1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

WD Necks?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jamesgmac, Jan 25, 2021.

1. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

Hi everyone. Currently I have a partscaster tele with a Warmoth neck. It's got a 9.5" radius, but I've been wanting to try a 12" radius neck. There's a WD 12" radius neck on Stratosphere for $109, plus shipping. I've read reviews that say WD are terrible when it comes to the fretwork on them. Has anyone had any experience with WD lately? I never had my Warmoth neck leveled- it seemed fine right out of the box with the action I like- medium. What doi you think?
    Thanks!
    Jim

2. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

I have a WD neck on a hardtail Strat partscaster. I did a little bit of touching up with a beam and a crowning file, but it didn't take much. All in all, it's a decent neck for the price.

That's a sample size of one, so take it for what it's worth.

3. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

You might want to think about an Allparts neck instead of the WD. Affordable high quality. So far I have never one had that needed fret work except to scrape the finish off the frets on a one piece maple neck.

Muku likes this.
  4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Afflicted

I expect for $109 the WD necks will be half way done, which isn't necessarily a knock if you know how to dress frets.

I bought a solid rosewood vintage Tele neck from them. It looks like the last step in their production was snipping the fret ends, then they ship it. And what I mean by that is that the neck comes to you with sharp fret ends

The wood is gorgeous, the frets are all seated properly, the neck is flat, the truss rod works.

I'm quite happy.

Expectations are everything.

I expected, and got the same sharp frets on a $109 Allparts maple neck.

You are going to pay a good bit more for finished frets on a finished neck.

How much is a finished Warmoth neck, dressed frets and all?

5. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

I have no experience with leveling, or the tools. I never had the Warmoth neck leveled. Action is 4/64 with no major buzzing. I just tru oiled it and put it on 4 years ago. It was $159. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone. Thanks for the input. Stay well everyone

6. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

Depends on what you mean by a lot more I suppose. Stratosphere has a lot of finished Allparts necks for not that much more than $109 IMHO. Maybe $60-$90 more. The fret work has been pretty solid on the ones that I got. TBH, I think that Allparts necks are more in line with American, Japanese, and Mexican Fender model guitars. I think WD would be more like Squire and Affinity.

7. SbS

SbS Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Not sure if more expensive WD necks in Europe are different or the same ones, but finishing was quite good in mine. I'll have a pro doing setup and finishing later this week, but it has been at least playable from the start. No buzzing, nor overly sharp edges.

8. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I have a Fender-licensed all rosewood Tele neck from WD Music, via Stratosphere. It's a great neck, no problems whatsoever.

Even though on the surface it looked just as good as any Fender neck, in my experience all separate necks that have never been on a guitar will need a light fret level. Frets are pressed into variable density hardwood. The tolerance for any one fret, compared to the adjacent ones, is very tiny, about two thousandths of an inch.

You could have chosen to skip dressing the frets on my neck, and it would still have played OK. But for a great setup, I always level the frets on a new neck.

old wrench, Mr Green Genes and SbS like this.
  9. dfab

dfab TDPRI Member

I'm thinking of replacing the neck on my Tele with a Warmoth neck. I like a really flat radius with a wide nut and a shallow neck profile (think Charvel Jackson) and Warmoth seems to have the options to make this neck. Should I have them drill the mounting holes? Has anyone had issues with the hole placement when trying to retrofit their necks to an existing body?

10. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

11. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

I bought a 12" radius WD neck from Atlantic Custom Guitars a few years ago. James from Atlantic Custom did some spot leveling before shipping, and it was perfect. And I'm fussy as heck about fret leveling.

He was also extremely helpful, checking exact nut width at my request. Terrific guy to work with.

You may want to look him up on Reverb to ask him if he still does the spot leveling. https://reverb.com/shop/atlantic-custom-guitars?product_type=parts&category=necks

12. smoothrecluse

smoothrecluse Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The WD neck that I got a few days ago really impressed me for the price. Fixed a couple of high frets and polished the frets, and I’m in business for 90 bucks.

That Cal Webway and RedRhino like this.
  13. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

message sent, these last to comments from tdpri members are making me think go for it. thanks!

Last edited: Jan 28, 2021
  14. RedRhino

RedRhino TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I too bought a WD neck from James at Atlantic Custom Guitars and I was very pleased with it. James is a great merchant to purchase from and he does quality work. I've bought several Tele harnesses from him that were really well constructed!

15. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

I've had both Allparts and WD necks

Allparts frets had to have the finish burnished off them and the ends beveled ; WD frets were clean and as I recall slightly beveled, but there was a slight twist in the neck above fret 15 -- not a big issue, my tech had to drop the saddle a little

for the price, I was satisfied and didn't mind the experience

+1 James at ACG was great to deal with

16. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I have an $89 WD neck that I bought from Stratosphere. For $89, it looked great (though the headstock seems small) and was really stable. The frets were sharp though, it was narrow at the nut, the nut was kind of an irregular size (couldn't find a Tusq preslotted nut that would work), and had a few high frets.

I replaced it with a Warmoth because I wanted a fatter neck. The Warmoth was perfect. Even the fret work was perfect. But, it cost twice as much too. The WD necks are fine on their own, but you may be disappointed when comparing to the Warmoth neck you already have.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  17. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Interesting that most of these WD necks being reported on seem to be around $100 more or less. I paid $200 for my rosewood one. Obviously more for the rosewood, but I wonder if it went through a 'better' process, too. Because it was flawless.

18. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I think they had or still hv two tiers of necks.

For a while I think the cheaper necks were made in the Czech republic.

19. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

I bought an all rosewood WD neck and love it. Frets were finished nicely and plays like a dream. Looking at buying another and am seeing a $60 price increase. If people are paying more, they must be doing something right.

moosie likes this.
  20. jamesgmac

jamesgmac TDPRI Member

I got the WD neck from stratosphere. ACG doesn't do spot leveling anymore. It had a couple high frets, nothing too bad. Lowered them with some sandpaper taped to a flat block. I had a level so i picked up a variety pack of finer sandpaper and gave the frets just a quick couple swipes back and forth. I didn't mark them with a sharpie because I was afraid if I did I'd go overboard and too far. Sandpaper wrapped around your finger really does round the frets after being flattened, at least enough for me. Polished with 0000 steel wool after. $135 for the neck, $4 for the sandpaper. The neck feels and plays great. The Warmoth was good, but I love the 12" radius and the 1 11/16 nut width is more comfortable for me than the 1 5/8 the Warmoth has. The neck is also thicker than the Warmoths Standard C, also more comfortable to play. Thanks for all your input!

Attached Files:

TeleUpNorth likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.