessary, we should all come together for the common good of the nation.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  15. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

Heck, my new iPad was ordered on the 11th, and I was given a delivery window of the 17th-21st. No updates whatsoever have come in at all since. When I call and ask for information on what's going on, they read the no updates page to me. I chuckle and hang up. It'll get here "whenever," and that's really what they're saying. Apple makes a good product, but without question they are one of the most arrogant companies on earth, with truly bottom rung service.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    zippofan and DougM like this.
  16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

A local distillery of high end spirits around here switched to sanitizer, and American Giant, whose shirts and hoodies are top notch, are also making masks. It's great seeing companies pitch in.

DougM and nojazzhere like this.
  17. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I order 2 hats with masks from Amazon. I was told one would get here on the 26 of April and the other would come on a May 6th. They both showed up yesterday? I ordered a guitar from my guy at MF and was told it would ship last Friday. After a few days went by and no shipping reported I was emailed that the state of Missouri shut down the whse.and they didn’t know when it would ship. So much for my quarantine guitar.

Daddy Dom and nojazzhere like this.
  18. Daddy Dom

Daddy Dom TDPRI Member

Thanks for the replies, but many of you have missed the point completely. I haven't even been able to get that far to place an order. ;) I don't care how long it takes to arrive and no, it's not vitally important. I'm a verry patient man. :)

If they can reply almost immediately - and very encouragingly - on first base, I think it's reasonable to expect they can reply within a week to second base when I have more specific enquiries about parts their website says are in stock. No need to manufacture anything. No masks or sick kids harmed in this build.

I deal with small-town individual retailers by choice, I will never use Amazon. I actually thought that by ordering during "this" instead of waiting I would be helping keep these businesses going, not hinder them.

My point is, if they had said please wait, I would have. They did not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.