Waylon- King of the Outlaws

Scottz

Tele-Holic
I think it was 1992 or 1993 the Fraternities at Texas A&M held a BBQ near Lake Summerville in a park that had a covered area. They hired Waylon to play, but the place had no electricity. They backed up his bus and tractor trailer and somehow ran power out of them and he and his band put on a great show. The tickets were $15.00. He walked around talking to folks and seemed to really enjoy being there. I was glad I got to see him.

Gig 'em! Class of 96 (and 99)

Scottz

Tele-Holic
I remember he did a show in Abilene, TX about 86 or so. Evidently a bunch of his relatives showed up and he spent about 5-10 minutes arguing with someone about an old family story. It was hilarious

haggardfan1

Friend of Leo's
I really liked the way Waylon played guitar, not trying to show out with it, just playing enough licks to fill in so the vocals stayed the focus of the song. He was a master of doing a lot without seeming to.

His lead work was in a class by itself. As you said, understated and tasteful, and instantly recognizable. Waylon "Live" from about '76 is a great example of the man at his very best onstage. This Time is one of my all time favorite songs, along with Just To Satisfy You. I always try to do them in a show.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
OK, all these wonderful memories and kind words about one of the true stars of Music.

Something bad about Waylon: Ready?

Jessi Colter. Poor thing, couldn't sing worth a hoot. Still have no idea what that was supposed to be about. I think she ruined a portion of Waylon's career that could've been much better. IMO if he hadn't fooled with her, he'd have outshone George Jones and would've been nipping on Merle's heels.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
OK, all these wonderful memories and kind words about one of the true stars of Music.

Something bad about Waylon: Ready?

Jessi Colter. Poor thing, couldn't sing worth a hoot. Still have no idea what that was supposed to be about. I think she ruined a portion of Waylon's career that could've been much better. IMO if he hadn't fooled with her, he'd have outshone George Jones and would've been nipping on Merle's heels.

You had me right there until you got to the part about nipping at Merles heels. I'm from Bakersfield man! :lol::lol::lol:

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
You're right, of course.

Mr. Haggard left everyone else so far in the dust, and really with just that first #1.

And his rendition of "Sing Me Back Home".

No, Merle's heels are safe, aren't they?

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
^^^^Songwriting ? That alone - no question.

Jessie was an ok singer like Bobby Gentry was a slightly better than ok singer (and a really good writer/arranger)

But both of them didn't really have to worry about that too much did they ?

cosmiccowboy

Tele-Afflicted
You're right, of course.

Mr. Haggard left everyone else so far in the dust, and really with just that first #1.

And his rendition of "Sing Me Back Home".

No, Merle's heels are safe, aren't they?

I liked Merle, but felt Waylon just had a rough edge to him that was enjoyable. Merles stuff sounded country but just ... too clean/processed.

cosmiccowboy

Tele-Afflicted
His lead work was in a class by itself. As you said, understated and tasteful, and instantly recognizable. Waylon "Live" from about '76 is a great example of the man at his very best onstage. This Time is one of my all-time favorite songs, along with Just To Satisfy You. I always try to do them in a show.

You couldn't be more spot on with this comment man! Waylon "LIVE" is an incredible, down to earth, make no bones about it, country piece a work from start to finish! I get the willies every time I hear that dude in the audience give a rebel yell at the beginning of "T for Texas" and Waylon gives it nod with his trademark ... YEAH!

Too flippin' cool! :cool:

Telecaster88

Tele-Afflicted
Happy birthday, Waylon.
IMG_20190615_163757_862.jpg

verb boten

Tele-Holic
Those possible movies simultaneously excite me and terrify me. These kind of biopics are rarely done well. So I'm worried.

I agree, better to not do it than do it badly. Those guys deserve to have the very best telling of their stories, not another standard made-for-hollywood story that forgets the important and dwells on a partially made up script.
Waylon helped pull me into country when the outlaws appeared on the scene. Completely put off by rhinestone studded "superstars" from Nashville, the outlaw look and real-life music was a welcome turn for country music.
It was short-lived but i sure enjoyed my stint in a country band doing a lot of the outlaw tunes. Country music owes them a lot for their kick in the pants in the mid 70s, it got everybody's attention.

ndcaster

Doctor of Teleocity
big Waylon fan, and half of it is his ass kicking rhythm section that still manages to sound country

this is my go-to Waymore

Last edited: