We’re doing something different for Christmas this year

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Junkyard Dog, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

My family (immediate family, i.e. wife and children) decided to try something different this year rather than buy gifts for each other, wrap them up, etc. Instead this weekend we stopped at a Walmart on the way to visit my parents in, and everybody picked out some basic items they wanted or needed. I got a coffee maker, my wife got a water pitcher and some glasses, our son got a football and new mouthguard, and my daughter got some phone accessories. We paid for those and then went to the layaway counter, which surprisingly had no line (very early I guess)! I told the person behind the counter we were here to pay off a layaway account. She asked for the name on my account. I told her that I did not have one and that we wanted to pay off someone else's account. Whose account, she asked. I told her that I did not know, but to find one that had toys and childrens clothing on it...no brassieres or flat screen TVs or anything like that. The lady behind the counter was a new trainee, and she had to call someone over to help. She was really having fun searching the accounts for a match, and after several minutes she found one. Perfect! The Walmart employee was SO excited! And at this point, my wife and kids and I were caught up in the fun too. My children were looking at the items on the account, noticing some were toys they once had, imagining how much fun these kids would have playing with them, etc. We paid off the account and got the receipt. We do the Angel Tree at the church and Toys for Tots at the VFW and whatnot too, but the feeling we got from this was different...indescribable really! Anyway, then my wife says "we should find another one!" We all look at each other...YEAH LET'S DO IT! This will definitely be added to our family's Christmas traditions!!!

2. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Friend of Leo's

Superb - just superb. Sounds like a very special family you have there.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  3. jimilee

jimilee Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice, just nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  4. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Oh that was you?? Thanks man! I thought I left my wallet in the Limo, but no luck, told the cashier to put it on layaway and I'd be back. :p

All terrible joking aside... Very cool thing to do!!!

5. stormsedge

stormsedge Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Excellent! It is great to share one's blessings!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  6. Junkyard Dog

Thanks for kind words. Really we don’t feel like we are special or anything, and there are MANY families all over the place helping others in MANY ways. And FYI our children (and us too) still get tons of gifts from grandparents...e.g. daughter is getting whatever the latest iphone is.

But this was just so much fun for us! We have to drive to Michigan the weekend before Christmas, and we are already scoping out the route to see if we can hit another Walmart on the way!

nojazzhere and JL_LI like this.
  7. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Great idea!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  8. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

Is there any chance at all you have enough money left over to make an old fella happy by buying him a Merle Haggard Tuff Dog? :D

Just kidding, nice gesture on you and your families part!

nojazzhere and Junkyard Dog like this.
  9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

There really are other folks that do things to help out less fortunate families, but that doesn't mean what you and YOUR family did is any less impressive. Especially the lesson and "gift" you're giving your children. They will likely grow up, have their own families, and tell them the story about what they and their mom and dad did for someone else's Christmas.....in my opinion that's the best gift and spirit of Christmas I've heard in a long time.
    Thanks for what y'all did, and thanks for sharing the story.....hopefully it will inspire others here (who are likely generous and thoughtful people already) to do similar acts of kindness. My best wishes to you and your wonderful family.....may you have the best new year ever! :):):)

Toto'sDad and Junkyard Dog like this.
  10. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems the "spirit of Christmas" has not yet been killed off!

Thank you...

11. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

:lol::lol::lol:

12. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Our immediate family stopped with gifts per se. Maybe some homemade food like baked goods or preserves when we gather. We pool the money we would have spent and donate to a few charities we support.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Very, very cool, and inspiring.

Junkyard Dog and nojazzhere like this.
  14. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

Cool idea and very kind of ya'll!

Much better than what I anticipated (shelf on an elf) ;)

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Meister

Awesome!

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  16. RetroTeleRod

RetroTeleRod Poster Extraordinaire

Great idea! That's the true meaning of Christmas.

Junkyard Dog likes this.
  17. Junkyard Dog

Just in case anybody is considering it, it only costs $200-$400 to do this. And Walmart gives you a "Good Samaritan" receipt :). No joke, it literally says "Good Samaritan" right on it. No idea if the receipt may be used for tax purposes or not, but it basically says you can't change your mind and ask for a refund.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.