We have now joined the big-ass pickup fraternity.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by John Backlund, May 24, 2020.

1. John Backlund

John Backlund Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

We drove to northwest Iowa on Friday to visit, and help my wife's mother sort through decades of junk in the house and outbuildings after the passing of her father on the 15th.

My mother in law doesn't drive much anymore, and has no use for the 2013 Ford F-150 that my wife's father had, and she offered it to us for a pretty good deal, so we bought it, and will be driving it, along with our Murano, 450 miles back to the Black Hills tomorrow.

The Ford only has 27,000 miles on it, and the original window sticker, still in the glove box, shows that it originally cost a bit over $41,000 when he bought it.

I spent a couple hours on it yesterday, bringing it's chrome back to a very nice shine with 0000 steel wool pads, which worked wonders on it. A stint at the car wash in town didn't hurt it either. They never abused the truck, but at their age, they didn't crawl around cosmetically detailing it either. Once cleaned up, however, it is a very good-looking vehicle.
    IMG_20200524_100934755_HDR.jpg

IMG_20200524_100908212_HDR.jpg

We never really wanted a truck of this size, though, and deliberately avoided them when looking for a utility vehicle, which wasn't often, as we've had our smaller Nissan Frontier since buying it new back in 2001. It has served us very well, and it's relatively compact size was also a plus, especially when squeezing it, the Murano, and six motorcycles into a slightly oversized double garage.

On the plus side, it has a 5.0 liter V-8, and a LOT more power than our V-6 Nissan, which is an absolute dog for power and acceleration, and although as reliable and durable as a granite boulder, it also returns some pretty lousy fuel mileage, barely making 20 mpg, at best. The Ford will at least equal the smaller Nissan in this regard, in spite of it's size and larger, substantially larger engine.

I know....first world problem, eh?

The Ford is, of course, loaded with a dizzying array of features and creature comforts.....some even useful.

So there it is. All I need now is a ski boat, a couple snowmobiles, a black Harley Street Glide, and a fat stogey sticking out of my kisser and I'll be truly 'livin the dream'. I guess.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  2. stormsedge

stormsedge Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Very nice. I love my pickup (F250)...really the only thing that I can sit in comfortably for very long.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    John Backlund likes this.
  3. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

Very nice. I have been thinking of getting rid of my old Bronco and getting a newer 150. That one looks totally usable for lots of stuff.

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

This was what I was thinking after reading the title, but trucks are fine as well :)

BA731E19-9706-4345-82E8-4D751BF210C1.jpeg DECF0F41-3779-40C0-8578-73A68DEBAED2.jpeg

5. geoff_in_nc

geoff_in_nc Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Nice truck!

6. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    You will appreciate it even more the next time you need to tow a trailer. I loved my F150. I love my Tacoma too, but it doesn’t have the torque that my F150 had.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Ah.

But now, the Murano has to go.

But I admit it. I really could use a tow vehicle. I've been whistling in the dark, driving 7 cars, none of which is supposed to be used to tow anything except one of the little convertibles. If I had the option of picking up something like this low mileage full sized pickup, I might have to spring for it.

8. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Congrats! Having a pickup truck is very useful, even if it's a no-frills small pickup like my 96 B2300 I bought one year old. Good to have something to haul lumber, trash, etc.
    When the big pickup market went down the road of being luxury vehicles, they priced me out of the market, but with low miles on a good deal, heck yeah.

haggardfan1 and John Backlund like this.
  9. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Neither has the torque of a Cybertruck. :twisted:

10. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Cybertruck?

11. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Tesla electric truck. Dragged an F-150 like a rag doll due to said torque. Ugly as sin though - looks like a Mad Max reject.

drmordo likes this.
  12. John Backlund

I don't pull anything with our trucks except the rare use of a U-haul motorcycle trailer. This F-150 is complete overkill for us as far as what we use our vehicles for. It has more power and torque, in spades, than I'll ever need.

We only bought it to help out our recently widowed mother in law, and she offered it to us for a very good price. We would never have purchased this large of a pickup otherwise.

13. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Tele-Meister

Well, better than the Goldwing/second wide route...

14. John Backlund

Totally irrelevant to our vehicle needs, and certainly costs a hell of a lot more than the 20g's we're putting into the Ford.

TheGoodTexan likes this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Pretty sure I could park my car in the cab of that truck, and leave room left for you to sit next to it and drive.

loco gringo likes this.
  16. John Backlund

The Murano stays, but if it was up to me, I'd have a smaller car. I like small cars.

17. John Backlund

The Miata convertible I sold a year ago might fit in there. I miss that little bugger.

Jakedog and GuitLoop like this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

That is a fine looking hot rod truck John .

19. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nice F150 great trucks

20. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Nice truck. Would never consider an F150 a “big ass truck” though. Congrats on the deal. Sorry about your wife’s dad.

jh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.