1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WD Telecaster Neck Review

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Missing Link, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Missing Link

Missing Link Tele-Meister

To start this review I have to mention that I have built a few guitars to include the telecaster but mostly on a budget. I think a lot of guys and gals can relate to that. I have a family and I am not a professional builder and love guitars and love to paly, but the family comes first. With that said I will processed on.
    I just finished recently a Mahogany body Tele with as much of the best parts I could afford. One of the items I could not afford was a new Fender neck or one of the higher priced necks. I will come clean and say that I have bought the yes Chinese made necks that have what seems the most bad raps. Out of the three I have bought one was pretty dang good and if not mistaken was around $30. The rest were okay but had problems. So this go around I decided to buy from a dealer who we all know or should know and that is The Stratoshere in NH, USA. They have a large amount of guitar necks from many sources brands to choose from. With a low budget (after taxes season) of about $100 I found a neck from WD music who is licensed by Fender to make replacement guitar necks. I wanted a 22 fret and found one for $109.00 plus $17.00 shipping. Personally I think the shipping price is a bit much for a 2 lbs. neck box to travel a full 7 or so days across the USA by UPS. I have paid that much on similar items and had the items in two days, my 2 cents. Anyway at that price I was a bit skeptical on were it was made - maybe China? China does make some quality parts.
    So I emailed WD music to ask that question were are they made and never got a reply. Emailed the Stratoshere and was told that they are made in the Czech Republic. Well that's different so I ordered the Rosewood Satin 12" radius TR model for a tele replacement.
    Fast forward to now.
    It arrived in a typical neck sized box with only a few creases in the box, lucky me. The neck on the inside was well wrapped and with out damage. When fitted in the body it is a bit tight but goes in and out without much effort. Fender dimensions.
    When removed from the packing the necks wood felt very smooth and well sanded with a small coating of sealer. Not sticky but smooth. The rosewood shows lots of pores along the complete necks fretboard but not as bad as some I have seen, see pictures.
    I checked the 4mm truss rod to see about how flat or straight the neck is and I found that the headstock truss rod hex nut in the opening was set a bit low for me to engage the end with my 4mm hex wrench. This looks to were CC (quality control) had failed. This maybe be just this neck but still not something that should of gotten past the line inspection. I have marred the edges of the decretive opening due too it being very low in the opening. When it was adjusted to were I believe was straight I found the 1st fret half with a .004 gap with a straight bar and the last 3 full frets with a .005 gap, the rest of the center frets were without gaps. Now I not to worried about this as when the neck is under tension from the strings all changes anyway to a point, just hope is it not negative one.
    The frets themselves are well seated and good quality, nickel looks like and are groomed very well, but after a check with my fret lever checker I found that around 70% of the frets will need to ne leveled. This is not a concern for me as I have done many before but for folks that have not and have no tools you may have to take it somewhere for a fret level job. I was hoping to avoid the fret work as the frets looked so good.
    The inlays on the fret board are straight and in line as it can get using my laser and are also well flushed with the surface of the rosewood, no bumps or humps.
    The side inlays are well centered and line up nicely with the main inlays. nothing offset.
    The tuning holes are nicely and cleanly drilled to 10mm without any chipping.
    The fret board glued to the neck is very well done without and overhang on the sides. When set on a flat table the heel lays nice and flat as does the back of the headstock and without any wobble, and yes the neck is without any twists, humps, or any of that fret side view stuff you see while looking down were sometimes you see high and low frets pocking up or out, this is perfect on both sides, very straight and cleanly groomed, no sharp fret over hang. Well done.
    The pictures tell a story also on the heel size and height along with the nut channel (nut not included).
    I have to say other than needing a fret level job and the truss rod being set a bit low in the opening to archive easy access, this neck for us folks on a low budget but love to build maybe a good choice.
    Now I have bought the Fender $300 and up necks before but my honest opinion is this neck can work just as good with some care. The maple on this neck is heavy and stout so I believe that WD is staying within the boundaries of the Fender replacement contract. This is my 35 cents worth on this neck so I hope it helps someone who is looks also at this replacement neck.
    If you have found a good alternate tele or strat neck other than the high cost necks let us know what you found.
    Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Auherre756 likes this.
  2. Missing Link

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
  3. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Thanks for the review. I was seriously looking at one of these via eBay (and I’m working in the USA at the moment so could legally bring one back with duty) but based on your review it’s price ‘competitively’ for a reason.

I’m looking for a neck with truss rod adjustment at the headstock but I’ve got a specific radius and profile I want, so I realises I’m going to have to go the custom route.

The guys at Guitarbuild in Lincoln look to be making great necks but even though I’ve emailed them for more detailed specs I don’t feel confident to pull the trigger - and they don’t appear to offer headstock truss rod adjustment.

Your review has been really helpful. Thanks again.

:) Peter

4. Missing Link

I have read post by others that have been a big help to me so I am more than happy when I can is repay with some honest information. As for the neck it is the bottom of the price line so to say but the more I work with it I believe it will fit my bill just fine. The radius of 12 is not for everyone and I do not think that WD has a wide verity of radius to offer. I wish you luck.
    I see Nottingham as home, mine was Liverpool, don't hold that against me, Ha.
    Cheers

PeterUK likes this.
  5. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Ha ha! No issues with Liverpool at all!

Thanks again.

:) Peter

6. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

When you said 4 & 5mm i thought good god then saw your photos that ain't mm's mate if it was there would be a serious problem
    The WD necks are excellent check out Hosco necks made in Japan really good quality

7. Missing Link

Good catch, Hosco did you buy one if so you should give a review. Like to hear about it.
    Cheers

8. Urshurak776

Urshurak776 Tele-Holic

Nice choice. The XP line at GFS are decent also, but will also require some fret leveling. My cheapy partscaster has one of those $30 necks. I must have gotten lucky. It was actually pretty good. I would buy one again.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.