1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Waylon Jennings - what amp and Phasor pedal

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by NancyK, Nov 17, 2004.

1. NancyK

NancyK TDPRI Member

Trying to get sound of the old Waylon records. Sounds like he is using a phaser effect. Anyone know type he used, also the amp he used?

THanks

2. BB

BB Poster Extraordinaire

I'm sure Fuzzy ( and others ) will know the correct answer, but I'll hazard a guess as to a Twin Reverb or Music Man amp and an MXR Phase 90.

3. Teletwang

Teletwang Tele-Afflicted

Not much help here but I saw Waylon in his later
    years using Randall(?) amps and a t.c. electronics
    chorus/flanger.I've also heard,in the 70's, Waylon
    was using Kustom amps w/ a Phase 90.I can only
    guess ,in the earlier days, he used Fender amps
    w/ either an EH Small Stone or Maestro.

4. lenny

lenny Banned

lol fuzzy posted a pic of his "pedalboard" once and it was a "small stone" phaser
    :)

5. InstituteOfNoise

InstituteOfNoise Tele-Holic

A good buddy was a top acoustic session player here in LA back in the 70's-80's and played on a few Waylon Jennings albums. I can ask him and see if he remembers anything back that far.

6. TelecasterSam

TelecasterSam Tele-Afflicted

The time I saw him, he used a Pro Reverb. That was way back though.

7. threadbare

threadbare Tele-Holic

What was that big cabinet amp Waylon us to use??? It was some kind of custom Fender. It was almost as tall as he was.

8. JohnnyAtomic

JohnnyAtomic Tele-Afflicted

i know he used TWO fender super six's live (like a twin with six 10 inch speakers YIKES!), and i read in an interveiw that the phaser on all the old records was a boss.
    johnny atomic

9. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

<li>I wish Reggie Young wood stop by !!
    <li>He has splained tew me onna TELE-Fone many times about watt Waylon used and watt he used whilst pickin lead guitar fer the Outlaws.
    <li>Reggie issa member of this board and I saw him in here a few months back.
    <li>Mebby he'll stop by and splain.
    <li>Now when we opened for Waylon (the Stillwater Savage Band) here inna North state I took and still haff a zillion pictures in several citys and kant fine the one I took of his pedals-------I dunno why. I seem tew member a Worley a bean inna mix but I ain't sure.
    <li>As I recall the amps were Twins mounted in tew cabinets with tew 15" in each but I could be all wet here again.
    <li>I jes hope Reggie cees this and will post. I know Waylon changed a lot over the years.
    <li>Sorry I kant say fur sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Johnny Isaacs

Johnny Isaacs Tele-Afflicted

Waylon!

Well Johnny Atomic is closeist! Waylon had two custom Fender Amps. They were actually two Twins and in the box were a 1x15 + 2x10's ~ in each amp! These were sold off when Waylon had an auction in 97 where he got rid of a lot of road gear. Up until his death in 2002, he used a Twin RI and a 59 Bassman RI everynow and then.

As for pedals, he used a Boss Phaser in the 80's, MXR Phase 90 and a Small Stone in the 70's and a t.c. electronics chorus/flanger from the late 80's on.

Also another item to note, in the 80's Waylon's tele got a set of EMG's.

Johnny Isaacs

11. tellypicker

tellypicker Tele-Meister

The first phasor he used and I saw it on his pedal board in the mid 90's still, was a Maestro. The cheesy one from the 70's , a flat, rectangular one with 3 big colored buttons on top giving 3 choices of swoosh...

12. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

Thanx Fuzzy!

That Waylon pic is the greatest! They ought to give you the Wurlitzer Prize for that post! He was the MAN! Got any more?
    regards,
    alvis

13. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

HEY OL FUZZY

Who are the guys in the truck pic?
    I 'preciate the Waylon stuff!!!
    alvis

14. KRZ4TELE

KRZ4TELE Tele-Holic

HEY OL FUZZY

Who are the guys in the truck pic?
    I 'preciate the Waylon stuff!!!
    alvis

15. 0le FUZZY

0le FUZZY Former Member

16. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Thanks for the cool pictures, Fuzz-Man! I'm going to go to the library and check out the Waylon video they have again. It's a biography thing with interviews and ends with a concert from the late '70's, if I remember right.
    Waylon will always be a part of the people who loved his music and continue to play it.

17. Dave Brophy

Dave Brophy TDPRI Member

I'm going to go with the original big-ass Maestro phase shifter with the 3 large colored rocker switches.I don't know how I "know" that,but I did see Waylon 3x in 1973-74,the first time in a club.My fuzzy memory also says that that was the first phase shifter on the market,predating the MXR Phase 90 and others.

18. Endr'u

Endr'u Tele-Meister

Re: Waylon!

Coincidence... I was reading an old issue of Guitar Player magazine last night, in which there was a great interview with Waylon. He commented that it was his own guitar tech who built/assembled those custom Fender amps for him.

That type of interview is sadly missing from Guitar Player now. I always bought it for the lessons, but also for the insight it offered into the playing styles and influences of guitarists from many genres of music. Of course, much of what made the publication great can be found on this forum...24hrs a day discussion about guitars - but primarily concerned with Telecasters!

19. txjonc

txjonc Tele-Meister

There was a feature on Waylon in the Country Guitar magazine in Feb. '95 and a sidebar with Jerry Bridges who was a guitarist, bandleader and a co-producer for Waylon since the late 70's(this came straight from the magazine). Jerry says in the interview,
    "Waylon is playing through a couple of custom amps. As I understand it, they're the old Master Volume Twin heads with JBL speakers. The only outboard gear he uses are t.c. electronic chorus/flangers, one for each amp-not in stereo. His theory on that is that it gives him a center instead of a swarming, swimming deal."

I'm sorry I don't have a scanner or I would put it on here for ya'll but this is exactly what it say's.

My uncle is a big Waylon fan and he uses the Maestro effect and says he saw Waylon using one in the 70's that he would put on top of his amps and switch it from there. I hope this helps you guys.

Jerry also says about Waylons' guitar,
    "It's a 1953 Tele that was given to him by the rhythm section a long time ago-they bought it and had the leather put on it. Waylon took it and kind of customized it himself. He did the neck work-filed down the frets-himself, by hand. The strings are real low on the neck, which gives it that slapping sound. I think he's got EMG pickups in there now, and he uses Dean Markley light gauge strings."

20. lenny

lenny Banned

fuzzy the rhythm player has a sweet shredder axe!(the guy right in front of you) :lol:
    classic picture. looks like a ton of fun

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.