1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We Could Be Heroes...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by elihu, Mar 1, 2021.

1. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

It's a mean old world we live in sometimes. And it seems that, like my grandma used to say "The bad news takes the super highway and the good news takes the dirt road." But I like to believe that there's still good things happening and good people making them happen. Today I read about a young woman and her struggle with bone cancer when she was ten years old. She noticed a pain in her left leg one spring right after completing the requirements for a black belt in Taekwondo with her Dad. So they thought nothing of it until summer and shorts when a knot as big as an egg was clearly visible above her left knee. The diagnosis was osteosarcoma and that's how she ended up at St. Jude Hospital in Memphis Tennessee. To allow for Hayley’s continued growth through childhood, while at the same time eliminating the need for multiple surgeries, the surgeon implanted what was then a new type of temporary prosthesis that doctors could expand remotely. What followed was months of painful therapy but she pushed through in order to walk without crutches.

Then, as a young 20 something Hayley decided to work at the same hospital which saved her life. She studied hard and became a Physician Assistant while learning to speak Spanish. She works with leukemia and lymphoma patients and thinks she has the best job in the world.

Then recently she received an email from Jared Isaacman, a 38-year-old billionaire who asked her if she wanted to be a part of the SpaceX fundraising mission planned later this year. And just like that, Hayley figuratively climbed aboard for a historic mission called Inspiration4. She’ll be part of the world’s first all-civilian space crew as it blasts into orbit later this year on an endeavor to raise money — an astronomical sum, in the truest sense — and awareness for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, the place that saved her from pediatric cancer and where she later found her dream job as a physician assistant.

Pretty cool...and note the NASA shirt!

2. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

Of course, there are lots of good things everybody can do each day. It may not be huge, maybe just helping some elderly person to carry their bags to their apartment on the stairs or sth.
    We can all be heroes if we try.

stinkey, elihu and Obsessed like this.
  3. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Tele-friend and Torren61 like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

5. Torren61

6. Torren61

electrichead likes this.
  7. Torren61

8. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Holic

The coolest human being to ever walk the earth, in my opinion. I felt genuinely bereft when he died. Like I lost a close family member.

9. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Good news doesn't bring big cable ratings or sell newspapers, but mayhem, murder, and disaster does. As with everything in our great country, it's all about the Benjamins.

10. Tele-friend

Tele-friend Tele-Meister

11. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

"The bad news takes the super highway and the good news takes the dirt road." - well, i mean, the world is a rough and cruel place, nature is no picnic. our brains are wired in such a way so that negative experiences imprint themselves more easily, out of self preservation. we generally make more decisions calculated around minimizing loss or danger than anything positive. that’s mostly just a factor of being an animal rather than any claim about society. but not to sound like a total pessimist - good news wouldn't have any meaning if not for the backdrop of the bad.

breadfreak, Flakey and buster poser like this.
  12. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

You must be loads of fun at parties!

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

what do you mean? your response about media and money was a lot more cynical. i was just trying to be fair. and OP’s story resonates more precisely because lemons were turned into lemonade.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    tattypicker likes this.
  14. tattypicker

tattypicker Tele-Meister

That's fair. Understanding why bad news is more resonant is a good path to optimism.

breadfreak and loopfinding like this.
  15. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

@elihu what a lovely story and we should all try to be a heroes in some way, for someone, everyday.

That's not religion- it's being a human. Brought tears to my eyes. Thank you.

nojazzhere, elihu and brookdalebill like this.
  16. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

To the original point, (good news and bad news) I stopped watching television around nine years ago.

Spent a few years getting my news from strictly internet resources, and from the radio during my morning and evening commute.

Then, mid-year, I signed off Facebook and closed my account.

Late last year, I stopped checking the news sites on the computer altogether, and stopped listening to the news broadcasts on the car radio, coming and going. Stopped listening to talk-radio completely.

I'm literally on a news blackout now, and I'm kind of liking it.
    I have no idea what's going on anywhere in the world, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure that was my situation when I was paying attention to the news resources.
    So egregious was the media dishonesty.

Bottom line is, I don't like being lied to.
    I don't care to be fed misinformation and disinformation, and being told what to buy, how to feel, and what I should be offended by this week.

I got tired of being angry and pissed off all the time, and so I put an end to the non-stop stream of insulting falsehoods and pandering propaganda & hyperbole coming at me thru the radio and the computer.

Life really is much better now.
    I'm a happier person.

And if something really important happens, either domestically or internationally, it'll come to my door. Or some friend at work will tell me about it. Sometimes I listen with interest, and sometimes I'll shut them off and walk away.

Guitar web forums are okay in my book, because current events aren't generally discussed, and political bantering is not allowed.

I count my blessings these days that I'm alive and my family is well.
    I cherish my good friends, my work, and my community.
    I make music. I write.
    I work in the garden, and I work on my land.

I don't spin my wheels anymore with what's going on in Hollywood, Washington DC, New York, London, Berlin, Tehran, or Beijing.

It's just not worth it.

o_O

carpenter, MarkieMark, dented and 4 others like this.
  17. elihu

Hey Sparky...love your posts but my intended point was there’s still good things happening due to the good people making them happen.

I just like to credit grandma now and then.

Sparky2 and nojazzhere like this.
  18. clayville

clayville Tele-Meister

I wonder if they could find a way to raise the money without Hayley having to risk her life.

Jerry_Mountains likes this.
  19. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I definitely understand your sentiment, but (for me) just ignoring real life doesn't make it go away. I want to know what's going on in the world....good and bad. I would even welcome some civilized discussions of current events here, although some people can't or won't keep it civil. I applaud your efforts to appreciate your blessings and a "simple life". I believe I do that in my life, even while being cognizant of the chaos around me. Hearing stories like Hayley's makes my day! ;););)

20. elihu

She WANTS to go...badly! She’s been crazy about the space program since childhood (note the NASA shirt in the vid). And her siblings are both aerospace engineers. She’ll be the medical officer during the flight. And she wants to be an inspiration to the kids she cares for-much like others were an inspiration to her.

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.