Wayne Krantz....

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Strat God, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Strat God

Strat God Tele-Meister

2. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

He's one of these players who is instantly recognizable from the first note. One of my all time favorites since 1990, when 'Signals" came out. His unique voice was already established at that point. He's a killer on all levels. He wrote a book called "An Improviser's OS" that gives you an idea of where he's coming from. Pretty deep stuff. Given your name, Strat God, this must have been a great discovery. WK has always employed all the good Strat sounds in his playing.

3. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

His good stuff is great.

When he starts leaning on the ring modulator and the bassist starts playing in eleventy-seventeen, my interest wanes considerably.

4. chipl

chipl Tele-Holic

Wayne's cool

I'm a fan, too.

I have a couple of his CDs and used to catch him on a regular basis when he was backing up jazz singer/guitarist Leni Stern down at Bar 55 in Greenwich Village many years ago. I also saw him as the lead guitarist on a Steely Dan tour...coulda been mid-90s, and he brought his own sound and style to those shows as well.

Great player who uses gets a really cool sound out of his Strat.

5. lupowitz

lupowitz Tele-Afflicted

He is a very accomplished player whose solo stuff I am not too keen on, but loved him with Steely Dan a lot.
    Here's a footage, the first I encountered him actually, with Leni Stern, from 1990:

and one with Steely Dan:

6. Neill Levine

Neill Levine Tele-Meister

I saw him play at The Basement in Sydney, earlier this year or last year I think?

As a trio, they hit a groove and swing like crazy. I think his solos really lay out a story. The most recent live cd he put out is a good indication of their collective sound.

His book on improvising will twist your mind into new shapes. ("Improviser's O.S.")

NL

7. mr natural

mr natural Friend of Leo's

Astonishing player, but where are the tunes? Noodley noodley don't get you paid or laid.
    -Mr. N.

8. Bernie

Bernie Tele-Afflicted

You might be *half* right...

9. tiktok

tiktok Poster Extraordinaire

Often the case, but for Mr. Krantz I think he's been making a living off music for the last decade or so, and he just got married:

[​IMG]

10. gemktm

gemktm Tele-Meister

Hey... who's the hot babe?

11. smoke

smoke Tele-Meister

His wife and mother of his child, Gabriela Anders. She is also an accomplished jazz singer who used to be signed to Warner Bros. Lost track of her over the years so I am not sure where she landed.

I took lessons from Wayne briefly and he has had a profound influence on me so I am biased. Plus I hate mediocrity.

Wayne should be an inspiration to every guitarist alive. He refused to be ordinary and literally re-learned how to play after getting tired of sounding like any number of famous jazz players. It took him years (around 7 years, I think) to un-learn, then re-learn and the end result is what is in those clips (although the 1990 one was likely pre- or during this period). His sound has become more focused over time as he continues to refine what makes him unique.

With the bar set so low for guitarist and the vast majority content to collect gear and play tired blues licks, someone willing to suck it up and do the hard work should be applauded and respected, even if you don't dig the end result. Just my opinion.

12. detuned

detuned Tele-Holic

Which I agree with. Well spoken, sir!

13. ropiyas

ropiyas TDPRI Member

His Leverkusener Jazztag gig (in 1993) is just...obscene. SO MUCH musicality. I can not pass the second tune. Gotta go back and watch in complete amazement. And mind you, that was 17 years AGO!!!!! Crazy scary.
    Oh yeah, hello, I am a newbie.

14. Breen

Breen Friend of Leo's

I totally enjoyed the one with Leni Stern. He's one of those guys that may be too brainy for us mortals, like Hiromi, but he should be mentioned up there with Pat Metheny or Kurt Rosenwinkal when telling cats who to listen to if ya wanna kick people's butt.

15. FraKo

FraKo Tele-Afflicted

I met him a few years ago, when he was a member of the Underground quartet lead by saxophonist Chris Potter (nowadays Adam Rogers plays that role, with his telecaster). I remember he was playing a Suhr white Strat. Nice guy, great player, very personal musician.

16. octatonic

octatonic Poster Extraordinaire

Wayne just did a clinic last week in London.

He is an incredible player- so in touch with who he is as well- doesn't play the 'stylist' game.

17. Al Watsky

Al Watsky Tele-Afflicted

One thing the list will 100% approve of is the fact that WK used 2 Princeton's as his rig for years. Whats not to like ?
    Good hands an open mind and great imagination.

18. dguitar3

dguitar3 Tele-Holic

Krantz is the man. I've completely worn out Two Drink Minimum. One of my all time favorite records. He is an original through and through.

19. ropiyas

ropiyas TDPRI Member

Yeah, man! No matter how much I've worn out 2DM or Greenwich Mean...when it comes the time to transcribe any random song from those...it's...REALLY a patience test. I mean, REALLY.:(

20. axeornot

axeornot Tele-Meister

I'm a fan of Wayne's - I agree with what you say here. Wow - he has a beautiful wife! She sings jazz too...smoking! Good for him.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.