We’ve given up trying to celebrate our wedding anniversary - restaurant disappointments!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by PeterUK, Sep 8, 2019.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My wife and I agree that that we’ll celebrate our wedding anniversary at home next year with a take-out pizza or curry after three consecutive years of disappointment.

In 2017 we were due to celebrate at our favourite restaurant in Berlin, Germany - a restaurant we had visited since 2011 to celebrate - but we got an email to say they had closed down because the building owner had tripled by rent (the space still remains empty to this day)!

In 2018 we had reservations in NYC and when we arrived at the restaurant we were told they were overbooked and our table would be available at 10.40 (it was 7.15pm booked for 7.30pm)!!!

This year my travels (largely work related) has us in Dubai with reservations at a fabulous restaurant we have dined at before.

After 100-minutes we walked out after waiting that long for.....

pasta!

Last year we had club sandwiches at the hotel - same this year!

Looking forward to pizza at home next year!

:cool: Peter

2. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

6CFFD00F-FEB9-4A53-903C-E6A990B1BD4C.jpeg On the one hand, for some weird coincidence, restaurant plans fell through for you and your wife three years in a row on the same date.

On the other hand you were in Berlin, New York City, and Dubai on successive years for your wedding anniversary.

And you live in the pile up above.

I don’t know how much empathy/sympathy you’re going to get…:lol:

3. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

We keep it local. Find something you both really enjoy and use it for special occasions only. If it bombs out, we could drive down the street. Kind of a wild swing to go from a 'special night out' to grabbing a sandwich or a pizza, eh?

PeterUK likes this.
  4. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

I couldn't help but wonder if you knew the difference between Dubai and Abu Dhabi.

Apparently the people in Dubai don't like The Flintstones.

But the people in Abu Dhabi do.

:rolleyes:

Here's hoping for a great anniversary next year for you and your wife!

5. urbandefault

urbandefault Tele-Meister

For dinners, we keep it close. Our favorite Mexican joint is about 5 miles down the road and we always get a table right away.

But for anniversaries, if we're not going out of town to an event, we just make a day of it. Breakfast at a favorite diner, a walk through a park, hit some shops, take in a movie. Lunch, drinks, dinner. Pretty spontaneous.

This year we spent the day at the track, watching the ponies. Got a nice table in the club, nice meal, good drinks.

Planning is too stressful. We just enjoy each other's company. :)

drlucky likes this.
  6. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

We don’t go on Saturday night for celebrations. It’s usually quieter, more intimate and the tables are more reliable mid week. Just a thought That’s hard to do if you’re getting away for the weekend...

We also don’t go to ‘destination’ restaurants opting for hidden gems on the way up. Like you, I’m not a fan of overbooking.

Bassman8, NewKid and nojazzhere like this.
  7. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I've heard of marriages being doomed to failure, but not anniversaries.....;)
    Since I haven't had an anniversary to celebrate in nearly forty years, and it's not likely that there will be one in the future, I congratulate (and sorta envy) what I hope is your successful union. Yes, I'm sorry your plans went awry, but I hope you and your wife can laugh it off, and look at it as funny stories to pass on to your grandchildren. Best wishes.....

PeterUK likes this.
  8. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Pizza at home would be my first choice anyway.
    I'd call that a win.:)

9. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

I dont have any recommendations.... we've done amusement parks for anniversaries, but restaurants are not something we've planned out in advance.
    If the pizza somehow doesn't work out, contact a university to conduct a case study.....

PeterUK and Chunkocaster like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

Restaurants in our immediate area aren't very good, mostly either chains (predictable) or Mom & Pops serving reheated Sysco frozen food (ugh).

I can recommend The Falls and Five and Ten in Athens, GA though.

11. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

Waiting 100 minutes in Dubai doesn't seem too horrific. @Mike Eskimo got that right.

We ended up driving 90 miles just to find a restaurant open on my wife's birthday (January 4th) a few years ago in a tough winter in 4WD, blowing snow and black ice, so now we celebrate it on her "unbirthday", 6 months later in July with another couple where her birthday is Jan. 6th with the same problem too.

PeterUK likes this.
  12. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not sure about foreign places but, one problem these days is restaurants often buy the same products from the same suppliers like Sysco. So what you are getting is a basic item modified/enhanced (or not) by the restaurant. Diversity of choices and flavors suffers, except at the best restaurants with a real chef who invents things and buys from local produce ot farmers etc.
    I am continually disappointed now days.

PeterUK likes this.
  13. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Our anniversary is tomorrow, Monday! Now I’m scared! Being a Monday, I’m not certain that she will want to go out. Maybe I’ll just grab some flowers on the way home. She’s been a bad girl lately, so flowers might even be too much.

PeterUK likes this.
  14. Bob Womack

Bob Womack Tele-Holic

Shooting a little high, are we? :)

My lovely new bride and I started our honeymoon on the fourth of July weekend, 1980. I booked and paid a year in advance for our hotel rooms and checked up regularly on the bookings. The day after the wedding my wife became sick. We arrived at the Philadelphia Holiday Inn right off Independence Square and I was told that they had given away our honeymoon suite and there were no rooms available. Holiday Inn, which had previously been my home-away-from-home, refunded my money and apologized. I was left without a hotel room, six hundred miles from home, with a sick wife in booked-out Philadelphia. It took all day to find a room, any room, a horrible room at a Ramada in an industrial area on the western outskirts of town. I've routinely asked Holiday Inn if they cared to make good in some way and they have declined. I haven't knowingly stayed in a Holiday Inn since.

We moved on to the Best Western in Front Royal, VA, where I had the honeymoon suite booked. When we arrived we were told that our honeymoon suite had been given away. They did, however, have a regular room.

Two nights later the "Sheraton Beer Can" (Now the Park Vista Doubletree) overlooking Gatlinburg, TN, announced to us that they had given away our specially-booked room but were able to give us a regular room. We gave up and only stayed one of our two booked nights there.

Bob

PeterUK likes this.
  15. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That is totally inexcusable. The restaurant knows exactly how many covers it can cater for, so overbooking is just a reckless gamble that if some people don't show up, the place will still be rammed. It's greedy and stupid, because I'm sure you won't be the only ones who will never book there again.

Sorry to hear your anniversaries have been spoilt this way.

This seems to be the trend in the Western World. It started with restaurant chains, then it got to supplier chains delivering what is largely premade meals. What really annoys me, when we eat out, is finding the food isn't as good as we could have cooked ourselves. A main that is quite tasty but comes with some tired salad and undercooked fries is a sure sign there is no-one in the kitchen knows how to operate anything other than the microwave.

Dried out pasta means that dish was under the warming lamps on the pass for too long before they finally got the other dishes together. I could go on... Don't even get me started on pub 'Sunday Roasts' with vegetables that have been cooked sometime last week!

Here in the UK, I get a depressing feeling that a lot of people don't even know what real food, cooked from fresh ingredients and served straight to the table, actually tastes like. Too often, I've read reviews on-line about "delicious food" only to discover we've got better sitting in our freezer.

I'm sad to say about the only places round here that cook well are a couple of curry houses and a relatively expensive bistro.

Nightclub Dwight and PeterUK like this.
  16. simoncroft

simoncroft Tele-Meister

That is shocking! This practice is obviously industry-wide.

PeterUK likes this.
  17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

My mom and I were at a new Chinese restaurant a couple of weeks ago and asked if the pot sticker appetizers were from a box (before we ordered). The waiter said yes.

What I really meant was, “Should we never come here again?” and the answer is the same.

Why even have a restaurant if you’re going to serve food from a box?

PeterUK, jhundt and Fretting out like this.
  18. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

My father in law died on our first anniversary. A good friend died on our 6th anniversary. We decided to celebrate the anniversary of our first date. I got thrown under the bus on that date after 10 years at the company I was working for.

PeterUK likes this.
  19. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

My wife and I were planning on going to Key West for our anniversary and long overdue honeymoon. We stayed home that year after the hurricane hit:( but it allowed us to pray for friends:)

PeterUK likes this.
  20. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Arroyo Chop House, Pasadena California.

PeterUK likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.