We need to talk about Haim...

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by EddieLocrian, Mar 21, 2014.

1. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

Hi,

In America there is a newish band call 'Haim'.

Now years ago I was not bad at predicting who would be big and who wouldn't (it's the A&R man in all of us). Well, if I am not mistaken, I am thinking that Haim could go on to be a big band, and are certainly doing you proud in the US!!

But, I am amazed from speaking to my kids and friends etc how polarized people are about them:

On one hand you have a breath of fresh air that sounds a bit like Kate Bush singing to Michael Jacksonesque backing songs (both quality when you think about it) - and my son (drummer in Cardboard City) agrees.
    But my daughter (classically trained muso) just cant stand them (and cant give a reason why), and neither can my friend Tom (Tuba in Brass band & Bass player in Ska band)?

On their web-site people comment they are like 'Fleetwood' - I don't get that? Anyhow here in the UK, Haim seem to be creating a stir and their gigs are sold out.

So how about you - are you in or out with the new young Americans??

Ok - Eddie.

2. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

I like them.....

3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Kate Bush is polarizing. I find her totally pretentious. Can't switch the radio off fast enough.

Never heard of Haim.

4. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Big fan myself I have liked them for ages have promoted them on loads of forums that I visit but get the feeling that most people don't get them ??

5. twangking

twangking Tele-Afflicted

I can't stand them. The vocals are horrendous.

6. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

And there they are.... This is why I never ask for an opinion of an artist in here.

7. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

I was first introduced to Haim via this vid .. I liked it. Was surprised how different their studio stuff is compared to this

8. shovelrider

shovelrider Tele-Afflicted

Never heard of them.

9. EddieLocrian

^this.

The thing is they are doing a new thing and they play the instruments themselves (was not a big ask 30 yrs ago but is now with hiphop dominance etc).

Anyway, what I like is they are like a 'real' band from yesteryear and they are switching me on to a music type that I have never been into before, so that's a good thing on both counts.

Funny most positive posts are from UK, a number of unknown posts from US and they are American?

10. mally

mally Tele-Holic

Here

11. StuR

StuR Banned

Seen all the hype, they don't do much for me but I wouldn't switch them off if they came on TV. Most of the talk I hear/see about them is re the bassist looking like she's bringing up a fur-ball.

12. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

A thread guaranteed to once again point out that a lot of musicians really don't like much music, definitely don't know what's going on and don't really follow it. It'd be like guys who are really into sports not knowing any of the players. "I don't know any of these new guys, but I really like Dr. J".

A lot of people who's music I like really like Haim. I haven't been blown away by them, but I enjoyed them on Saturday Night Live and a few of the other late night shows they've appeared on. To me, it was more liek Wilson Phillips with heavy guitars (and that's not a slam: string pop songs with good vocal harmonies and a bit of musical muscle) They kind of caught some flack for extreme bass face, but that seems awfully shallow to me. Girl makes faces when she gets into playing bass, what's so notable about that? She plays well, that's the important thing to me.

13. lewis

lewis Poster Extraordinaire

They aren't shoegazers. I like 'em.

14. EddieLocrian

Check this out, from Saturday Night Live:

15. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

and then there are also a bunch of threads showing the exact opposite.

I dont like Haim. I do admire that they play everything themselves, props to them for that.

16. LookerBob

LookerBob TDPRI Member

WTF is going on with the bass player's facial expressions? Is she in the middle of an arm wrestling competition?

Chalk me up for not getting the appeal. They seem to be on the low end of mediocre as musicians/singers, and the songwriting isn't there.

I suspect a lot of it has to do with the novelty of pop music with girls playing instruments, and the lead singer's looks... and I wish that wasn't a thing I was saying.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

This is the first I've heard of them. They have nice hair. Except the drummer, but no one is looking at him. If they were playing at our local annual free festival I'd listen to them. I don't find anything objectional about them. Decent young pop-rock band. I'm not their demographic.

I give them props for even knowing a Peter Green song, let alone playing one.

18. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

It appears that they love to play. I like their energy when they play!

Is the bass player Joe Walsh's daughter??? She makes crazy faces when she plays just like Joe!

19. Headless Axeman

Headless Axeman Tele-Meister

I like them casually. Saw them at Firefly Festival last summer and they had the audience captivated.

Mainly came on to say, though, that it kinda sucks that a primary theme of the thread is the faces being made by the bass player. How many people objected to the stupid faces being made by our umpteen hundred favorite hard rock/metal bands? I know it's just a fact of life for a female-fronted band, but it's BS. They rock out live, but the main takeaway is their looks...

And in my experience, they are not at all poppy and anything but Wilson Phillips. At least not live.

20. Badabing

Badabing Friend of Leo's

I have no prob with the faces but it's hard to talk about the band without bringing that up. I bet she doesn't make those faces when she is practicing so if that is part of her Shtick than more power to her but people are going to talk about it.
    that's all.

I think it does add personality to a musician/band.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.