Way too long...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dougstrum, Jun 24, 2019.

1. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

How many of you leave strings on way too long? Since I put string saver saddles on I hardly break strings any more. Tend to just tune up my favorite play it.

Switched guitars at a gig and realized how dead the strings had gotten on my favorite guitar:(

I think they go down hill so gradually that I just don't notice till it's really bad~the curse of incrementalism...

Torren61 likes this.
  2. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

4-6 hours of gigging and i put on new strings. 2 gigs actually, regardless of time. Just can't stand those old strings.

boredguy6060 and brookdalebill like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Uh, me too!
    I get about 3 gigs out of mine.
    I kill the wound strings.
    It’s not the dreaded acid sweat, it’s my somewhat physical playing style.
    I loathe dead strings.
    I can change a set in roughly 5 minutes.

schmee likes this.
  4. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Ah, you guys make me feel like a slacker!
    I should probably try to set up a schedule, like I have for changing water filter and doing oil changes.

BB likes this.
  5. telepraise

telepraise Tele-Meister

When the tuner says all of them are in tune but the harmonics don't match or the chord just doesn't sound quite right, I know it's time for a change. NYXLs have exacerbated the problem because they really last at least 3x as long, harder to keep track. I'm always delighted though at how much fun it is playing fresh strings and kick myself for not changing them a long time ago.

Torren61, LocoTex, Macrogats and 3 others like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

I don't like that new brassiness of electric guitar strings. I tend to go way past the sell-by date before replacing them just because of that.

I'd like to have new strings on my acoustic every day, but that isn't realistic.

Torren61, LocoTex and dougstrum like this.
  7. wilbarreid

wilbarreid TDPRI Member

I change my guitars more often than I change the strings!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Torren61, dougstrum, BB and 1 other person like this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

On my acoustics, about once a month, if I'm gigging with it or playing it regularly. I've experimented with coated strings, but the jury's still out. On my Logan Custom acoustic/electric, which I gig with every week, I had a set of coated strings (D'Addario EXP26, 11-52) last 4 months. So I did that again, same set of D'Addarios, changed 'em in May, and they're already dead. So if I go back to non-coated strings, about once a month.

On my electrics, whole different ball game. I don't like how bright new strings are, it takes 'em the better part of a week to settle in. But then they lasts months and months. Haven't really tracked the results to see how many months, I just go by feel.

LocoTex and dougstrum like this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Poster Extraordinaire

The only time I noticed is on this one guitar that had the same strings for about 10 years.

I think it's pretty obvious the strings need changing when you need to clean the fretboard.

Although completely unnecessary on guitars that haven't been played much.

10. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Geez. Now that I think about it, it’s been about 2.5-3 years one the current set. I should probably get on it and change them.

11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I change mine when I know I'm going to play out somewhere. Since I haven't done that in years...the strings are years old. Well, at least on my acoustics. I haven't been playing electrics in "years". Even when I was playing actively, I'd change annually or a day or two before an upcoming weekend session/jam.

Nylon strings...I usually don't change those until I can feel 'divots' in the string from fret wear. They usually last me 2-3 yrs when I'm playing regularly. I don't gig, rarely play out...so perhaps a poor model of usage! :D

12. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Holic

Yup. I kind of like the warmer sound of broken-in strings. I'll change them after, I dunno, around 30-40 hours of play, I guess.

13. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Are these too old? They sound a little dull....
    [​IMG]

14. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

Yikes~glad I'm not that bad!!!
    A pastor friend bought a Martin before going off to Africa, then around the world for 30yrs. He asked if I could put new strings on for him~it was like a new guitar when I finished cleaning and restringing;) but it was nothing like that pic Schmee!

15. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Tele-Meister

I'm getting crazy OCD seizures from some of the responses here. Once a YEAR????

I probably change my strings once a month. However I play a little every day, have 3 hour rehearsal twice a week and play a gig at least once a month.

If I could afford it I would probably change them twice a month. Even with a tele, I like the bright metallic sound that comes with fresh strings.

16. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I usually go about once a year..I don't like new strings

17. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I have corrosive sweat, so mine'll start gunking up even if I wipe them down religiously. If I'm lucky I get maybe 20 hours play time out of a set. I had a bandmate back in the '90s that would keep the same strings for a year. Never broke one, never gunked up. I'd go to play his guitar and they'd be all dull and lifeless, then I'd get mad at him and tell him to change his strings. Played with him for 5 years multiple times a week and I bet he had less than a half a dozen sets over that time.

18. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I use Elixir Nanoweb 9-42. They tend to last quite a while. Especially since I have 10 guitars and tend to play them randomly. I find myself not remembering when the strings were changed on specific guitars, so I started writing the date when I changed the strings on a slip of paper along with string brand (if I'm trying some new brand of strings for instance) and sticking the paper in the case. That way I know how long the strings have been on the guitar.

19. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been playing Bass for a few years now on fresh builds, I'm waiting for the strings to lose some zing....:D

My Teles haven't had string changes for a while now as they don't get as much playing time....

anyway, I figure it's metal over magnets that makes the sound.... not how new your strings are... I've never liked the lively new string thing and prefer them to dull off a bit, even on acoustics....:)

20. Steve 78

Steve 78 Tele-Afflicted

I find they go dull after a few days to a week. I can't afford to buy new strings every week, so they get changed when they break (or if I am recording).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.