1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We just cut the cord on cable

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Dec 31, 2020.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

We got rid of Direct TV almost a year ago, replaced it with Roku and subscribed to hulu + HBO. We'd already subscribed to Netflix. Our bills are half that of Direct TV, and we haven't missed it at all.

DeepDangler and TheGoodTexan like this.
  2. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm going to do that in January. I don't even watch TV anymore, I stream more than anything. Once we figure out how to watch sports, buh bye cable.

already paying for netflix and hulu, going to cancel one of those as well. probably hulu.

I want to watch The Stand on CBS. I'll wait until all the episodes are out, sign up for a free trial, binge it and cancel.

3. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Afflicted

Haven't had cable in ages. Before that, I received it for free in my condo because of a wiring error out in the alley box. Lasted for 7 years before going dark.

Tons of stuff over the air in Chicago. We have Roku and just about any mivie can be streamed from the public library.

At most, I only look at TV a couple of hours per month.

4. Wallaby

Wallaby Friend of Leo's

It sounds like the guitar budget just increased $1,104 annually :D

DeepDangler, TheGoodTexan and jvin248 like this.
  5. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Pluto TV on Roku. Check it out. It’s free

6. LetItGrowTone

LetItGrowTone Tele-Meister

We use an economy internet service provider and Netflix. $47/month total.

7. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

YouTube TV is the best alternative I have found for live sports and local channels. But they just raised their cost so their up to $60 or $70 a month....

Danb541 and Toto'sDad like this.
  8. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I will dump Comcast when our promo rate is up. But I fear we will not be able to save much money. We will still need to pay for high-speed internet and landline phone (cell service is bad here). For TV we stream almost entirely, but I will still need to get local channels (for news, etc) and live sports (ie, ESPN, etc). So one way or another I will end up paying for those. But I am determined to get rid of Comcast eventually.

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Here's my journey:
    Direct TV - they doubled my rate and wouldn't
    negotiate. Bye-bye!
    Next, YoutubeTV - I signed up right before their
    huge recent price increase. Bye-bye!
    Next, switched to HuluLive right before their
    huge price increase. Bye-bye!
    Next, Swing is priced better but they have dookie
    for programming.
    I do like Premier League soccer.
    Sling will be history in a week.
    They just don't have anything worth watching.
    Had Netflix but I canceled after I watched
    anything I could find that was of interest.
    Still have Prime. I use Amazon a LOT.
    Rabbit ears. Have a set that pick up a couple
    shopping channels...
    I just picked up HBO. They have a lot of good shows that will keep me busy for a while.
    Of the live tv sources, YoutubeTV seems 'slightly'
    better that the others.

Mark

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
  10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Tubi is another free service through Roku. It has a feature that Pluto doesn't (at least in this area) you can move what you're watching backward and forward kind of like you were watching it on DVR. Very few commercial interruptions on the movies I've watched. I don't watch a lot of movies on any of the services because it seems the audiences everywhere are infatuated with the bloodiest movies they can watch, and I've seen enough of that in real life to do me from here on out.

DeepDangler and Geo like this.
  11. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

We don't watch cable anymore. I want to echo what @Engine Swap said and encourage people to use their local library for media. We now have a ROKU, but in addition to that, we get a ton of movies and series from the library. We just get the DVDs, but I think we can stream some things as well.

Remember, libraries are one of the last places where you can get cool things to use that are absolutely free. Sadly, many libraries are suffering and dying a slow death these days from lack of funding and lack of use. I am a power user of our library. Its only a block away from our house so I am there at least once per week, if not more. I used to apologize for checking out so many materials (books, DVDs and CDs), but the librarians told me that their funding from the state or county is dependent on their volume, so by actively using the library you are actually helping them to prosper.

One more thing about libraries. You might live near a small library that doesn't have much in terms of selection. That describes our library. But all of the libraries in our county are linked, so when I search online I get the contents of the dozens of libraries in the system. They ship the stuff right to my local library and it is seamless. And, for even more esoteric stuff that might not exist in the library system, speak with a librarian. Libraries can order stuff from just about any lending library in the country through the Interlibrary Loan program.

12. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Even though I said I wasn't going to, I ended up watching a lot of football, and there were a surprising number of good games. That and the Home and Garden channel is the main reason we keep YouTubeTV. They've also added the NFL channel. That and I can watch golf twenty four sevens if I want to.

13. Richie Cunningham

Richie Cunningham Tele-Afflicted

My cable bill is roughly twelve million dollars per month. I have over 230 trillion channels, yet my cable company insists that it’s the most basic TV package and I’d have nowhere to go if I were to downgrade. They told me the same thing about the Internet, and they also used the line about the expired promotional pricing.

14. speedingjet

speedingjet Tele-Meister

More than ten years since the cable was cut. I can entertain myself without that uh, effluent. We can all entertain ourselves without that pablum.
    It just seemed that every channel had gone from learning or history to some stone-dumb scripted "reality" TV with absurdist repetition.
    24 hour "choose your mania" news channels have not been missed either.

There's so much more out there now at our fingertips. I'm surprised anybody has cable. But people surprise me all the time.

Congratulations!

Hey_you and TheGoodTexan like this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

It is getting ridiculous. I have one internet provider available, they force me to have a home phone i leave unplugged. It's about $109 a month now for internet!
    I've been streaming some and on the Amazon Fire works great for that.
    Dishnet is ripping me off for basic service, but the Ms wants certain things.

Netflix and Amazon Prime for streaming are pretty good. I just tried Hulu for a month and it's terrible. I was hoping to talk the Ms into turning off Dishnet. Hulu constantly downloading slow or asking me to sign in again. Cancelled that.
    I may try Sling some time but ......

DeepDangler likes this.
  16. corbo

corbo TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

We did it a couple of months ago and cut our bill in HALF.

17. Denton

Denton Tele-Meister

Cool thing about Pluto is they have a music concert channel (usually rock) as well as a VEVO 70’s channel that streams 70’s music videos, which is 99% live show stuff.

DeepDangler and CV Jee Beez like this.
  18. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

If you have Netflix and you have only one television OR only one person watching Netflix at a time, then you can cut your Netflix subscription in half. Their basic subscription provides for two simultaneous devices/different shows running at the same time.

We got our second Roku box for a second television in the house... Mostly because a new puppy chewed up the remote on the old one, the inexpensive replacement (non-wifi/bluetooth version) had too short of range (like 3ft), and the replacement 'good' remote is half the cost of a whole new Roku. So I just ordered a second Roku box and the old one got moved to the other television.

We tried Disney+ for half of last year but content just wasn't being added.... instead all the content was on Hulu which Disney owns, which we subscribed to when they did a promo for $2/month. When Disney+ did add new content they dropped it one show a week, not the Netflix binge model, or did the Mulan thing with an extra $30 fee.

Peacock channel has quite a lot of content ... free for signup. They have a paid premium option.

Roku has their own channel of rotating content that is free with ads.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  19. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Never did cable. The lie that it became (COMMERCIAL FREE!!!) was a deterrent also. We used regular tv mostly for the kids, Sesame Street, cartoons, whatever, until the signal went down in 09 (kids gone by then).

I took to DVDs and such until I discovered pirate sites on the internet. Bought a tv for a monitor and have been streaming ever since. . One of my daughters gave me access to her Netflix and Amazon accounts and there's still pirate sites. Really commercial free.

Love it (really HATE commercials!)

DeepDangler likes this.
  20. Lies&Distortion

Lies&Distortion Tele-Afflicted

I went with an antenna for about the last 12 years, didn't miss it.

Just reconnected, needed better internet for work. I'll scale it back one day. Too exhausted to shop for options right now.

CV Jee Beez likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.