We’ve given up trying to celebrate our wedding anniversary - restaurant disappointments!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PeterUK, Sep 8, 2019.

1. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

How much are you willing to pay for pot-stickers? The restaurant also has to meet price-point expectations of the customers. I just had three for $3.75 at a street-food simulation in a food-court in Boise. They were good enough for lunch. I wouldn't have ordered them if they cost $5.00, no matter how good they were.

bcorig and PeterUK like this.
  2. TeleTucson

TeleTucson Tele-Afflicted

When it really counts, you need to book somewhere where you've established a relationship with the staff, chef, or owner - then they won't let you down.

Just had our 40th this weekend and the treatment we got exceeded our expectations.

NewKid and PeterUK like this.
  3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Fact is we knew and had dined at all three restaurants in the past. Marcellinos in Berlin was perhaps one of the best restaurants we’d eaten and the one from last night’s fiasco was a place we dined in back in March and enjoyed a great meal.

FYI, this was the Boardwalk at the Dubai Creek Golf & Yacht Club, part of the Hyatt chain, so they shouldn’t have had supply chain problems.

It’s out of season here in Dubai as it’s really hot and the restaurant had maybe 10 people dining.

I can’t remember the name of the NYC restaurant but I’ve eaten there twice and we had firm reservations.

Frustrating but no-one died and we enjoyed our evening together.

35-years of marriage and we were together 7-years before that, so after 42-years we know when the evening isn’t going to plan and we make a plan B.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and good wishes.

We’re very lucky we get to travel the world and experience different cuisines - if only we could get served!

It’s got to be some sort of achievement - having an evening bomb out on the same date in three different continents!

:lol: Peter

boris bubbanov and Mad Kiwi like this.
  4. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Mandarin Noodle Cafe in Chino Hills CA makes them from scratch with the broth inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PeterUK likes this.
  5. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

We used to live next door to a really good restaurant. We usually said "surprise us".

6. Steve 78

Steve 78 Friend of Leo's

For my 1st anniversary we booked a holiday to New Zealand. The night before we were due to go I got food poisoning and spent the night in hospital. We pushed back our plane tickets a day but I was still pretty seedy. On our actual anniversary day I spent the day on the toilet while my wife went on a romantic horse ride :lol::lol:.

Last year (my 10th), we had a day/night in the city (Melbourne) while my parents minded the kids. It rained but it was great. Lunch at the Veggie Bar, incredible food. For dinner we talked about going out but decided just to get room service. Amazing views from the 50th+ floor. Food was good.

drlucky and PeterUK like this.
  7. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Friend of Leo's

PeterUK likes this.
  8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

The OP’s post seems to complain about restaurants in the busy or tourism centered parts of cities. My wife and I are well traveled and we NEVER experience anything like that. We try to choose hotels near residential parts of cities and eat where the locals eat. Restaurants there don’t rely on tourists. They rely on the folks living there to come back again and again. The food tends to be very good to excellent and the prices are within reason. Less English is spoken but we’ve never not been able to order and enjoy a meal. We’ve also had some very interesting experiences, like in Paris, where our menu French was limited to words like boeuf (beef) and veau (veal). My wife got something delicious that looked like stroganoff. I got something that looked like it came out of the back end of a horse, kidney. A kindky gentleman at the next table obviously a regular, fixed my mistake. Honestly, my wife and I have had only good experiences, and more than a few very interesting ones, dining in distant lands.

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not to mention side salads you get with a meal now days. Obviously stored in a fridge and put into the bowl in the morning by the hundreds.

10. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

As I was saying to the Queen, just the other day it was, I simply can't abide a name dropper.

11. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

we always went to Jimm's on 3 a some what upper level restaraunt in Richmond for our anniversary ( I loved the boulebase) any way the last year we went there was a new maitre de at the door and with his nose stuck in the air made the mistake as asking , "Did you have a reservation?" to which I quipped "Yes , I had reservations about comming here", then they allowed a table of 10 light up "dog rockets" ( cigars) after dinner and spoiled the moment.
    we never went back

PeterUK likes this.
  12. howardlo

howardlo Tele-Holic

Could be like my wife and I. We normally both forget our anniversary until a week or two after, then one of us will say, "Gee, we missed it again, oh, well". Somehow we did manage to remember it one year (on our 20th). That year we played golf on it, as we probably have done many times unknowingly.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Steve 78, PeterUK and boris bubbanov like this.
  13. RottenTheCat

RottenTheCat Tele-Meister

May I humbly suggest a visit to Chalet Suzanne in Lake Wales Florida. A little more rustic but it never disappoints. Formal dining only, casual breakfast, jackets for men please at lunch.

PeterUK likes this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

If it wasn't for Money, 99% of the people on this board wouldn't care.

Oklahoma, not Arizona, what does it matter?

What does it matter?

drlucky and PeterUK like this.
  15. PeterUK

I’ll count my blessings after your food poisoning story!
    I was in Paris last week.

The company’s office on Avenue de Charles de Gaul has a great view of Paris from the rooftop terrace.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

staxman and Steve 78 like this.
  16. PeterUK

Definitely prefer Dubai to Abu Dhabi although one of the best Indian restaurants I’ve ever been to is on Yas Island opposite Ferrari World!

I’m in Qatar in November. I’ll report back on the ‘black sheep’ of the region.

17. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Sorry to hear of your disappointments!

We’ve recently had two special occasion family meals in London. Two wonderful restaurants with terrific service. Not cheap!

PM me if you’d like details.

PeterUK likes this.
  18. PeterUK

Do you know Berlin and Dubai?

I’d be interested in your recommendations.

My daughter and I found a great Ethiopian miles off the tourist zone in Dubai back in May. We were the only tourists.

I’m less familiar with NYC but having eaten at the restaurant in the past and being off the tourist track, we were expecting our reservation to be honoured.

Maybe he should have headed to Time Square. There’s an Olive Garden there!

Being told to wait for 2+ hours for your table or waiting 100-minutes for food. You wouldn’t complain?

19. PeterUK

Thanks.

When I’m not travelling the office is in London near Heathrow so we know a number of restaurants off the beaten track including The Wheatsheaf in Harlington which does a ‘cook your own steak on a sizzling rock’.

It’s off the tourist centre.

Never had to complain once.

rze99 likes this.
  20. verb boten

verb boten Tele-Holic

restaurant cancels your date due to over booking would be hard to take, i don't even understand how airlines get away with it. If that is a trend, it's unexcuseable...someone else is more important than you are, a slap in the face. :mad:

PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.