1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We ain't afraid of no ghost. Are you sure?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

The human brain has great imagination.

2. 61fury

61fury Friend of Leo's

It's in a mind of its own.

Lake Placid Blue and Obsessed like this.
  3. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Life in some ways was easier when I drank. When someone asked me what I believed, I answered, I believe I'll have another drink.

4. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

I missed a woo thread??

Dammit!

rangercaster likes this.
  5. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Don't worry, there'll be another one along shortly :)

rangercaster likes this.
  6. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

Perhaps you should read my post...I asked about things not in the visible spectrum of light (cannot be seen by the human eye)

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

It can still be!

carpenter likes this.
  8. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

Ghosts believe in me .

9. notmyusualuserid

Ghosts obviously are in the visible spectrum. Otherwise no-one would see them...

papa32203 and xtelesquirex like this.
  10. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I absolutely believe there is a spiritual realm right where we are. These things that people are referring to as "ghosts" are actually demons (angels that have been corrupted). They exist invisible to us, on a different wavelength so to speak, but can manifest themselves as apparent physical entities if they wish. They can physically move things. I don't know how this happens, I just know that it does. I also know that they can enter a person and take them over, manipulating their thoughts, feelings, and behavior. It's freaky when that happens, and I've witnessed behavior/abilities for which there is no natural explanation.

I know that saying this will open me up to ridicule, but that's fine, I wouldn't have said it if I weren't 100% certain about it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2020
  11. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I do agree, but not all humans have a functional brain ...

I did, at one time...

50 years ago ...

Obsessed and soulgeezer like this.
  12. Patton

Patton Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

Nobody will believe 100% what one of us says here. That’s cool. Discussion is cool. Believing in what others think is fantasy is cool. Not believing that fantasy is cool too.

What I can’t figure out is what the hell one of our dogs keeps staring at up in the high corner of the living room from time to time. ( I choose to believe she’s imagining a different paint scheme).

There you go, I’m not that concerned so I don’t notice “things”.

Hey_you likes this.
  13. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

One cannot see a broadcast television signal or hear radio waves without a receiver but they are real .

Gevalt likes this.
  14. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

I did read your post.

Peegoo mentioned "blurry imagery of aliens, flying saucers and bigfoots (bigfeet?)." IOW, things you should be able to see and THEREFORE, photograph clearly.
    You then made a non-sequitur jump to "what I hear you saying is that EVERYTHING that exists is within the visible spectrum of light, and is capable of being photographed."

Peegoo, rightly, told you that was not what he said.

I just then confirmed that if you can see it with the naked eye, it can probably be photographed.

And BTW, you didn't "ask" Peegoo anything. You STATED "what I hear you saying is that EVERYTHING that exists is within the visible spectrum of light, and is capable of being photographed." Not a question. A weird presumption, but not a question.

Listening to the debate in the background has me in an arguing mood, I guess.

notmyusualuserid likes this.
  15. notmyusualuserid

So you'll agree that there are physical manifestations of both? Ditto electricity.

TVs, radios and electricity are ubiquitous, why aren't physical manifestations of spirits of the dead (or whatever you want to call a ghost) as frequent?

That's the problem when you apply syllogisms to woo, it begins to become a logical fallacy :)

tery likes this.
  16. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

You have watched a cat stare intently, and follow nothing. Right? Eerie.

17. Thin white duke

Thin white duke Friend of Leo's

I wish i had a ghost as a friend....

tery likes this.
  18. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I am in no way ridiculing you or others who believe this. I merely want to point out that "argument from personal experience" doesn't carry any weight. It is not a convincing argument in any way. My personal experiences do not lead me to believe in a "spirit realm". And there we have it.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2020
    notmyusualuserid likes this.
  19. cat dude

cat dude Tele-Meister

Too funny!:eek::lol::eek::lol::eek::lol::eek::lol::eek:

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well we also have both "I believe in tonewood" threads and "I don't believe in tonewood" threads.

There is basically no functional difference between tonewood discussions and woo or religion discussions.

Of course if you post a pic of a piece of toast claiming Hay Zeus is there on the toast, we can all share and judge the experience.

But if I say I hear a difference between alder and ash, then post a video that half say they hear a difference, a quarter say the difference is too small to matter, and a quarter say there is no difference at all, we're basically discussing woo.

Except that science requires woo to follow instructions AKA be repeatable in a lab.
    Wood does not follow instructions, so alder can sometimes but not always sound different from ash.

As far as non believers not starting threads about experiences they have never had?
    When what you call believers starting threads about experiences they DID HAVE?

I think I've seen numerous threads started by 'non believers" for the purpose of ridiculing "believers".

We also get threads where somebody asks if putting el34s in a BF Fender will make it sound like a Marshall.
    Then some say yes, some say no, and the fighting begins.

I can say you can't say I didn't have an experience because you were not there when I had the experience, so you have no way to know if I did or did not see or hear woo.
    But if I say my Fender sounded like a Marshall when I put el34s in it you could tell me I'm wrong based on your experience doing the same thing.

Where tonewood is not as scientifically consistent as vacuum tubes in amplifier circuits.

Now, if we know that science sometimes presents clear measurable evidence, yet other times (like wood species) presents unclear or inconsistent evidence that we cannot really establish solid proof of one idea or the other, then we know that science is not fully in control WRT consistently measuring and proving the existence of esoteric stuff we may or may not experience.

As science figured out fairly recently, the scientist is actually a contributor to the reality it attempts to isolate from human frailty of perception.

The other thing and maybe the most clear thing we get from this kindof thread, is that people tend to fall into two categories.

Some are open to a range of possibilities.

Others are 100% convinced that they know all there is to know and can immediately disprove any claim that does not match their data.
    That response is classic confirmation bias. Notably, the second kind of person is non scientific and poorly suited to science.

Even a scientist who studies woo stuff like Navy video and radar footage of tic tacs will say "we have not established any clear understanding' rather than "the evidence is pure woo and those military personnel are idiots".

Hey_you likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.