1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

We ain't afraid of no ghost. Are you sure?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hey_you, Sep 27, 2020.

1. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

That's fantastic, but have you noticed that the non-believers don't keep on starting "I don't believe in ghosts" threads? Then when we chime in to these threads we get sarky comments?

I wonder why religion is banned here, but spooks aren't. Both require equal amounts of faith in the invisible.

2. MrCairo46

MrCairo46 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’ll believe in ghosts, departed spirits of those who once walked earth with us, but draw the line at ghost clothes. I refuse to accept that the spirits clothing somehow attained the ability to become supernatural.
    Therefore naked it’s ghosts for me and Anna Nicole Smith’s ghost can visit me anytime.

gregulator450 and Peegoo like this.
  3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

I never discredit or ridicule another person's beliefs; we are all free to believe what we like.

My own opinion on this matter (YMMV) comes from me being ultra practical about most things. I have seen things that I'm certain some folks might attribute to being a ghost (a person crossing a room, a person disappearing into a wall, etc.), but never in my direct center line of vision, and never when I'm 100%; it's usually when I'm mentally or physically fatigued.

When I went through survival school in the AF, one of the training phases was resistance training and solitary confinement, where they locked each of us in a small low closet devoid of light for a few days, coupled with repeated interrogations. Prior to this mistreatment, the instructors told us we would probably 'see' things that were not actually there in the dark cell.

They were right, because the combination of sleep deprivation, being forced to stand, and other mental and physical stresses plays havoc with a person's perceptions. I have thought about this a lot since then, and I'm pretty sure the imagery is a product of how the brain works, sort of like the brain playing a random length of tape from memory that arbitrarily leaks into conscious thought. But it's not entirely clear and it's distorted/transparent/glowing/etc. because it's a random fragment from memory that finds its way into a person's present situation.

It's a uniquely individual experience because it comes from within, and usually when things are very quiet with very little sensory stimuli. How many reports are there of ghosts seen in a crowded supermarket, or on a packed 737 while flying to Dubuque? Additionally, reports of multiple people all seeing a ghost at the same time are rare, and often polluted, exaggerated, or hoaxed by the types of people that defend the existence of ghosts, e.g., the paranormal investigator that makes a living from it.

For me, ghosts are similar to a dream in how "real" it appears to be. I've done a lot of reading on this stuff and have taken a few psychology courses, and I think dreams are the result of the brain defragmenting data and rearranging it in memory while the rest of the body is switched off. I mention this dream connection to the ghost thing because it has always struck me as odd that ghosts and aliens almost always appear as humanoid (sometimes animals), but pretty much always something familiar in appearance to things we all experience every day. Things from memory.

That is why I believe ghosts exist only in my own brain. A person's perceptions are their own individual reality--just like how some people can read all caps and it's not a problem, while others will reply with "why are you yelling at me?" Nobody's yelling anything. But some people hear it.

JL_LI, rangercaster, SuprHtr and 7 others like this.
  4. spurgie79

spurgie79 Tele-Afflicted

I love stories of the supernatural as long as they're not too far out of the realm of possibility. I'm not into debunking, I believe that you believe what you saw and I want to hear about it. Bigfeets too! Lay 'em me. It probably won't change my opinion on the matter but it's still a heck of a lot of fun.

5. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

You're welcome to post in any of MY threads at any time. Your opinion has value. No snark, just gentle ribbing like I would give anyone. That was a caveat, lol.

6. Buckaroo65

Buckaroo65 Tele-Meister

Casper's nekkid.

rangercaster likes this.
  7. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

So what I hear you saying is that EVERYTHING that exists is within the visible spectrum of light, and is capable of being photographed.

Of course, its just not true...

Peegoo likes this.
  8. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

No, that is not what I'm claiming at all.

You're hearing things ;)

stevemc and rangercaster like this.
  9. Rufus

Rufus Tele-Afflicted

No, but your own words said that with EVERYONE having a camera, we can expect that clear photos are possible of EVERYTHING.

10. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

The discussion of ghosts can and is interesting. As for this piece, despite having surprisingly great bumper music Coast to Coast AM has a deserved reputation. If half of what they reported was accurate we'd be tripping over cults, UFOs, ghosts and other oddities every time we left our homes. Doesn't mean I've never tuned in to hear what bat boy was up to this week. :p

LutherBurger likes this.
  11. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Lost Phantom Boy will believe anything if you feed him enough snake oil.:cool::D

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  12. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Well said. I try to live the same way. I like to hear other people’s opinions when they don’t agree with me because I want to understand where they’re coming from. I don’t want to change them. If I changed everyone so they all thought like me this would be a boring planet. And there’d be no apple fritters left because they’d be everyone’s favorite, not just mine. We can’t have that.

spurgie79 and Torren61 like this.
  13. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

Keep talking like that and I’ll cancel my next order of snake oil from you.

14. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

That interview was useless. The guy had no clue. ""Didn't happen to me". "I don't know". "I never saw". If I was the producer, I would be choking someone out!

15. ping-ping-clicka

ping-ping-clicka Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

using scientific methodology is very a precise tool until applying an under resourced model.
    If important data is not included the process the conclusions will always be specious.
    Just because I can prove that you don't exist using my methodology. does not mean that you are not real.
    do you exist, or is my scientific method flawed,
    proving that some one is a witch only requires putting the suspected witch in water.
    if they float they are witches because witches are made out of wood and wood floats, burn the witch.

jman72 likes this.
  16. Hey_you

Hey_you Tele-Holic

Peace out. It was only a radio show.

17. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Holic

If it can be seen by the naked eye, you should be able to photograph it.

18. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Most of the places where ducking was used as a test for witchcraft tended to hang their witches, not burn them. Just an interesting historical tidbit.

ping-ping-clicka likes this.
  19. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I don’t look down on people who believe in ghosts. I just assume they don’t understand much about brain science.

Even if you poo poo the science, Occam’s razor tells us it’s far more likely for ghosts to exist in the mind rather than real life.

I still enjoy spooky movies, though!

20. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I must apologize, I thought this thread was about goats ...

My bad ...

Carry on ...

Toto'sDad likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.